Food Allergy

Newly diagnosed milk allergy. Recs for milk and cheese?

My son's allergist wants us to avoid milk. My son LOVES cheese and yogurt and milk. We are already on a soy free diet as well. Can you give me any experience you've had with rice milk and/or coconut milk? Also can you recommend a good dairy free cheese? Thanks so much.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Newly diagnosed milk allergy. Recs for milk and cheese?

• I buy the enriched rice milk and Daiya is the best cheese substitute I have found.  It melts nicely to make mac and cheese, etc.  They have cheddar, mozz, and pepperjack at my grocery store.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• we like "original" almond milk a bit more than rice milk, but any rice milk is ok too.  I second the Daiya cheese as the best non-dairy cheese.  What about SO Delicious Coconut Yogurt for DS?  These are all things that I find at a local food co-op.  Coconut ice cream is also good...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS will drink any type of milk - he is great that way.  DD is the one with the allergy, though - LOL.  Pedi said rice milk is "crap" (her words not mine) and recommend almond milk for when DD turns 12 months old. 

She also mentioned hemp milk - but I think some people find it a little bitter.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • BLM10BLM10 member
    My son hated almond milk and now drinks So Delicious "original" coconut milk... he also eats the SD yogurt and icecream. We haven't even attempted cheese yet.
  • imageBLM10:
    My son hated almond milk and now drinks So Delicious "original" coconut milk... he also eats the SD yogurt and icecream. We haven't even attempted cheese yet.

I hope she LOVES almond milk -- because I do Wink

I have heard coconut milk is yummy too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagenic5606:
    I buy the enriched rice milk and Daiya is the best cheese substitute I have found.  It melts nicely to make mac and cheese, etc.  They have cheddar, mozz, and pepperjack at my grocery store.

How is enriched rice milk different from regular rice milk? Does it have more calcium and protein?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"