Pregnant after 35

Pregnant - Plus-size & 39

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for a year. Finally, with the help of an IUI, we just found out we are pregnant. I am 4 weeks along and worried because I'm 5'10, 39 years old and fluffy. I attend Weight Watchers but they told me on Sat. I can no longer be an active member because they don't promote losing weight while pregnant.  *sigh*.  Now I'm feeling bloated and worried that I wont be able to find cute clothes for tall, plus-size women.  Anyone else out there run into this problem?   

Re: Pregnant - Plus-size & 39

• First, WW is right in that you shouldn't TRY and lose weight while pregnant.  However, many women, myself included, do lose weight.  With my first I lost around 15 pounds in my first and second trimesters and with this pregnancy I've lost 20 pounds thus far.  So, you may not actually gain weight, or may not gain a lot.  The bloat will go away in a little bit and before you know it you'll be sporting a wonderful baby bump.

As for finding clothes, I have bought most of mine at Motherhood, they have a plus size section in their stores and a web site.  Also, JcPenney sells plus size maternity clothes.  You'll still be able to find some cute stuff, it's just a little harder.

Congratulations! 

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Congratulations!!!!

You should eat at least 3000 per day while pg. How "fluffy" are you? Size 16,20,24...???? I was a size 20 with my son and found plenty of cute clothes. Try oldnavy.com They have a pretty good selection of plus sized maternity. (but do it soon, they are trying to get rid of it)

I also googled a lot and found several sites to buy from. I loved the full panel jeans. I hated the low waisted ones.

• Loading the player...
  • congrats!!  We are expecting after IUI/clomid ourselves :)

I'm 5'8" and was getitng into size 16 right before my BFP, thanks to fertility meds and PCOS... so i ended up wearing maternity almost right away (b/c of bloat and twins, and being my 2nd pg i poppped fast).

for me the hardest part with my first pg was finding shirts that were long enough, but this year there seems to be a lot more that are long b/c it's the style now even in non-mat clothes.

you may have to do more shopping online- since even the XL in the stores are often not big enough for me... esp in the boob area (and i'm by no means huge - i'm a C)....

also- sometimes i find things in the plus sized regular section for lounge wear that is better than most maternity stuff... esp these days with the style being empire waist - it's much easier this pg for me to find cute things.

As for losing/gaining - try not to stress. Eat healthy -and eat enough so you are never really hungry - and you'll be fine. The baby will take more calories so some women don't gain for a while... but you do not want to diet by any means... just be healthy.  Walking is great, too- and will help you feel better as well.

good luck!

• imageDebbieMc:

Congratulations!!!!

You should eat at least 3000 per day while pg. How "fluffy" are you? Size 16,20,24...???? I was a size 20 with my son and found plenty of cute clothes. Try oldnavy.com They have a pretty good selection of plus sized maternity. (but do it soon, they are trying to get rid of it)

I also googled a lot and found several sites to buy from. I loved the full panel jeans. I hated the low waisted ones.

3000 calories a day?  I don't think that's right.  You only need 100  more calories in the first tri and 300 more calories the rest of your pregnancy.  Typical woman needs 2000 calories to maintain their weight, give or take. 

For the original poster, i do know some women who have used WW as a guideline to help them with nutrition during their pregnancy.  If you take the points you would need to maintain your weight and add in enough to cover the calories you'd need per above you'd be in pretty good shape.  GL!

• I got a few things in XXL from gap maternity near the end of my pregnancy. I am petite so the length was way too long. I believe my SIL got some things from Lane Bryant.

?Congratulations on your pregnancy. Try not to worry about your weight. I had wicked morning sickness and then gestational diabetes so I only gained 15 lbs. ??

• I am 5'10", plus sized, and 37.  I am not far enough along to need maternity clothes yet, but Lane Bryant has some maternity stuff on their website, and a few of the pants come in talls.

I think Old Navy carries some of their maternity pants in long, but I'm not sure how large they go.

You may be able to put off the maternity clothes by buying regular clothes a size or two larger and possibly using a bella band-type assist.

GL and congrats!!

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • imageshwayd:
    imageDebbieMc:

Congratulations!!!!

3000 calories a day?  I don't think that's right.  You only need 100  more calories in the first tri and 300 more calories the rest of your pregnancy.  Typical woman needs 2000 calories to maintain their weight, give or take. 

For the original poster, i do know some women who have used WW as a guideline to help them with nutrition during their pregnancy.  If you take the points you would need to maintain your weight and add in enough to cover the calories you'd need per above you'd be in pretty good shape.  GL!

I asked my doctor about WW last week and he said because it's balanced and it would be fine, but to include the extra calories needed. 

Me:40 DH: 43 m/c #1 4/8/08 @ 5w::natural
    m/c #2 missed m/c discovered 12/11/08 @ 8w3d :: d&c 12/15/08
    Feb 2009-began seeing an RE:: DX with unexplained IF
    Sept 2009 -2010 TTC using femara ...eventually work called me out of town.
    June 2011 DX with thyroid cancer-forced to put baby making on hold
    11/15/12 IUI #1 BFN and 12/15/12 IUI #2 BFN
    Feb 2013 IVF-BFN:: April 2013 FET-Cancelled:: July 2013 FET-1 frostie
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  imageimage  
    image image
  • Congratulations on your BFP!   It is true that WW will not allow you to continue meetings during your pregnancy.  Consider that a blessing as it it one less worry among the many concerns you will have while pregnant.  I know how uneasy you are right now about the potential weight gain that pregnancy might bring.  I would take the next nine months and worry about giving the baby what in needs and not fret too much about personal weight gain.  The post partum period brings on rapid weoght loss.  You will be amazed at how fast it can come off.  My suggestion is to stop counting calories or points and just enjoy your pregnancy.  Eat when you feel hungry.  You are eating to give baby what it needs.  Once baby is out, then go back to WW.  That combined with BF or post partum  will bring on a lot of weight loss.  Congrats again.  Enjoy the next nine months.  They go by sooooo very fast.

FWIW, I was concerned about weight gain too, but due to morning sickness for 19 weeks, I only gained 6 pounds.  My DD was 6lb 10oz, so the weight fell off of me.  I am 30 lb under my pp weight and it was effortless.  It will be ok.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I just want to wish you congratulations!!!

• Congratulations!

I am a plus size girl....18-20 depending on the article of clothing and I have found lots of stuff.  Gap Maternity stuff is sized all over the place and I fit into a few items in the XL and XXL but also in a L!  Who knew.  Lane Bryant has shirts in the regular store that are long and looked nice on me.  A few Motherhood Maternity stores have a plus size section.  Sears & JC Penney also have maternity sections in plus size options.  No it isn't as easy as being a size 6 and finding stuff but you will be successful.

The best advice...ok beat into me by my sister....was to just try stuff on and see how it works.  I am not one who loves trying on clothes out of the pure frustration of things not fitting well but you have to.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A very big congrats to you!  I'm 36 and a plus size too....18/20 depending on the stores.  I've been very lucky buying clothes at Target & Old Navy.  I was actually extremely bloated for about 4 wks and I'm only starting to feel better now.  I'm not loosing weight, but I am walking about 3-4 times a week for about an hour, I find that it clears my head and helps me to keep toned...

Good luck and enjoy !!!

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First a HUGE congrats to you!   Second- I'm also 39 and plus sized also.   I was wearing a 20-22 depending on the cut before I got pregnant, and was an 18 for my first pregnancy.    I'm 6' tall, so it puts it a bit in perspective, but I'm a big girl!   I have had no problems with either pregnancy (thank god)  and as long as you don't go *insane* with the cravings and you listen to your body?  (unless your body is telling you that a pint of Ben and Jerry's every 10 mins is a good idea, of course... )   you're going to be just fine.

I'd say don't sweat the WW thing.   You've probably learned enough already to know how to eat and what you *can* retain from WW during pregnancy (she says, speaking from experience..) is your portion size.     I make sure I eat 6 times a day - 3 meals and 3 snacks, and I try to snack on veggies and lean proteins as often as I can.   I love my fruit- and have been on a mango kick (of course I am, they're not in season.. ), so - that's where i treat myself.  That and pineapple juice.   You know, things I wouldn't necessarily have year round, but that aren't terrible for you.

As far as exercise... maybe see about a yoga class?    They have some that are designed for moms to be and it's good exercise and *relaxing*.. and I promise- you'll want as much relaxed time as you can get before the little one shows up LOL!

Really- a HUGE congrats to you - this is a really great and exciting time :)

Best-

Christine

• Whoops- *and* - forgot... Lane Bryant on line (lanebyrant.com) has a maternity section.   They dont' have a ton of stuff?   I'd say JCPenney for supplementing, but I found that the LB stuff was pretty cute, and I saved it for this pregnancy.    I bet they're having decent specials and sales going on right now.  :)

Christine

• Congratulations!

If you still want to be able to track your food intake, try babyfit.com. It's a great site and will help you keep on track.

• imageDebbieMc:

Congratulations!!!!

You only need up to an additional 300 calories per day when pregnant.  3000 calories per day is way too many.  Keep trying to eat 3 healthy meals per day and two small snacks that are nutritious.  Push the water.  Your doctor can go over this with you at your next visit.

Congratulations!  Don't sweat your weight while you're pregnant.  Concentrate on getting quality calories in and staying healthy.  You'll need it for your baby!

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • My doctor told me to watch the carbs and empty calories. Focus on ?getting protein and vegetables.?
  • I'm pg, plus and 39 as well!  I follow a gestational diabetes diet when pg under the care of my Endocrinologist and take in 2000 calories a day.  He's said I most likely will not gain any weight during a pregnancy, but that I'll be healthy, the baby will be healthy, etc.  It's all good basically.  I know that diet sounds medical and all, but honestly it's all about eating healthy - focusing on vegetables, whole grains, and isn't hard to follow.  Although it did take getting used to eating 6 times a day.  I'm 5'9" and a size 18/20.
  • Whoops!!!!!!!!!!!! My bad. I needed 3000 caloeris per day. (remember, big girl here)

You can calculate like this

Your weight x 11 = aprox amount of calories to maintain your weight + 300 per day for pg

Soooooo,  if you weigh 200 lbs x 11 = 2200 + 300 = 2500 calories per day

If you want to lose weight, just deduct calories from that amount and you will lose weight.

• Congrats!  I'm pg, plus size and 38.  I know the feeling of wanting to keep losing but can't.  Just concentrate on eating healthy.

I found some nice things online at Jcpenney.com for plus size maternity.

Diagnosed with PCOS June 2004 Abby born 2/2007 and Ally 3/2009 imagehttp://Life In Sublurbia.blogspot.com
  • Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback!  I'm new to this site and still learning all the lingo so bare with me.  :-)
  • Me too! 37, and size 18/20.  I have actually found most of my cuter maternity clothes at Target.  I found casual things as well as clothes for work, ie, nice slacks and tailored tops. They fit me much better that the things at Motherhood, etc.  I think it depends on your shape though, so try things on, it will save you time and tears! 

• First, congratulations. ?Second, can I tell you how HAPPY I am that you started this thread? ?I'm 36, and slightly fluffy. ?I figured that I will weigh just over 200 pounds by the time the baby is born. ?I'm more worried about starting to exercise than finding maternity clothes...I'm afraid of overdoing it and putting stress on the baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"