Baby Names

Vivian/Vivienne spelling...

I'm really digging this name lately.

Do you pronounce the two names the same? Do you like either spelling better than the other? If you pronounce them differently, would you side-eye someone who named their baby Vivienne but pronounced it like Vivian?

Anniversary
Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!

Re: Vivian/Vivienne spelling...

• I pronounce them the same. I don't know why, but I cannot stand the "-enne" spelling. My LO's middle name is Vivian.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Vivienne just looks a little weird to me. I wouldn't necessarily side-eye it and would have no trouble pronouncing it... but it's just off. I always side with the more traditional.

Mama to Mason (7) and Asher the Crasher (3).
    Married to Topher (10 years). 32 years young in Oklahoma.

• Loading the player...
  • I love the Vivienne spelling, but I would tend to pronounce it viv-ee-EHN rather than like Vivian.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • I prefer Vivian or Vivianne. To me, for Vivian I would say Viv ee un and for Vivianne I would say Viv ee an. Pretty settle difference.

• To me: 

Vivian - VIVI-un

Vivienne -  vivi-EHN

I prefer Vivian.  Less frill and fuss about it. 

• They are pronounced differently. 

Vivian= VIV-ee-an

Vivienne= viv-ee-ENNE 

I would side-eye Vivienne pronounced like Vivian- the extra letters aren't just there for decoration.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Love Vivian! Love love love Vivi nn.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I pronounce both spellings the same and have no preference in spelling the name. For some reason, when I see the spelling Vivienne, I think classy elegance. With the spelling Vivian, I think more old lady. I love the name, though!
  • imagekacelle:
    I love the Vivienne spelling, but I would tend to pronounce it viv-ee-EHN rather than like Vivian.

Agree with this.  

• I pronounce them the same.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DD is Vivienne, I generally prefer French spellings/pronunciation.
  • imageICarriedAWatermelon:
    imagemagpie1127:

I'm really digging this name lately.

Do you pronounce the two names the same? Do you like either spelling better than the other? If you pronounce them differently, would you side-eye someone who named their baby Vivienne but pronounced it like Vivian?

They're two different names.

Vivian = VIV-ian

Vivienne = Vivi-ENN. 

I like the latter better.

They're not two different names.  They're variants with slightly different pronunciations. 

• I like Vivian much better, it's less stuffy IMO.
    Dx PCOS 09/12
    Married my best friend 10/12/12
    TTC 1 since 10/12
    NTNP Fall 2013 to focus on a healthier lifestyle
    Anniversary

• I've really been enchanted by Vivian lately, too. I pronounce both names the same, but I kind of eye-roll at Vivienne. It's just unnecessarily flouncy for no reason at all. And I'm 98% sure the only reason it's getting use at all is because Angelina Jolie used it.

I have a secret love for Vivien, but that's probably just my Gone with the Wind love manifesting itself.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Adore Vivienne. I wish I could use it for this little one but it has been vetoed repeatedly. 
  • Wow - it really seems like there's no consensus on this one! I like both names, but I feel like Vivienne (pronounced with the French intonation) would be unnecessary in the U.S., so if I ever used it, I'd be choosing between the two, pronouncing them about the same.
    Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • I pronounce them differently. Both equally pretty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagealliejo725:

I've really been enchanted by Vivian lately, too. I pronounce both names the same, but I kind of eye-roll at Vivienne. It's just unnecessarily flouncy for no reason at all. And I'm 98% sure the only reason it's getting use at all is because Angelina Jolie used it.

I have a secret love for Vivien, but that's probably just my Gone with the Wind love manifesting itself.

I think the reason I love Vivienne so much is because that's how I thought Vivien Leigh's name was spelled when I was much younger.  So I always pictured her when I thought of that spelling.  I guess I'm a terrible name nerd, because I didn't realize Angelina Jolie had a Vivienne! 

• I prefer the French spelling.

As far as originality of the spelling goes "Vivian" is the original form. However, it was used mainly for males! Saint Vivian is a French saint, male. Vivienne is not "unoriginal" as much as it is the feminine form of Vivian. So, technically Vivienne is the correct form (linguistically) for a female baby.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivienne

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Vivienne, I just like the way it looks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I prefer Vivienne [and I do pronounce is ever so slightly different than the -an ending.] I think it'll be on the list again when we have another LO in a few years.

To me Vivienne's pronunciation is a little less frilly. 

• imagestrawberrytree:

They are pronounced differently. 

Vivian= VIV-ee-an

Vivienne= viv-ee-ENNE 

I would side-eye Vivienne pronounced like Vivian- the extra letters aren't just there for decoration.  

this.. Vivienne makes me want to pronounce it with a french accent, which makes me dislike it more as it would seem pretentious to me coming from someone who is not french.  : 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"