2nd Trimester
Options

Bio Oil VS Palmers Cocoa Butter

I'm trying to decide which one to get or both. I didn't get stretch marks with my first and used cocoa butter. But I've heard Bio oil might be better.

Thoughts?[Poll]

Re: Bio Oil VS Palmers Cocoa Butter

• Options

It's genetics.. lotions or oils really don't help that much.

That being said I'm using bio oil for comfort reasons (itchy) and to just help my skin be healthy and ready to stretch!

• Options
    imageLLK122207:

That being said I'm using bio oil for comfort reasons (itchy) and to just help my skin be healthy and ready to stretch!

Thanks! That is sort of what I was looking for. I know its mostly genetics. I'm trying to drink lots of water, be healthy, and use something that will 'help'.

I've heard Bio oil is better for after you have the baby and cocoa butter for before. But I wanted to hear what others thought.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am using plain vitamin E oil and it has been great so far. Vitamin E oil is great for your skin, more natural, and helps with scarring. SO cheap by comparison to bio oil and palmers products. I thought that if I DID get stretch marks the vitamin E oil was already being used to that it would help them fade sooner, hopefully!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I voted for bio oil because the smell of coco butter gags me and left a yucky film on the areas I used it. Honestly though if you are using it just because you don't want stretch marks then don't waste your money nothing out there will keep you from getting them. I liked it because it helped my itching and kept my tummy from getting dry. I look like I was attacked by a group of tigers with all the stretch marks I have.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Bio Oil is really fantastic when used on scars. I had a very prominent surgery scar I used it on, and its faded dramatically, so I'm using it on my tummy too. I also use Palmer's. I'm really hoping something works. Because my stomach is shockingly striped already, and I hate it.
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Not sure if you look into the toxicity ratings of your lotions/sunscreens but bio oil is 7.5 out of 10 on the toxicity rating.  Definitely not something I want to rub all over my largest organ.

https://blog.healthy.co.nz/why-i-dont-stock-bio-oil/

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • Options
    Might want to look into Earth Mamma Angel Baby, they have a great stretch oil I've been using, all organic and it soothes itchy skin, and smells wonderful. I know everyone says that stretch marks are hereditary, and they probably are, but if it makes you feel better to use a lotion, then go for one! Just use something safe and natural!
  • Options
    I prefer Bio Oil but I just use it to moisturize. Fact is, if you're going to get stretch marks, you're going to get them - definitely no magic treatment. I like Bio Oil more than other lotions because it soaks in really quickly and (surprisingly) doesn't feel as greasy to me as other lotions can. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I'm also planning (and have started) using vitamin e oil.  I've read so many things that say cocoa butter does nothing.  It may be useless anyway - but for a few bucks I figure it's worth a try.

That being said  I am a little nervous about toxicity.   I know that you are not supposed to take topical vitamin A (although there is no proof that that is an issue).  Not sure if that applies to vitamin e too. 

• Options

Over 50% of my body is covered in major scarring from 2nd and 3rd degree burns, and also worked on a burn unit so I can relay the information every plastic surgeon I have ever met has told me. You can go out and spend large amounts of money on a product, but what really is making the difference is adding the moisture to your skin, and the massage that goes with it. I've had surgeons recommend olive oil. 

Adding any moisturizer to your skin and working it in helps increase the elasticity, and even if you do get stretch marks, the process of massaging them helps push blood flow away from them and decreases the amount of scar tissue that will be built up, as well as helps them fade quicker. :)

• Options
    imageLLK122207:

Agreed!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemylittlemegan:
    Might want to look into Earth Mamma Angel Baby, they have a great stretch oil I've been using, all organic and it soothes itchy skin, and smells wonderful. I know everyone says that stretch marks are hereditary, and they probably are, but if it makes you feel better to use a lotion, then go for one! Just use something safe and natural!

I do like Earth Mamma products (off the subject, but they have a great morning sickness tea that I recommend too.) I also use Cocoa Butter, but like everyone pretty much has said, it's mainly genetic. I use it to soothe the itch and moisturize. 

Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • Options
    I mix coconut oil with vitamin e oil and so far no stretch marks...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"