Working Moms
Options

My employee is pregnant, how can I best accomodate her?

So today my employee L told me she's 3 months pregnant. Hooray! She's keeping it hush-hush until they find out the gender, but she told me to give me the heads up. I know she and her husband have had some fertility issues, so I really want to be supportive of her. She's on her feet most of the day, so I'm going to start giving her more work she can do seated and make sure she gets plenty of breaks. Other than that, what can I do to make it easier for her to work through her pregnancy?

Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!

Re: My employee is pregnant, how can I best accomodate her?

• Options
    You're an awesome supervisor to be so concerned about her!  Honestly, every pregnancy is different and every woman will need/want different things.  I'd just make her aware that you're willing to accommodate her and that she can come to you with any concerns or requests. 
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

imagekacelle:
    You're an awesome supervisor to be so concerned about her!  Honestly, every pregnancy is different and every woman will need/want different things.  I'd just make her aware that you're willing to accommodate her and that she can come to you with any concerns or requests. 

I totally agree with this. I would feel so appreciated as an employee just to even hear that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What a kind and lovely person you are!  I agree with PP and add letting her know she can rearrange her schedule if needed for OB appointments.  That was a huge stress for me!
  • Options

imageBelleWithABlade:
    What a kind and lovely person you are!  I agree with PP and add letting her know she can rearrange her schedule if needed for OB appointments.  That was a huge stress for me!

This exactly! My boss was amazing with accommodating my appointments (I was high risk so there were lots of them). That was a huge help and weight off my shoulders. Also helping with assigning tasks that keep her off her feet, especially later on. Allowing her plenty of time to eat or snack is important too. 

• Options
    reb562reb562 member
    even though what you are doing is amazing, make sure you are fair with the other employees.  Most employees will feel resentful because she is getting special treatment and they are picking up the slack...just food for thought.
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

You are a very nice person.

When I was pregnant, all I wanted was to be treated normal, I was pregnant, not handicap. People asking me "how you feeling" 10 times a day drove me crazy.

I would let her know that she can take breaks whenever she feels tired, but I wouldnt give her more seated work. If she is used to walking all day, she will be fine doing so, it might be even better for her to continue keeping the same pace. So I would just let her know that doesnt have to push herself if she feels tired or sick, and that you are there for her. Thats all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You are awesome!  Just wanted to put that out there.  My boss was really good with my pregnancy... some things that I loved were...

1. She was super understanding when I came in a little later.  I was still in by 9 - but she was totally helpful with me having terrible morning sickness!
    2. She let me come hang out in her office when people were eating things that made me sick - and had a really strong smelling lotion that I could put at my desk to block out the smell.
    3. She always asked about my Dr. appts - be careful with this though (she accidently outed my pregnancy) Smile

Again, you are a great boss!  Hope this helps!

• Options
    Wow!  You're awesome! I would just say allow her the flexibility needed for any Dr. appointments, and maybe be lenient on the temperature and comfortable shoes. :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Ms5586Ms5586 member

I <3 you as an employer.  PPs said it best, just be accommodating.  Know that she may need to come in late or leave early if she's not feeling well, call off without too much notice (there were days when I couldn't get out of bed, no matter what I did), will have multiple doctors appointments.  Just be flexible.  She should be willing to make up the time as needed (I worked through a lot of lunches lol).

Also, make sure she knows her job is secure after the baby.  If she happens to bring up the fact that she wants to breastfeed, try to find an appropriate area for her to pump in when she returns (that ISN'T a bathroom, and with a door that locks, preferably).  It was really nice knowing that my boss was excited for me, and not just seeing me as an employee with potential issues.

• Options

You rock.

I'm a pastry chef and the only accommodation I got was a break on lifting more than 25 lbs, and that was after I brought a note from my OB. I stil worked standing in a hot room, on my feet, loading ovens all day.  Anytime I did sit for a 5 minute break, I'd get the side eye. I love my career, but never imagined how much having a big round belly could get in the way. 

I totally agree with the PP who said don't make it look like special treatment. Toward the very end, I had to temporarily cut my 9 hour day to an 8 hour day (after saving all of PTO for a year) and you would have thought I was only working for 3 hours the way some of my coworkers reacted. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageMs5586:

I <3 you as an employer.  PPs said it best, just be accommodating.  Know that she may need to come in late or leave early if she's not feeling well, call off without too much notice (there were days when I couldn't get out of bed, no matter what I did), will have multiple doctors appointments.  Just be flexible.  She should be willing to make up the time as needed (I worked through a lot of lunches lol).

Also, make sure she knows her job is secure after the baby.  If she happens to bring up the fact that she wants to breastfeed, try to find an appropriate area for her to pump in when she returns (that ISN'T a bathroom, and with a door that locks, preferably).  It was really nice knowing that my boss was excited for me, and not just seeing me as an employee with potential issues.

Oh, my business is breastfeeding friendly. I've thrown people out for giving breastfeeding moms a hard time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"