December 2010 Moms

NBR: skylight in your bedroom?

Our new house has this gorgeous first floor master bedroom that has been completely remodeled and I love it.  Problem is, there are skylights!  The idea of looking at the stars in bed is nice, but how annoying is that going to be when the sun comes up at 5:30am?  I mean, obviously nobody in my house sleeps in now, but someday I hope to again.  

Does anyone have skylights in their bedroom?  What do you do?  Is there some type of cover that I should look into?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR: skylight in your bedroom?

• I had one several years ago in an apartment. What I wound up doing was putting a curtain on it using two tension rods and sewing the end of the curtain over each end. Nice in theory....horrible at 5 a.m. on a Saturday. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I dont have one now,but I had one in my bedroom as a child.It honestly didnt bother me as much,so I know I am no help to you but it is such a nice feature to have.

I am not sure if my parents had it where the skylight was tinted etc,but I was never bothered by it. I know it saves money big time because you literally only have to use the lights only at night.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a sky light in the master bath and it had a little Venetian blind.  It came with a long pole so you could adjust the blind.  When we had the house painted though, I had them remove the blind...I like it better without.  Of course, that's the bathroom not the bedroom.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just called my mom and she said there were blinds there before,but then she had a skylight cover placed on it.
  • We have one in our bedroom and we love it. They make blinds for them so the sun isn't shining at 5:30am.
  • We don't have one but our bedroom wall isn't a full wall to the top (we live in a loft) so the back door is right there pretty much.  It's hard to describe but a good bit of light definitely comes in despite the shades on the door.  We're really used to it now though.  I bet it looks nice!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!!  I looked online, and did see blinds for it, but wow - they are expensive!!

I think I will definitely just see how it works out.  I figure we are moving in mid-September and since the sunrise is so late in the day, it won't affect us until spring. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"