Infertility Veterans

Job Change?

Has anyone changed their jobs since dealing with IF? 

In college I had a double major, one of which was education. Clearly after all of our hassles and not knowing if I'll ever have children I don't particularly want to be surrounded by other people's kids all day, so that's nix'd.

Since I've been living abroad I've done a lot of freelance work, but I keep feeling like I want to do something more and that's more meaningful. If/when we are able to move back to the US I think I'll go back to school, which gives me a lot of other things to work around... figuring out specifically what I want to do, not being sure if sinking money into school is a good idea or if that should go to IF, adoption, etc.

I keep thinking I'll do something with an NGO, empowering women in developing countries, or even infertility counseling.

Has anyone here changed their career path since dealing with IF? It's so life altering. The catch 22 is that if we do have a child from whatever means I want to stay home and cherish every last second with them. 

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010

Re: Job Change?

• I haven't, but I've begun to think more and more about it.  I work in commerical insurance, and while it pays well, and I have a pretty slack schedule, ect, I feel like I could be doing something more meaningful, that I would get more out of.

I've thought about going back to school to become a counselor, but right now I'm staying put until we get a resolution to our baby situation.  I'm aware it might take a couple years, but in the meantime I feel like i can only focus on one thing at a time.

TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageMandaS08:

I haven't, but I've begun to think more and more about it.  I work in commerical insurance, and while it pays well, and I have a pretty slack schedule, ect, I feel like I could be doing something more meaningful, that I would get more out of.

I've thought about going back to school to become a counselor, but right now I'm staying put until we get a resolution to our baby situation.  I'm aware it might take a couple years, but in the meantime I feel like i can only focus on one thing at a time.

The focusing on one thing at a time is exactly what is killing me. I feel like I'm still young enough that going back to school makes sense, but we still have this black cloud of IF hanging over us to make that seem not as easy. 

I'd love to have a more productive distraction so I don't feel like I've lost out on a career and being a mother. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageMandaS08:

...right now I'm staying put until we get a resolution to our baby situation. 

This.  I don't plan to make any large life changes until we know the outcome of third and final fresh cycle in the spring.  Every situation is different though.  Good luck with your decision! 

Keep us posted!  XO 

Countless BFN(s)
    Moving to IVF

IVF1 (ICSI): Long Lupron
    6R. 3F. 3DT. 8Cell 1Grade 2Embies. 1Frostie.
    Beta 1/22: 14 Beta 1/24: 24 Beta 1/26: 28
    Round One Result: Chemical Pregnancy

Pressing Forward

IVF2 (ICSI/AH/ACU): Microdose Lupron Flare
    13R. 11F. 5DT. 2TFR'ed. 1Frostie.
    Round Two Result 4/30: Harsh BFN

FET. 2TFR'ed.
    Round Three Result 6/25: BFN
    Where do we go from here?

Moving forward with CCRM in 2013
    ODWU revealed blocked tube(s). Lap 2/15.
    Bilateral Tubal Ligation. Stage IV Endo.
    Finally some (tough) answers.

IVF3 (ICSI/CCS): Antagonist with EPP
    13R. We have 3 CCS Normal Embryos!

Lupron Depot: May 2013 to August 2013
    Long awaited FET on 9/3. 2TFR'ed.
    BFP on FRER 5dp5dt: IN SHOCK!
    Beta1 9/10: 152.7! Beta2 9/12: 378! Beta3 9/14: 1224! 

1st ultrasound 10/1: TWO beautiful heartbeats!  Overjoyed!

• imageMitzi Bishi:
    imageMandaS08:

I haven't, but I've begun to think more and more about it.  I work in commerical insurance, and while it pays well, and I have a pretty slack schedule, ect, I feel like I could be doing something more meaningful, that I would get more out of.

The focusing on one thing at a time is exactly what is killing me. I feel like I'm still young enough that going back to school makes sense, but we still have this black cloud of IF hanging over us to make that seem not as easy. 

I'd love to have a more productive distraction so I don't feel like I've lost out on a career and being a mother. 

I feel that way too, and if it was free to go back to school and I could keep my job, I probably would.  But, since we have a mountain of IF debt, I don't want to add student loans into that!  I figure in a couple of years I will still have plenty of time to go back to school and work-so for now-staying put.  We did finally decide to put our house on the market-which we had been holding off on since we started TTC-so hopefully that will give me something else to put some energy in to!

TTC since 5/2010
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageMandaS08:
    imageMitzi Bishi:
    imageMandaS08:

I feel that way too, and if it was free to go back to school and I could keep my job, I probably would.  But, since we have a mountain of IF debt, I don't want to add student loans into that!  I figure in a couple of years I will still have plenty of time to go back to school and work-so for now-staying put.  We did finally decide to put our house on the market-which we had been holding off on since we started TTC-so hopefully that will give me something else to put some energy in to!

Are you staying in the area? We're also thinking about / planning on moving, so I probably should focus on getting rid of things, especially since it would be back to the US and moving internationally is a big enough pain as it is. 

I need some kind of change in my life!  

• We are staying in there area-moving to a slightly different part of town, but we really just want to change the actual neighborhood, and move from a townhouse to a single family home.

I totally feel you-after 2 years of feeling "stuck" I feel like I need something to change-even if its not the baby situation right now!

TTC since 5/2010
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"