Birth Stories
Options

Long Labor, Fast Birth

Thought I would share the story of my son's birth over 7 months ago. I know I loved reading these when I was pregnant. :) 

At a week and a half past due, I started having a little back pain one afternoon that I couldn't relieve. I was at my mom's house and she instantly said I was in labor. My induction was scheduled in two days, I had started dialating and lost my mucus plug weeks ago, the baby had dropped in my pelvis before I was even full term and none of this brought the baby. I was like noooo, a little back pain means nothing. Then the contractions came at about 3pm. Still, I had bad BH contractions throughout the last two trimesters of my pregnancy, so I still didn't think anything. My mom kept persisting that I go to the hospital, so I called my husband and he got off work a little early so he could take me down there. We got there at about 7pm (I dragged my feet, still not believing it) and they confirmed that I was indeed in labor, but I was not dialating. They told me that since I was aiming for a natural child birth due to the Heparin shots, that i should go home and labor as long as possible there.

After the hospital my parents, husband and I stopped for some Waffle House where the labor pains got significantly worse. I suddenly had no appetite, and only ate my toast and half my ham. It was about 10pm at this point. My husband and I left and went home so I could be more comfortable. After spending time in the tub and on the birthing ball I had had enough and headed for the hospital at 3am. Suddenly, as we pulled into the hospital parking lot my labor pains eased considerably (although my back continued to hurt throughout the entire labor). My husband and I walked around the hospital grounds until they came back strong again. At 5am we were readmitted to the hospital.

Unfortunately the hospital told me bad news- I was still not dialating. I agreed to try a small amount of Pitocin, but this meant that I would no longer be mobile- a real unfortunate situation for natural birth mommies. After the Pitocin, labor got really intense- vomiting, water breaking everywhere, the whole nine yards! After 7 hours of Pitocin and progress of only one centimeter, I begged the hospital to allow me to have an epidural. THey decided it had been long enough since my last Heparin shot and gave me one at 1pm that afternoon. In a matter of an hour after recieving the epidural, I dialated to 8cm!

At 5pm the nurse checked me and told me it was time to have a baby! My husband got to see his head coming and told me he had a head full of dark hair! However, my doctor was at another hospital doing another delievery, so we had to wait another two hours! When my doctor arrived, everything went really fast! In fact, she quit having me wait for contractions to push. I didn't think anything of it at the time. In three pushes and at 7:29pm, I had delievered my beautiful baby boy! As soon as they had him and I all cleaned up (I required no stitches, yay!), the staff informed us that we were in the middle of a tornado and that we would have to be evacuated out of our room! They wheeled me and my baby to another room, a surgery recovery room, in the middle of the building. Talk about being born into chaos! It was unfortunate because I didn't get my golden hour I had been looking forward to, but I was so in love that it didn't even matter. All that mattered was that he was here, safe and sound, in my arms. After two years of trying heartbreak, what more could I ask for?

married 09.06.08
BFP #1 - m/c on 12.22.09 @ 8w3d
BFP #2 - d&c on 07.22.10 @11w1d
BFP #3 - DS born on 06.22.11 @41w3d!
BFP #4 - Due 04.24.13

Re: Long Labor, Fast Birth

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"