Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

iPhone vs Samsung Galaxy

Hi! My wife pointed me in the direction of this board when I told her I wanted some more opinions on this matter, so I'm using her account. This really does't have anything to do with parenting obviously.

Anyway, I am finally considering coming out of the dark ages and upgrading to a cell phone that is modern. I have a plan and provider chosen but need help on the phone

Basically, I am looking for a phone that has good apps available for download, both work related and for amusement. I will want to be able to access Microsoft word and excel documents. My data usage will probably be modest, limited to web browsing, e-mail and maybe a bit of app downloading.

WhileI would like to be able to take good quality video and pics with my phone, I will not be streaming a lot of video/audio content, if any at all over the phone. If possible, an SD or micro SD slot would be appreciated. I think the Galaxy phones come with this.

So:

1. - Your thoughts on the latest iPhone vs the Samsung Galaxy S3. I am kind of leaning towards the Galaxy. Your thoughts.

2. If I were to purchase the Galaxy, would it be worth getting the S3 or is the S2 sufficient? I would spend the extra money if it were worth my while in improvements, but I'd rather be as frugal as possible.

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated
:)

Nevermind me, I'm too distracted by my mini-carrots to think properly image
~Fitness Blog~
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: iPhone vs Samsung Galaxy

• Options

woman piping in:

Both phones are fantastic (although I LOVE the iphone, easy to use, great apps. I don't steam a ton of video content but I have downloaded a couple movies and put them unto my iphone using itunes which worked great for plane rides.

The only thing I do not like about the galaxy is it's size. That thing is MASSIVE. It's one thing if you're a girl and can put it in your purse but I have no idea how a guy can fit that comfortably in their pocket.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I absolutely love my iPhone 4s and I know the next one will be even greater. I don't know too much about Samsung Galaxy but it does look quite great itself. Apple alway has great apps and their new software update coming up this fall looks like it adds a bunch of cool new features too. I have my iPhone 4s jailbroken too to add some other cool features that Apple does not currently have ( and no I don't jailbreak to steal apps or anything like that). 

So to answer some of your questions on the iphone side: yes you can still access Microsoft software on iphone. I view all my word documents and excel spreadsheets on the go. Apple has an amazing amount of apps that have to meet Apple standards before they get approved. I am not totally sure about the Android market but I know they are not as strict as Apple.

I am an Apple guy for life and probably will always stick with it unless something else totally blows my mind away. The Samsung galaxy 3 looks like though as a great rival for iPhone. Hope this helped good luck on your purchase! 

BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

Created with Gifboom

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLilBlkDress1:

woman piping in:

Both phones are fantastic (although I LOVE the iphone, easy to use, great apps. I don't steam a ton of video content but I have downloaded a couple movies and put them unto my iphone using itunes which worked great for plane rides.

The only thing I do not like about the galaxy is it's size. That thing is MASSIVE. It's one thing if you're a girl and can put it in your purse but I have no idea how a guy can fit that comfortably in their pocket.  

My DH says it fits great. He sells phones and tests them all in his pocket. It's really thin but definitely massive. I might be getting one next week.

Sadly I can't get him to post anything himself yet.

• Options

I LOVE my Galaxy.  The iPhone is way to small for me in terms of viewing media, and for me, since I have no need to synch up to other Apple programs and devices, an iPhone really has no advantages to offer me.  Yeah, the screen is massive.  But when it comes to viewing movies or photos, nothing look better, nothing!!  It fits in my shirt pockets, and I never like having a phone in my pants pocket anyway.  When I am at work for ten hours a day it is on my desk so it never is an issue.

Samsung Galaxy, for me, wins hands down.  Unless you have an iPad and other Apple devices, I would not even consider an iPhone.  iPhones look old and antiquated compared to a Galaxy.

• Options
    I have the S2 by the way.  I do not believe there is any difference in the size, and as far as functions the only thing I know of that is an upgrade is the ability to share things real time, like video.

• Options

My wife got the white GS3 and I have the blue, and we both love the phone. She thought it was going to be too big for her, but she has no issues with the size of the phone.  It is just on the edge of being too big, but unless you only wear skinny jeans you shouldn't have an issue with the size.

I'm a huge fan of Android. Apple doesn't let you think for yourself, where android lets you pick how you want to do almost anything.

The screen can be a little dim in direct sunlight, but it is a minor set back.  The GS3 has more RAM and a faster processor than the GS2 (and iPhone) and is worth the extra money.  Not the mention S Beam far more than I thought I would.

Get the GS3, you'll be glad you did.

• Options
    imageKurtDasha:

My wife got the white GS3 and I have the blue, and we both love the phone. She thought it was going to be too big for her, but she has no issues with the size of the phone.  It is just on the edge of being too big, but unless you only wear skinny jeans you shouldn't have an issue with the size.

I'm a huge fan of Android. Apple doesn't let you think for yourself, where android lets you pick how you want to do almost anything.

The screen can be a little dim in direct sunlight, but it is a minor set back.  The GS3 has more RAM and a faster processor than the GS2 (and iPhone) and is worth the extra money.  Not the mention S Beam far more than I thought I would.

I am trying to talk my wife into the GS3 over the iPhone.  My mother just got her a new iPad so I might lose that battle.

• Options

We got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for our wedding gift to each other and we love it.  Samsung has some press conference on August 18, where they are suppose to announce a new Galaxy Tab or a larger Galaxy Note.

The Galaxy S3 is superior in every way when compared to the iPhone.  The big screen is awesome when it comes to watching movies and TV.

• Options

When faced with the same choice I found these articles helpful

https://www.pcworld.com/article/208491/mobile_os_smackdown_windows_phone_7_vs_ios_vs_android.html

https://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57327800-85/android-vs-iphone-vs-windows-phone-pick-your-smartphone-os/

Personally though and perhaps not very objectively I would recommend android.  S2 will do (that's what I have), but S3 is better.

• Options
    imageKurtDasha:

This. I got the white, hubby got the blue. Hubby is a software engineer and prefers android because he can "do more" to his phone. I just love all the features it offers and that hubby can use android operating system to our advantage and create useful apps for us. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"