December 2010 Moms
Options

Teacher Poll

I am on the last leg of my summer - we start back on Thursday (kids next week). I am sooooooo going to miss being home with Miles! He will be at a sitter's house three days a week, and he will be home with his dad the other two days, which is good. 

When do you start back? What are your daycare options going to look like? And, are you looking forward to starting back or dreading it? (Bonus: What do you teach?)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Teacher Poll

• Options
    This is my first semester student teaching and I'm so excited. I start Monday but I have so much to do this week to get ready! J will be in DC all day everyday and I'll still be his DC teacher in the afternoon.  I'm sure going to miss him in the morning though 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • Options

imagejarebearsmom:
    This is my first semester student teaching and I'm so excited. I start Monday but I have so much to do this week to get ready! J will be in DC all day everyday and I'll still be his DC teacher in the afternoon.  I'm sure going to miss him in the morning though 

Good luck! What grade will you be student teaching? Will you be finished with your entire degree by the end of the year? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I also am really sad to be going back to work :( I'm going to miss our cuddle time every morning and after naps. Our daycare is the same as last year. It is at someone's home which she runs like a daycare. We are pretty happy with her. Noah actually has been going once a week all summer long just to keep him familiar with her (and give mommy a break!).

As for teaching, I have 3 classes of language and 1 class of social studies to 6th graders. I start this upcoming Monday, but kids don't come until that Thursday (23rd).

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I go back September 5th, I think?  I hate that the summer is winding down! I feel like I got a lot accomplished in early July....and then nothing else, haha! So the next two week are going to be a lot of work to get back into shape for the school year.  Honestly, since I am leaving on my maternity leave October 10th (I think...still have to go to my HR meeting about leave) I am not planning much.  With my 9th graders, I will probably only have time to do summer reading and one book, Night.  With my tenth graders, I am not even sure what book I am starting with, but I think I will also only get to do one, and then I'm done!

I will miss this time with Alexander, but since it's only for a month or so, I'm not too scared. I AM scared about going on maternity leave with Alexander there. What the heck are we going to do all day stuck inside???

And finally, I am scared to go back to work in April or whenever, because I won't know those kids at all, and it will be like the first day all over again. Bleh.Sad

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    imagejillybean800:

I go back September 5th, I think?  I hate that the summer is winding down! I feel like I got a lot accomplished in early July....and then nothing else, haha! So the next two week are going to be a lot of work to get back into shape for the school year.  Honestly, since I am leaving on my maternity leave October 10th (I think...still have to go to my HR meeting about leave) I am not planning much.  With my 9th graders, I will probably only have time to do summer reading and one book, Night.  With my tenth graders, I am not even sure what book I am starting with, but I think I will also only get to do one, and then I'm done!

I will miss this time with Alexander, but since it's only for a month or so, I'm not too scared. I AM scared about going on maternity leave with Alexander there. What the heck are we going to do all day stuck inside???

And finally, I am scared to go back to work in April or whenever, because I won't know those kids at all, and it will be like the first day all over again. Bleh.Sad

Wow! You are taking a super long maternity leave! Good for you! Luckily, your year will be pretty non-existent, so it's ok if you don't get to know the kids, really.

Will Alexander spend time outside of the house (like, at your parents' house, ILs, etc.?) to give you and baby some time to yourself (and A the extra attention)?  

• Options

I start back tomorrow!!  It's just the teachers until Monday, and then I have a class of 32 first graders.  Eek!  I'm kind of dreading it this year.  1 - class size is ridiculous  2 - I'm still puking on a regular basis

Nate started back to his daycare this Monday, so today is his second day.  Yesterday he didn't cry or anything and they said he had a great day.  Today I think he realized this is going to become a regular thing and he had an absolute meltdown when I dropped him off. :(   Thankfully, it's the same daycare, so he already knows all the kids and teachers.  They were super nice and held his spot and didn't make us pay another enrollment fee!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

I start back tomorrow!!  It's just the teachers until Monday, and then I have a class of 32 first graders.  Eek!  I'm kind of dreading it this year.  1 - class size is ridiculous  2 - I'm still puking on a regular basis

Nate started back to his daycare this Monday, so today is his second day.  Yesterday he didn't cry or anything and they said he had a great day.  Today I think he realized this is going to become a regular thing and he had an absolute meltdown when I dropped him off. :(   Thankfully, it's the same daycare, so he already knows all the kids and teachers.  They were super nice and held his spot and didn't make us pay another enrollment fee!

32 first graders is insane. I had 32 high school students last year in one class, and that was insane. First grade is a whole different ball game! Do you have a cap as to how many are allowed, contractually, in your room?

GOOD LUCK! 

• Options
    I go back on the 27th and the kids come back the 30th, but I'll be back in my classroom as of Thursday this week just getting set up.  We opened a brand new school this year and this is the first time I can get in so I have some work to do.  I teach 8th grade science.  I'm excited to go back, but I am a bit nervous about E.  We went over to visit the other day and he got all shy :( I know he'll be fine, I'm just not looking forward to the transition.
  • Options
    imageNicole0012:

imagejarebearsmom:

Good luck! What grade will you be student teaching? Will you be finished with your entire degree by the end of the year? 

I know it will be a middle grades class (here they consider that 4th-8th) and it will either be a math or English class.  I have to go turn in my background check and insurance information this week and set everything up to start.  I have 4 semesters left. The first 3 will be me taking classes and student teaching.  The last semester I will be in the classroom full time the whole semester with no classes.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • Options
    imagejillybean800:

I teach 10th grade and have done Night every year.  I have a really easy literature circle project if you want something where you don't have to do much!  I taught 9th grade once and have some stuff for that.  But I'm sure you have tons of stuff, too!

I think I go back the 5th as well.  Aiden is at an at home daycare that we used last year.  He too has been going once a week in the summer. 

I teach 10th grade English - honors and regular level.  I also teach a college level class on research skills.  

• Options
    imagestar1123:
    imagejillybean800:

I teach 10th grade and have done Night every year.  I have a really easy literature circle project if you want something where you don't have to do much!  I taught 9th grade once and have some stuff for that.  But I'm sure you have tons of stuff, too!

I think I go back the 5th as well.  Aiden is at an at home daycare that we used last year.  He too has been going once a week in the summer. 

I teach 10th grade English - honors and regular level.  I also teach a college level class on research skills.  

I've also taught Night a bunch of times, so I can pass some things along too!

I teach 9th (regular/honors), 10th (regular/honors), and journalism.  

• Options

I start back next week. I am so not ready. I teach 11th and 12th grade science. I have a new prep too this year, and I have done nothing for it. Ahhhh. DD will be home with DH full time. This will probably be the most stressful part because he is self employed and needs to work from home. He is totally in control of his hours though so he can work in the evening. Which means after I come home from work he will need to work all evening. We have had a sitter/nanny since I went back to work at four month pp. She though just found a job her field less than 2 weeks ago. It was full time and she took it. We always knew it was a possibility,and was best for her family. MIL is offering to take care of DD full time at no cost at her house, but DH and I are not comfortable with this at all. He feels she will not watch her because she tries to do 10,000 things at once. He has talked to her about this, and she is more than welcome to watch DD at our house but not hers. She has no baby proofing, nothing ( and never has with the 5 other grandchildren, but again not ok with us.)  DH has been traveling all summer so we have not been able to look at daycare ( he wants to go too) so we are going to give it a couple weeks then maybe look at daycares if needed or hope MIL is willing to make some changes.

• Options
    We start back august 27th. We aren't going with a daycare option this semester. I'm super excited to go back. I teach learning strategies for college students.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageNicole0012:
    imagestar1123:
    imagejillybean800:

I've also taught Night a bunch of times, so I can pass some things along too!

I teach 9th (regular/honors), 10th (regular/honors), and journalism.  

Oh, wow!!  What books do you teach?? My Ten Regular I always teach Julius Caesar and Night and then change each year either - Monster by Walter Dean Myers, A Separate Peace, Taming of the Shrew...some others, just can't think now!

Ten Honors - Julius Caesar, The Count of Monte Cristo, Animal Farm, Taming of the Shrew, Things Fall Apart, Night...I am sure I am missing something!  Oh, I've done Antigone, but it never really worked out well.  

I also do a young adult literature project that is really fun with my honors students.  They do literature circles on a YA book, and then a research paper on the validity of YAL.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"