Military Families

Military Housing....

Hello ladies- hope everyone is doing well!

I know this varies by base... but I thought I would throw this question out there for those of you who decided to move on base. What's the housing like? We own a townhouse but will likely sell it if DH does go into the military. I was just wondering, in your experience, if the houses tend to be worn down, etc..... Of course when I have looked for pics of military housing I seem to get opposite ends of the spectrum-- completely gross houses and pristine model homes. I know sometimes people treat homes differently when they are renting, so I was wondering if this translated into these homes. Please include what branch of the military... and if you feel comfortable any pics you have! TIA!

Re: Military Housing....

• imagemama&baby:

Hello ladies- hope everyone is doing well!

I know this varies by base... but I thought I would throw this question out there for those of you who decided to move on base. What's the housing like? We own a townhouse but will likely sell it if DH does go into the military. I was just wondering, in your experience, if the houses tend to be worn down, etc..... Of course when I have looked for pics of military housing I seem to get opposite ends of the spectrum-- completely gross houses and pristine model homes. I know sometimes people treat homes differently when they are renting, so I was wondering if this translated into these homes. Please include what branch of the military... and if you feel comfortable any pics you have! TIA!

You completely nailed it with your second sentence. It varies by base. 

Where I am now (Army) the homes on base range from historical to new homes. Because there are other branches around us (navy, marine, coast guard, and air force) we are given the option to live on the other bases if available. 

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• It varies WIDELY by post/base, rank, number of dependents, and whether or not it's privatized. Here on Ft. Carson, if you are of high rank or have more than one child, you get the better/newer housing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you on facebook?  If so, check out: Moving House for the Military Spouse.  There are pictures of many, many, many different base housing for all branches.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • It is such a crap shoot with all the different bases. There are brand new beautiful officer houses here at our base in NC. The ones in Pensacola were crap. The Officer/enlisted housing at Lakenheath in England was brand new and we got one of those and it was one my favorite houses we've lived in.

Again, it all depends on rank, dependents ect....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for your input ladies! I am trying to get info, etc together for us to make our decision... but wanted a more real life view of things as opposed to a "we will tell you this to encourage you to enlist" kind of deal
  • It defiantly varies base to base and what rank you or your husband is.

I lived in Arizona at Fort Huachuca and almost all the houses were nice.

Here at Fort Carson Colorado not so nice for the lower ranks. Its not gross just nothing great, but then again I guess I got spoiled with the nice place in Arizona

If you dont like the on post housing you can always choose to live off post.

My husband is Army 

I prefer to live on post because my husband comes home after P.T and at lunch and it saves alot of money on gas that way.  

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're Army also but live in Fort Hood Texas.. we live in a 3BR townhome and it's me, the hubby and a 1year old. It works for us but if we had another child, it would probably be small. There are some nicer houses on post though.

Also, you can always rent off post if you decide you don't want to live on post. There are some nice houses in neighborhoods around Ft. Hood that will cost roughly the same per month as what we pay.

• imagemocknine:
    Are you on facebook?  If so, check out: Moving House for the Military Spouse.  There are pictures of many, many, many different base housing for all branches.  

This she post the good bad and ugly. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH is Army, and it does vary by base.  We tend to live off base because it is a personal preference.  Ft. Riley had some nice housing and here in Germany housing often tends to be in the German towns.  If you choose to live off base, you will receive an allowance to help pay for rent and utilities.  

I second Moving House for the Military Spouse.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • also you cant always depend in living in base housing. some bases have a year wait or so. it just depends on the base. if the base housing site is showing really nice and really not nice housing it is most likely the really nice houses are for e7 and above or even o4 and above. we lived in housing in e7-o3 housing. it was a brand new duplex with hardwood floors. that was pretty much the nicest housing i have ever seen for people below o4. it was ok. there are a lot of things about housing that are great a lot that arent great. if you like being surrounded by the people you work with military housing would be good for you. we like to have a little separation between the people we work with and the people we live next to. good luck

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Like others said it varies from base to base. When we were in Germany, the housing was apartment style/1 level floors that were older.  We're in Ft Meade and we have a  story duplex that was just renovated and really nice.  I love the link Moving House for the Military Spouse.  It gives you a nice idea of what housing can look like.  We wanted to live on post as we couldn't find what we were looking for off post in our budget.  We also wanted to be near other military families to get to know people. 

• I really agree with everything PP said. Base, rank, and dependants all go into it. We don't live on base but that may change depending on where we go.

BFP 4/4/12 CP 4/10/12

9/20/2013 Came home with our little miracle from the Philippines

11/26/2013 Surprise!!! BFP!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My DH is Navy and enlisted so any of the on base housing options are usually crummy or just bad service for maintenance and such. When we PCS, we use ahrn.com and find private housing off base within our BAH limit. Plus, most on base housing takes all your BAH and we like to save some of that money by living in a nicer place off base. In San Diego here we get around 2000 in BAH and live in a duplex for 1300 so we get to keep that extra (especially for baby stuff!)
  • imagemocknine:
    Are you on facebook?  If so, check out: Moving House for the Military Spouse.  There are pictures of many, many, many different base housing for all branches.  

This! This was a huge help for me when we were on the waiting list for housing. We have always lived on base (DH is Marines) and I wouldn't want it any other way. We've always had great housing and great neighborhoods. The houses where were are (Camp Lejeune) have been recently renovated and are very nice. Especially, now with having kids I love being on base because it's close to all of our activities and DH doesn't have to sit through traffic after work getting off base. It's a win-win for us. Also, with DH being gone a lot I always feel much safer on base.  

• I agree it varies by base! However we are Army and have been at Ft Bragg for the past 3  years. We started out on post in terrible housing then moved off post after 6 months. BUT they have recently redone all the housing and it is beautiful! If we moved again I would prefer to be on post but with our breed of dogs we can't. We built and bought our house here because we don't forsee a move in the near future, but I liked the communities on post, I made some really great friends living there! Good luck!
  • We have only lived on base once and that was because before I met and married DH, it was only himself and SD, with SS every summer.  He did not want to spend the crazy cakes money on a 3 bedroom in the best school district in the area when the base housing was within that district. 

This was in his 28 year career.  Even when he/we lived in Germany, we lived off base.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • It varies a lot.

We personally have never lived on base (DH has been in a little over 10 years).  We have always owned a home or rented a home.  For where we have lived, we have always just preferred our off-base options to the on-base options.

That being said, we are moving this December and are going to live on base.  We will only be at this base for 1 year and the base housing for my husband's rank is brand new, big, and (most importantly) available.

If you go on Facebook, you can "like" the page "Moving House for the Military Spouse" and see pictures of housing from nearly every major military installation (for all branches).  From that you will see that there is literally no way to answer your question.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• I know this is unsolicited advice, but do not enlist with base housing as a major factor in your decision.  Base housing is what it is.  It is pretty much a neutral factor in military life from my experience. 

The base pay, benefits (medical, dental), the transient life, the retirement, the deployments - yea.  The fact that you can live on base - no.  I actually think it is pretty funny that a recruiter would take that angle.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagesweetpea2003:

I know this is unsolicited advice, but do not enlist with base housing as a major factor in your decision.  Base housing is what it is.  It is pretty much a neutral factor in military life from my experience. 

The base pay, benefits (medical, dental), the transient life, the retirement, the deployments - yea.  The fact that you can live on base - no.  I actually think it is pretty funny that a recruiter would take that angle.

I agree with this 100%.  

• Most base housing is usually not great, but you always have the option of living off base. If you are seeing pristine housing, its probably a commanders house. Everything I have lived in has been a bit run down, or very cheaply built, and I am at a base that supposedly has some of the best housing in the military. It works, and its paid for so I guess that's all that matters. 
  • depending on were you go most houses are nice some are older my husband is AF and were he lived before we got married was nice he lived in one of the older housing area but they were rebuilding everything and they are really nice and clean the rent goes by BAH. good luck !! =))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"