Pregnant after 35

Who will get the amnio/CVS testing done?

Just curious how many of you decided not to do any of these procedure and why?  DH and I have not decided yet so I was just wondering what people's opinions are about it.

Thanks

Concerned about sacrificing your privacy when you are on social networking sites? Join me at Crazygood.com, where personal information is not for sale- it's ad-free, and you can earn extra money referring friends and family. http://www.crazygood.com/refer/cfd image

Re: Who will get the amnio/CVS testing done?

• DH & I are pretty adamant we want to know what's going on, so I'm having the amnio.  I'm doing that over CVS because there's less of a risk of m/c.
  • I was pretty adamant NOT to have the testing done. ;-) I know the m/c risks are small, but once you've known one or two people that fit into that statistic, it scares the bejesus out of you!

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• Loading the player...
  • i won't do cvs or amnio unless my first tri sceening (NT) comes back as risky.  I'm too worried about risk of m/c and limb malformation (from cvs, not amnio)
  • We won't be doing either. The risk of m/c is 1 in 200 but with twins 1 in 100..just not willing to risk m/c. We're doing the NT but I would be fine w/o it as well.
  • We had it done.  The NTS came back with really good numbers, but the 20wk u/s found a soft marker for Downs.  I just couldn't relax without the amnio.  We talked it over a lot, and the risk with an experienced doctor is actually more like 1:800 to 1:1600 of a m/c.

It wasn't that bad.  I held my breath so I didn't move my belly, and it was all over in about 20 seconds.  Test came back normal, and I feel so much better.

• We will not have it done(even though we'd really like to know if there is a problem) b/c we know 2 people who have M/C'ed after the procedure.  With my high rate of past M/C's were not willing to take the chance on losing this baby now.
  • I've had amnios with both pregnancies because I had to know.  It was nice knowing everything is ok, but I completely understand why others may opt out of having the procedures.

It is a personal decision that is not always easy to make.  I was dead set against it with the first pregnancy, but after talking to my friends and family who had had amnios I felt better and chose to have it.  It may have been different if I knew someone who had had complications.

Good luck! 

• I didn't have the CVS done.  I was offered an amnio after my numbers came back as 1/54 with Down's with DD.  I refused it because the results wouldn't have made a difference to us.  And after trying for 2 years, I didn't want to risk a m/c.

Good luck!

Diagnosed with PCOS June 2004 Abby born 2/2007 and Ally 3/2009 imagehttp://Life In Sublurbia.blogspot.com
  • We didn't do either. At our big u/s, we did see one marker for Downs, but it was only that ONE marker. Everything else came back fine, even my blood tests.  if there had been more, if there were other signs, etc - we may have opted for additional testing, but based on what we knew - we decided not to.

I went through 5 years of IF and 5 IVF's and 4 FETS'.  I had been through WAY too much to take ANY risk on losing this baby. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I'm 90% sure I'll have another amnio, since my last pregnancy was a Down Syndrome case.
  • I got the amnio done becuase it is the most accurate........
    Live,Laugh and love image"image"image"imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I refused any extra testing other than US...
    image Alcoholism is not determined by how much you drink or how often, but by negative consequences in your life that do not alter your drinking habits.
  • I didn't have either done for my first pregnancy, and I'm not likely to this time around, unless something in the blood test indicates that we are high risk (e.g. if the risk is greater than the 1 in 200 of m/c with amnio). My OB doesn't do a lot amnio's because of the risk of m/c.
  • I'm not taking the chance either. I am considered high risk myself so I just can't take that chance.

• We did not do an amnio because the results of our integrated screening were good and we had no soft markers for chromosomal abnormalities on our fetal survey ultrasound.  If that hadn't been the case, we would've probably had the amnio because I wouldn't want to worry all the time.  If you go to an OB who does a lot of amnios, then the risk of miscarriage is much less then if you go to someone who does them infrequently.  A lot of it has to do with experience and skill.  The CVS testing is too scary for me.  It is riskier than an amnio and plus it has to be done during 1st trimester, so the results of our integrated screen would not have even been back yet.
  • We did the CVS test because we wanted to know early if the pregnancy was without complications. 
  • I didn't have either test because the doctor didn't feel that I needed to.  It will depend on what happens the second time around...
  • I didn't do it for 2 reasons.  #1 I had severe hyperemesis gravidarum and I was not willing to risk going through all that and have a mc.  #2 I'm Rh- and I did not want to get the rhogam shot. 
  • I'm also Rh- (O neg) and would rather not get the Rhogam shot. My husband is AB+ so who knows?I may have to.

Of course I haven't even had my first prenatal visit, but I'm pretty certain that even though I'm 38 I'm not getting a CVS testing due to the high risk of miscarriage. I haven't ruled out an amnio yet because I wouldn't want a baby with Downs, Trisomy or other issues.

I guess I'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I had an amino with my DD.  And will again if PG.  I was very nervous about pain etc.  But it wasn't even painful...more like a tiny prick.  I had a great Dr.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"