1st Trimester

No heartbeat @ 6 week u/s...this is okay, right?

I had a miscarriage in June, so my doctor's office allowed me to come in for an early ultrasound this morning.  I am 6 weeks on the dot.  Last week they did my HCG #s, but stopped taking them because they looked good.  Monday: 127, Tuesday 355,  Friday 892...

There was a sac.  The end.  Once he said he didn't see a heartbeat, I kinda tuned him out so that I could avoid tears.  I think he said there was a shadow that he saw that could have been a fetal pole, but he wasn't sure.

I thought it was too early to see a heartbeat so I wasn't freaking out initially, but my doctor didn't seem too optimistic.  He said "it isn't good, but it isn't bad."   But they made me cancel my nurse visit (paperwork and crap) for next week, until they are able to tell if this is a viable pregnancy (ouch).

With my son, I had an u/s at 6w6d and we saw the flicker of a hb.  I know a lot can change in 6 days at this point though.   

I would be more scared if I didn't feel so horrible!  Could I really be so sick without a growing baby inside?  I would think all the symptoms would have gone away if things weren't progressing.  

He scheduled another u/s for next Friday.  I will take some t&p, crossed fingers, or personal stories (good and bad).  

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No heartbeat @ 6 week u/s...this is okay, right?

• imageJenG329:

There was a sac.  The end.  Once he said he didn't see a heartbeat, I kinda tuned him out so that I could avoid tears.  I think he said there was a shadow that he saw that could have been a fetal pole, but he wasn't sure.

I just asked my husband who was at the u/s with me...he said the shadow could have been the yolk sac.  There was no fetal pole. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would still be hopeful at this point.  I'm sorry that you're dealing with the stress, but you will know for sure at you next u/s!
  • Loading the player...
  • Two weeks ago I was certain I was miscarrying. I had been spotting with increasing frequency. I went for an u/s at 6week4days and there was no fetal pole. I hadn't been charting, so I guess I could have o'd late, but with the spotting I was certain. Boy was I wrong. I went in at 7w 4d and their was a baby with a healthy HB. The said I was only 6w6d instead. The bleeding was due to a subchorionic hemetoma. After a few days of pelvic rest I went back. The bleed was gone and baby is still healthy. Please keep hope I really should have! Tp with you!

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Lifting a prayer for you. When do you return for another ultrasound?
  • Sending prayers your way!!!
    Married 4/17/12 Started BDing 1/2012 First BFP 5/4/112 ended in m/c 5/16/12 Second BFP 8/12/12 ended in m/c 09/28/12
  • imagesofamonkey:
    I would still be hopeful at this point.  I'm sorry that you're dealing with the stress, but you will know for sure at you next u/s!

This. It's still early! And it could be even earlier if you have your dates a little off. Don't give up hope! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our LO showed no heartbeat at 6w0d, then at 8w there it was. Don't give up hope. 
  • This happened to me in April. Went in at 6 weeks and a few days and just a sack no heartbeat or fetal pole etc. I KNEW my dates were correct since I was doing fertility treatments at that point. Dr had me come back a week later. There was no change. At 8 weeks I had a D&C. 

I hope that your dates are just off... try to be hopeful there is nothing else you can do, but stay positive.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Praying for you...don't give up hope!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks, everyone!  My next u/s is on Friday- 6 looooong days away!

Its hard to not be optimistic at his point.  I am so sick!  I can't eat anything and I'm so nauseous.  My head is pounding and my boobs hurt when water hits them in the shower!  I couldn't be this sick for no reason, right? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We just had a similar experience. Went in at 6w3d and just a sac. No yolk sac, no fetal pole. At 6w5d it was the same -- blighted ovum. I'm super sick, and my hcg levels are in normal ranges and rising -- the doctors said the body can take awhile to figure out the baby is gone.

I hope this isn't the case for you. Good luck. 

imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • imageHenHen25:

We just had a similar experience. Went in at 6w3d and just a sac. No yolk sac, no fetal pole. At 6w5d it was the same -- blighted ovum. I'm super sick, and my hcg levels are in normal ranges and rising -- the doctors said the body can take awhile to figure out the baby is gone.

I hope this isn't the case for you. Good luck. 

Im so sorry you are going through this!  I had a m/c in June, and although I was early, it hurt like hell!  Prayers to you! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had my first u/s at 5 weeks 6 days and the only thing we saw was the gestational sac and a tiny, barely there yolk sac. My DR had me come back 2 weeks after that which is when we finally saw our LO and heard the heart beat. I think you were just in there too early, definitely don't give up hope yet!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I had a m/c back in May. I had a perfect 1st pregnancy and we never had a viability or dating u/s at all. With my m/c for some reason I said I would really like one. At this point we found no fetal pole or hb at 7 weeks. I was still so very optimistic my dates were wrong. Because that was a friday I waited til tuesday to get blood work. Hcg was great but progesterone was so low at 3. Yet still I remained optimistic. Two days later I began to miscarry and I honestly couldn't believe it. It took a loong time for my levels to drop so my body still thought I was pg. 

I am so scared that the same will happen this time. My first u/s is scheduled for next thursday at 6 weeks.  

I know what you are going through but I have read SO SO SO many stories that were the opposite ending of mine given our same circumstance. You cannot lose hope. lots of t & p coming your way! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Anxiety is totally normal after losses and I'm so sorry you are going through this. Seeing a HB at 6 wks exactly is hit or miss. I wanted to get my first u/s before I left on vacation at 6.5 wks and my Dr wouldn't do it because she knows it's normal not to see anything at that point and didn't want me to stress over nothing. Went in at 7w1day and saw a healthy little bean. Try to stay calm as best as you can. Sending prayers your way!
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
     TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 . Rainbow Baby born at 37 weeks, all natural, after 10 weeks of bedrest. BFP #4 ST. PATTY'S DAY 2014. EDD 11/25/14 
  • I had a VERY similar experience. I hope mine can help you find some hope in yours.

I wasn't exactly sure when I ovulated, but I was certain that I had a period in mid April. So, any time after that I could have conceived, but my cycles have always been iffy and off since DS was born. Because of the uncertainty, they did an early u/s. I was supposed to, per LMP, 10 weeks, but I knew that I was not 10 weeks. I wasn't sure exactly how far along I WAS, but I knew I wasn't 10 weeks far.

They did the transvaginal u/s, and confirmed there was a yolk sac but obviously no heartbeat. In fact, the doctor said, "It's possible that the embryo stopped growing. This is 4 weeks, at best. It's very possible this isn't a viable pregnancy." He suggested that I wait two weeks and come back to have another u/s, or I could have hcg levels drawn as well as the additional u/s in 2 weeks.

After that visit, I felt so defeated. From the beginning of this pregnancy, I had such anxiety that anything and everything was going to go wrong. So, when he said that it's "very possible the pregnancy isn't viable", I took his word for it. I was certain that this was over. I was even trying to come to terms with it.

But, FI and I decided to do the hcg blood draw. It took about 4 days all in all for us to learn that the numbers were doubling and looking great. Then, at our second u/s, we saw the heartbeat and the embryo was, in fact, growing. Granted, we are nowhere near the home stretch, but everything has been smooth sailing thus far.

Send a prayer your way that everything is fine! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thinking good thoughts for you!
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 12/26/11 ~ EDD 9/6/12 ~ MMC discovered on 1/27/12 @ 8w1d (measured 6w2d)

BFP #3 8/10/12 ~ EDD 4/23/13 ~ MMC discovered on 9/13/12 @ 8w2d (measured 6w6d)
  • 6 weeks is really early. I don't even know why they do ultrasounds that early. Wait a few weeks and I bet there will be something there. Sending good thoughts your way.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• If you are confident in your dates, then I would be concerned. The lack of heartbeat is not the concern. A couple days can make a huge difference. The absence of a fetal pole is the concern. At 6 weeks, the yolk sac and fetal pole should be clearly visible. If it was not, then I think you need to prepare yourself for bad news.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this. Back in April we experienced a missed miscarriage. I was sure about the last date of my period and thought I was 10 weeks went into to my first appointment and discovered that the embryo hadn't grown past 6 weeks. Now, I'm pregnant again and my doctor offered to give me an Informal ultrasound she is only available on August 31st for this, so by my calculations I would be exactly 6 weeks. She wrote back and said that 6 weeks is a little early to see much, but that we could at least date the pregnancy. She also said that she wanted me to know that if I opted to come in for this informal ultrasound, that it is quite common to not see a heartbeat at this time it often appears later in the 6th week and can vary depending on the woman and technical equipment. Right now, I've opted to just wait until my standard 1st OB appointment at 9 weeks. Given my missed miscarriage in April, I know I will be anxious if there is no heartbeat at 6 weeks despite what my Dr. said.

I'm really surprised that your Dr. didn't tell you this and that he said that your pregnancy might not be viable. 6 weeks is way early to make that call. I will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • At 6w0d we saw nothing.  Just the sac.

I am now 35 weeks pregnant. 

there is hope.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • At 5w4d all we had was a sac, a yolk sac, and potentially a shadow of a fetal pole. No heartbeat.  I think it's a little extreme for your doctor to say it isn't good since it is perfectly normal at that gestational age to only see what you saw. 

Search Boards
"
"