Philadelphia Babies

Great Valley OBGYN

Can anyone who's used Great Valley OBGYN share what to expect at my first visit? (this is my first pregnancy). I have my first appt scheduled mid-Aug. Should I plan on seeing the heartbeat? U/S? If not, can you tell me when they usually schedule for that? Similar to others, I'm anxious to hear the HB, to comfirm this is real! TIA!

imageBabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Great Valley OBGYN

• At my first appointment, they measured the size of the baby and told me I was 7 weeks.  They did an ultrasound, and printed it out for us to take home.  I heard a heartbeat, too.  The next appt was scheduled for 12 weeks, and that was another ultrasound and also blood work.  You should expect to hear a heartbeat every appt!
  • imagepamalove4l:
    At my first appointment, they measured the size of the baby and told me I was 7 weeks.  They did an ultrasound, and printed it out for us to take home.  I heard a heartbeat, too.  The next appt was scheduled for 12 weeks, and that was another ultrasound and also blood work.  You should expect to hear a heartbeat every appt!

Thanks so much! I'm so happy to hear that they will be checking for a baby and heartbeat!

• Loading the player...
  • imagepamalove4l:
    At my first appointment, they measured the size of the baby and told me I was 7 weeks.  They did an ultrasound, and printed it out for us to take home.  I heard a heartbeat, too.  The next appt was scheduled for 12 weeks, and that was another ultrasound and also blood work.  You should expect to hear a heartbeat every appt!

This is totally different from my first pre-natal appt, though maybe it's because I had a previous m/c and they sent me for bloodwork and an ultrasound before my 8-week appt to confirm it was a viable pregnancy.  When I had mine, they did an internal, a pap smear, a full health history and sent me for more bloodwork and a urine sample.  I was told the only routine ultrasound would be done at 20 weeks (anatomy scan).  In fact, I didn't think they had an ultrasound machine in the office.  We weren't able to hear the heartbeat until our 12 week appt with a fetal doppler (they wouldn't try at the 8-week appt b/c they said it would be too early) - and even when they had trouble finding a HB at 12 weeks(my bladder was so full that it moved my uterus up higher) - the doctor was ready to send us to the ER at Paoli to get an ultrasound...never mentioning that they could do one in the office. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks tracyd21. A nurse actually called me this morning for an "interview". At the end, I asked if I would be getting an ultrasound and/or be able to hear the heartbeat at my 8 week appt. She said not until 12 weeks. I expressed my disappointment and then she went on to say that they usually give orders to go get a viability ultrasound done at a different facility. I asked if I could request this if for some reason they weren't planning on having me get one and she didn't think it would be a problem. It is my first pregnancy, and I'm waiting to get excited and even tell close family/friends until I can confirm that their is an actual baby in there, so of course I'm anxious!
  • I used to go to GV OB and they didn't even have an u/s machine in the office.  My first appointment for my first pregnancy was at 8 weeks, and it was just a urine test, pap smear, and some paperwork.  I was having some pain in my side, so they gave me a script to get an u/s at the hospital.

After meeting all the docs there, I wasn't crazy about any of them, so I switched to Dr. Gilbert at Paoli OB.  So much better!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was able to request a viability ultrasound at my 8 week appointment with Great Valley OBGYN but if I hadn't the first one would've been at my sequential screen at 12 weeks.  Too long to wait for me! 

• Thank you Caleej! That's what I am *really* *really* *really* hoping to do! Do we go to Paoli hospital for ultrasound? How quickly will I be able to get an appt for an ultrasound? Sooooo anxious here!
  • They did my first ultrasound at one of the satellite locations.  i had mine done in newtown square but they have locations all over.  the 20 week ultrasound is done at the hospital.  fyi...i actually switched doctors after my 8 week appt to dr. marlino at paoli hospital.  love her!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"