Single Parents
Options

Complicated living situation/ disciplining DS

Hey All!

So this is my 1st time posting on this board.. never thought I'd be here (as many of us I'm sure) but Hello :) I'm 27, have a super successful career and the most wonderful son.. My biggest issue is my little boy not listening to me!

My DS is 20 months old and I feel like I'm having a bit of an issue disciplining him. My living situation is kind of complicated. When I broke up with DS's father, I moved into my grandma's house. I have the whole upstairs attic/apartment for me & him. However, my grandma lives downstairs as well as my uncle. My mom also lives in the other house my grandma owns right next door. My brother also lives the next road over with his girlfriend. So at any given time my house is filled with people. My grandma is old school and cooks huge family dinners every night for all of us. So there is always people here. The problem is  - - No one follows through with my disciplining techniques. (I count to 3 and he used to stop at 1 OR we do time out which he no longer sits for) EVERYONE spoils him, and then they complain when he doesn't listen. No one takes me seriously and it's super frustrating. My son is being a typical toddler and causing chaos all over the house, and I try to tell him "NO", 1- 2-3, he looks at me like he could care less and keeps doing what he's not supposed to. I take him to time out, he throws a temper tantrum and refuses to sit. I spent 40 mins last Saturday just placing him back in the time out spot and he still didn't sit, I gave up b/c I was late for a party we had to attend. How do I regain control in this situation? The only light at the end of the tunnel I see is moving out, but I get no support from his father (court keeps getting postponed) and I'm literally in a financial bind. Any advise from any mom's in a similar situation? HELP! Please lol 

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Complicated living situation/ disciplining DS

• Options
    When my girls were that little, I'd sit and hold them in time out. After a while, I was able to set them in time out, and now they get sent to their rooms. Set a timer, even if it's just on your cell phone, for 2 minutes. Do one minute for every year that he is (and since he's almost 2, that should work). I totally get the double standard your family sets for you - my mom spoils my girls, gives me flack for disciplining, and then my sister bad mouths me if they misbehave even slightly. 

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• Options

imageDarthNBJenni:
    When my girls were that little, I'd sit and hold them in time out. After a while, I was able to set them in time out, and now they get sent to their rooms. Set a timer, even if it's just on your cell phone, for 2 minutes. Do one minute for every year that he is (and since he's almost 2, that should work). I totally get the double standard your family sets for you - my mom spoils my girls, gives me flack for disciplining, and then my sister bad mouths me if they misbehave even slightly. 

Thanks! I'm going to try and hold him in time out and see how that works out! I love that my family loves him so much {obviously} but I hate how they never follow through with the rules I set, and then look at me like I have 3 heads when he doesn't listen the next time! It's a slippery slope this single parent world LOL

Thanks again :) btw- your kids are so cute! 

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"