Special Needs

School And Outside Therapy

I have yet to call DS's insurance to ask about his outside therapies and other such questions on how much they will cover.

DS attends a special needs preschool and has an IEP.

Does anyone do both special needs schooling and outside therapies all the time? 

Is outside therapies only a summer time thing while LO is in school?

What do you do and what has worked best for your child?

I am weighing it all.

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: School And Outside Therapy

• To add DS has speech, behavioral and OT and is going to be evaluated for autism. I don't know if this would matter how you respond.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LA will attend sn preschool this year and we plan to continue outside therapy (music, speech, hippo).  With the exception of speech, the others are not replicated in school. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We do private therapy year-round, but try not to duplicate that DD1 (ASD) is receiving in preschool. We have an SLP who does Floortime with us, meet every other week with our RDI consultant. We throw in additional therapy hours as time and money permit; like, for the last five months or so have been working with a child psych who is getting her Floortime certification. 

DD1 was in a classroom last year that was a mix of typical and SN kids, but with a higher level of services/support than a regular classroom. This fall she starts in a regular mainstream preschool class.

Our insurance covers nothing, so we have to stretch our dollars as far as they'll go. I've tried to concentrate on therapies that I can work on with DD1 myself, as opposed to needing a therapist there to do the work.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • We don't do school yet, but DD gets feeding therapy through our children's hospital (from a SLP) and through our Area Education Agency (an OT).  One is more 'medical', the other is done in our home, so more 'realistic' (not sure if those are even the right terms, but I am brain farting right now).  So, I think sometimes both is beneficial.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We should be transitioning to an IEP this fall. I do plan on keeping up with private therapy if it works out with his schedule.
  • d.fd.f member
    DS was recently Dx with PDD-NOS. He has an IEP during the school year recieves 30 minutes a week from each provider, an OT, SLP, and SpEd teacher. He doesn't qualify for ESY.

We just started private OT 1x a week and we're on a waitlist for private Speech. I'm lucky in that our insurance will cover 30 visits a calendar year with each. I'm also on the look out for a social skills group (that insurance will not cover).

I'm waiting for the full report from the Psychologist to see if he any thing else is recommended. If it is we'll have to evaluate need and finances.

DS 09/2008

• image-auntie-:

We did a mix of services. DS has an AS/ADHD/dyslexia dx. Some of his academic services were school based, but we opted out of the district for a world class private school for 2 1/2 years. We did speech through the district because the elementary and middle school SLPs understood AS better than any private clinician, plus they could deliver services where the skills being taught were actually needed. We used school psychs for mandated evals only; we have a terrific psychologist for whom we pay out-of-pocket. I wasn't comfortable with a school "psychologist" for CBT or CSIT.

I can't believe all these kids "Not Qualifying" for ESY. Any kid whose pulled out for three different kinds of therapy must have significant enough delays to qualify. DS qualified through 6th grade. ESY can be used against regression or to gain ground where educational delays exist.

Just wanted to let you know that ESY can NOT be used to gain ground. ESY is for regression or recoupment only. So it is very possible that all these kids do not qualify. You don't automatically qualify because you have significant delays.... 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • d.fd.f member
    image-auntie-:

I can't believe all these kids "Not Qualifying" for ESY. Any kid whose pulled out for three different kinds of therapy must have significant enough delays to qualify. DS qualified through 6th grade. ESY can be used against regression or to gain ground where educational delays exist.

DS actually made progress at least in speech over the Winter break.  That was their determining factor.  I get the impression from my district that at least at the preschool level very few qualify for ESY.  He really has made amazing progress in less then a year in pretty much all areas.  Still maybe I need to bring it up again at his next IEP meeting.  Although, I wonder if it would benefit him as much without typical peers modeling appropriate social behavior and self regulation (where he seems to struggle the most).

I've tried to bridge the gap this summer by keeping him engaged.  He took several classes early in the summer at our rec center and next week will be the last week of a Summer Camp at the rec center ( 4 days a week, 3 hour days for 4 weeks).  Still I know I haven't kept up the more academic things like drawing, name and letter recognition etc. 

DS 09/2008

• My oldest has ADHD, ODD, and both speech and learning delays.  We take all the therapy the school will provide plus we do speech, OT, PT and behavioral outside of school.  We started with just the school for speech but after seeing very little progress in a year we started seeking more help.  He has blossomed since we started doing outside therapy last year.  The schools tend to focus only on the academic side of therapy whereas outside therapists look at the whole picture.  In fact, our first OT said she would leave the academic side to the school (such as holding a pencil correctly) and focus on the life skills and trunk strengthening so that he would be more well rounded and not have so much focus on one area or the other.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• We do hippotherapy and are working on PROMPT (speech) for the fall outside of school.  My only hesitation is that she already gets 7 therapy sessions a week at school and while she needs it all, she is tired!  The hippo is on Saturdays so that helps.  We are going to try PROMPT at 5 pm (she gets home from SN preschool at 3 pm and naps until 4:30) and see how it goes. 
  • We do outside speech therapy and keep it year round.  They don't offer him near as much as he needs so the private speech gives him an extra 2 hours a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"