January 2012 Moms
Options

Babyproofing

DD is beginning to crawl, so far she isn't alll over the place, but I'm bracing for what to come.  It seems like there is a ton of stuff to do.  I know about the cabinets, power outlets etc,, but what else are must as far baby proofing goes?  Should we put a gate at the bottom of the steps or just the top?  And for 2nd timers, what did you do that you ended up "undoing" because it was such a PITA?  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Babyproofing

• Options

Any sharp corners or edges for when she starts to pull up and cruise; block off any heat source that can get hot; I plan on getting a gate just to contain DS in the living room if I need to make dinner in the kitchen; block of any electronics that are somewhat out in the open; take any breakable things off of tables if they're reachable or if the table isn't very stable and they could be knocked over.  

We're removing our coffee table because it is GIGANTIC, has tons of sharp edges, and leaves little cruising space in the living room.  We're just going to get a few little leather square storage ottomans to use in its place.  You don't have to worry about it yet, but eventually you'll need to put something on your door knobs, and maybe toilet seat?  I just plan on leaving the bathroom door closed.

I basically rearranged all my cabinets, drawers, and shelves.  Anything in reach of baby I filled with things that I'm ok with DS playing with (fabric, toys, pots & pans, books, etc).  I moved everything else to the top or somewhere else. 

Just go into each room and think, if I were a baby, what would I do?  :) 

Anniversary

• Options
    UGH...this seems like a lot of work that I am probably just going to put off until I regret not doing anything!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, the only thing I've ever done as far as baby proofing goes is a lock on the cabinet that has cleaners and chemicals in it, baby gate for the stairs, and door knob covers for the front and back door. Other then that, we'll just keep a close eye on her. 
  • Options

imagekelleynb28:
    UGH...this seems like a lot of work that I am probably just going to put off until I regret not doing anything!

Lol. We've been slowly doing it because we watch my niece every now and then.  I think it's harder to baby proof for a toddler than a baby.  Toddlers seem to do more damage! 

Anniversary

• Options

My biggest concerns are the poisons/cleaners, heavy objects that can be pulled down, the stove, and the toilets.  We do not have a pool but MIL has a lake in her backyard; I really want her to get a special lock and alarm but probably will just request that she come to our house to watch our son. 

I plan on getting cabinets in the laundry room to place the poisons/cleaners later on this year. Until then, I plan on just locking them up high in our linen closet in our bedroom.

We are securing items to the wall that could otherwise be pulled down (TV hutch, dressers, bookcases).

The stove has the knobs in the front. I need to figure out covers for these knobs.  Biggest reason this concerns me is that the dog was accidentally able to turn these on.

I want to get a lock for the toilet in the guest bathroom or just put a lock on the bathroom door handle. We already keep the door closed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
  • Options

imageCharlieTheUnicorn:
    Honestly, the only thing I've ever done as far as baby proofing goes is a lock on the cabinet that has cleaners and chemicals in it, baby gate for the stairs, and door knob covers for the front and back door. Other then that, we'll just keep a close eye on her. 

This. We only will be doing outlet covers and keeping the cleaning supplies up high instead of under the sink. We have a ranch so no stairs. We may get a gate for her room when needed, so that she can't run out of her room during the night.

• Options
    While baby boy isn't anywhere close to crawling yet, we have already decided we need to move the couch away from the railing so he doesn't go flying over it. I never thought about getting rid of the coffee table. We might just do that. I am scared of all the damn plugs and power strips we have all over the place. I found some cute ideas on pinterest about what to do with cleaners and the such that I am going to do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

imageLhand11:
    I found some cute ideas on pinterest about what to do with cleaners and the such that I am going to do. 

Link? Or what did you search for? 

• Options
    imageraefre:

imageLhand11:
    I found some cute ideas on pinterest about what to do with cleaners and the such that I am going to do. 

I can't seem to find it, but it is a tension rod under the sink and you hook your cleaning spray bottles on it. It keeps them off the ground and the spray handle makes it harder to get off.  

• Options
    imageLibraryChica:

imageLhand11:
    I never thought about getting rid of the coffee table. We might just do that.  

We never did buy a coffee table so when we did get pregnant I went ahead an DIYed an upholstered one. We bought the coffee table off of Craigslist and then upholstered the top, sort of like this. https://ana-white.com/2010/12/easiest-upholstered-bench

It ended up looking nice and is quite squishy.

I could definitely do that with the table I have now. Good idea, thanks.  

• Options
    imageLhand11:
    imageraefre:

imageLhand11:

I can't seem to find it, but it is a tension rod under the sink and you hook your cleaning spray bottles on it. It keeps them off the ground and the spray handle makes it harder to get off.  

I think I know what you are talking about; now I'm going to try to find out more. Thanks so much. 

• Options

I took a baby corral and used half of it to gate in the TV and the other half to gate in the computer.  We put the coffee table in storage for now and just let him have the run of the living room.  I have a gate for the bathroom I haven't put up yet (cat's litter box is in there, so shutting the door isn't an option), and I still need to take some things out of the lower cabinets.  Otherwise, supervision is the name of the game.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    We have unused outlets plugged and latches on the cabinets under the sinks. I have not padded anything or strapped any furniture to the walls. We do have gates at the top and bottom of the stairs, and I have found this to be a necessity. The rest of the gates we have are currently proving to be not very useful. I don't pick up the dogfood, or anything like that. I taught DS that certain things were off limits. We need occasional reminders, but what we've done has worked so far. Once DS figured out how to open doors, we also put safety covers on the two regular doors to the outside, and more recently (in preparation for toddler bed transition) added them to the upstairs baths and guest room. I still need to get one for the sliding glass door. He has escaped a couple of times now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"