C-sections
Options

Anyone had a CS keloid scar fixed?

I had a c-section almost 16 months ago.  The middle two inches of my scar are still red and raised and really bother me, very irritated.  Especially if I let the hair grow past a millimeter, but shaving around it is tough.  I went back to the ob for my annual and he said I had a keloid scar and that was as good as it was going to get.  He said they could fix it if I had another c-section or do it in their office and stitch the skin back together.  My abs and all the underlayers don't bother me at all, it's just the skin.  Has anyone had this fixed during a RCS or when not pregnant?  I can't wait to have it fixed but we are thinking about TTC again in a couple months and don't know what kind of birth I will have (I'm guessing a RCS since my son was stuck and never dropped after 40 hours of labor, probably due to a small pelvis).
Lilypie - (7gcp)

Lilypie - (S3If)

Re: Anyone had a CS keloid scar fixed?

• Options
    Yes!  I just had mine fixed and it looks amazing.  I had a terrible scar from my first c-section and having the scar fixed was one nice thing about having another c-section.  I talked with my OB beforehand and she used a technique they use in plastic surgery to close the incision.  She put in a permanent stitch that was removed on post op day 3 (the day I left the hospital).  All of my post partum nurses were confused as to why I had a big black stitch in for 3 days but it honestly looks amazing so I'm really thankful she did it that way. Talk to your doctor - it sounds like I got lucky (my brother is an OB and he said they rarely close that way since it takes so long in the OR) but you never know what tricks your doctor may have up her sleeve.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I "HAD" a keloid scar with my first 2 c-sections. I keloided after my 1st and when I went in for my 2nd, my OB cut it out and fixed it but I keloided AGAIN. With my 3rd, she fixed it and it didn't keloid. I have no idea what will happen with c-section #4. I may keloid again.

There's no guarantee that if they do "fix" it you won't keloid again. I wouldn't fix it unless it was a RCS.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine did the same thing. I have had about 4 rounds of steroid injections into it to help break it up before I got pregnant again and they helped a little.  I asked about fixing it if I have to RCS this baby and my doc said it may come right back?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We are one and done, DS being almost 4. I had a terrible keloid after my c. My entire scar was very red, very raised and very tender, My OB told me she'd cut it out and give me steroid shots next time to try to prevent it. When I told her we weren't having another, she said, "oh well, I guess you'll have to live with it or it's cosmetic surgery." Not really what I wanted to hear, but....

I used Mederma on it for about a year.  I dont know if that mattered or not. It began softening by the time DS was 2 and now is flat, silvery and barely noticeable. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"