Military Families
Options

When to tell boss we're PCSing

My husband is military. we will be PCSing sometime in December we think. When should I tell my boss/coworkers? There is another girl who is pregnant in our offive and there was talk of doing a baby shower for us. I don't want to wait till the last minute to tell my boss and leave them scrambling for a replacement, I don't want to tell them too soon either because until the Army writes his orders, nothing is set in stone. I don't think my job would fire me over this, I just don't want to seem like I was holding out for the baby shower and then I split. When is a good time to let everyone know we're leaving?
Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

Re: When to tell boss we're PCSing

• Options

For sure not until you get your orders, and then I would only give the required 2-4 weeks notice. It wont look like your staying to get a shower, it will look like your husband is military and he has orders.

If you tell too soon you risk something changing, or them replacing you before your ready to go...

Good Luck!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Options

imagenursemullinax:
    My husband is military. we will be PCSing sometime in December we think. When should I tell my boss/coworkers? There is another girl who is pregnant in our offive and there was talk of doing a baby shower for us. I don't want to wait till the last minute to tell my boss and leave them scrambling for a replacement, I don't want to tell them too soon either because until the Army writes his orders, nothing is set in stone. I don't think my job would fire me over this, I just don't want to seem like I was holding out for the baby shower and then I split. When is a good time to let everyone know we're leaving?

When you first started your job was it ever outlined how far in advance you should put in your notice? Every job I have ever worked had a book outlining the company's policies.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're in a right to work state so we don't actually have to give any notice at all. You should look into your state guidelines. 2-4 weeks seems like ample time though. That's what I'm planning.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    NSLNSL member
    Wait for orders.  Plans can and do change.
  • Options

To those of you who said wait for orders b/c plans change, boy were you right. The unit DH is going to at Polk has changed twice now, and his CSM is now fighting to keep him here. So we may not be leaving at all. IDK how I feel about it. I was starting to get pumped about the move and a change of scenery. But at the same time, LA is not a compact state, so it would be hassle to tranfer my nursing license and find a job. IDK how to feel.

Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

From experience on this one: Wait as long as you can.  For sure don't say anything until you have orders in hand.  Regarding the shower, just tell them you'll let them know when you can.  I told my boss and co-workers way early and ended up getting pretty much shafted for work the entire summer.  Even better was that I'd hoped to transfer to the new location within the company and that didn't happen.  I wish I'd kept my mouth shut until about a month before we left (I'd been there 4 years.  They knew a PCS was coming but didn't know when/where). 

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"