Pregnant after 35
Options

41 and proud!

Hi there, I'm 8 weeks pregnant and 41 years old, I had a dr who has told me about 4 times now that 1 in 4 women my age miscarry, well I think she should keep her opinions to herself! I went for my first ultrasound last week and the little heartbeat was good and strong at 150, I also have a 2 year old who is healthy as a horse and a handful and a half!

Re: 41 and proud!

• Options

Welcome and congrats!!

It bugs me when doctor's say stuff like that!!  What's the point?  My G-ma had my mom at 40 and my uncle at 43 in the late 1940's so older ladies have been having healthy babies for a LONG time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm 41 also (birthday yesterday:). While our risks are higher, they go down dramatically as each week passes. And, if you've had the screening tests successfully, you've already got better odds than "average" too. I've tried to keep a glass-half-full attitude about it and I think/hope it's helped me through the scary beginning. Good luck to you too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll be 41 on Thursday and I am having my first baby.  I don't think it is a big deal.  My mom had my little sister at 43 and she turned out fine.  She is now 21 and when she was little she was super smart.  I think as long as you take proper care of yourself things will be fine.  I am now 22 wks and will be 23 wks on Tuesday.  We couldn't be happier to be bringing this little miracle into the world.
  • Options
    I'm so glad to have someplace to be able to talk to other moms over 35! Like I put in my original post I have a 2 year old as well, we also have an 18 year old and a 23 year old who is expecting her own baby in Sept! This dr is brand new out of school so has really no experience dealing with patients but it is certainly not something you say to a pregnant woman who already has all the stresses that we do! I carried our 2 year old just fine, the only problem I had was high blood pressure which I was not medicated for at the time, I am medicated now and it is very stable so I'm trying not to worry to much!
  • Options
    I'm 41 and having my first baby in two weeks; however, as you'll see from my signature, it's been a long, hard road to get here. I'm psyched for you that things are going well, but please be aware that a number of us on this board have had much harder journeys including, yes, miscarriages, and it can be hard sometimes to accidentally come across posts like yours. All best to you for the next 7 months.
    me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • Options
    I am glad I am not the only 41 year old first timer on here:-). 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

All miscarriages for all ages is supposedly 20% so 25% is that different.  I have heard 25 - 30% for miscarriage rates.  Since I've had one, all I can say is that once I told people I had one, all these people told me they did too!  

That being said, it's usually the first 8 weeks and then 12 weeks.  After that so much less.  

Hope you have a healthy and happy 9 months! 

• Options
    Yeah, most of us AMAers are ALL too aware of the risks without constantly being reminded.  Congrats to you on baby number 2!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am 41 and had my DD in February, and also have a two year old DS ~ you will be fine!!!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"