1st Trimester

Powerlifting and pregnant

I'm a personal trainer/strength and conditioning/crossfit coach. I'm also a competitive powerlifter. I won't be competing anymore until after the little one is born. I compete at 148lbs (though my walking weight is closer to 160) and so far squat 235, bench 135, and deadlift 303. Are there any other strong ladies prego out there that plan to keep lifting? How does your doctor feel about that? I haven't met with my doctor yet but I've known several powerlifters that lifted heavy (though less so towards the end) up until the last couple weeks.

Re: Powerlifting and pregnant

• Hey Girl!

You are a pretty impressive athlete!  I am a fitness instructor.  I teach a class with weights, Body Pump.  We do multiple reps with low weight on the bar.  My doctor told me to work at 75% of my capacity at all of my exercises.  It's tough.  I am wearing a heart rate monitor as a guide and not letting it get over 160.  A good friend of mine who is an athletic instructor used 160 bpm as a guide while pregnant and her baby is strong and healthy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageaislinnanne:
    I'm a personal trainer/strength and conditioning/crossfit coach. I'm also a competitive powerlifter. I won't be competing anymore until after the little one is born. I compete at 148lbs (though my walking weight is closer to 160) and so far squat 235, bench 135, and deadlift 303. Are there any other strong ladies prego out there that plan to keep lifting? How does your doctor feel about that? I haven't met with my doctor yet but I've known several powerlifters that lifted heavy (though less so towards the end) up until the last couple weeks.

I know that there is a poster (GhostMonkey) who is also into weight lifting or power lifting. I'll page her on TTGP and she can help you out. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'm an avid CrossFitter and my dr. told me to stop it for my 1st Trimester.  Between the no air conditioning in the building (I live in FL) and the exertion he told me it's better to be safe than sorry. I miss is terribly but it's what's best I guess.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagenmo941:

I'm an avid CrossFitter and my dr. told me to stop it for my 1st Trimester.  Between the no air conditioning in the building (I live in FL) and the exertion he told me it's better to be safe than sorry. I miss is terribly but it's what's best I guess.

I'm a crossfitter too and I haven't asked my Dr. yet because I was afraid this would be the answer. My gym isn't air conditioned either, but I love the workouts and I miss my buddies! Oh well, I'll ask, but whatever is best for the babe! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageScoutLiberty11:
    imagenmo941:

I'm an avid CrossFitter and my dr. told me to stop it for my 1st Trimester.  Between the no air conditioning in the building (I live in FL) and the exertion he told me it's better to be safe than sorry. I miss is terribly but it's what's best I guess.

I'm a crossfitter too and I haven't asked my Dr. yet because I was afraid this would be the answer. My gym isn't air conditioned either, but I love the workouts and I miss my buddies! Oh well, I'll ask, but whatever is best for the babe! 

Why don't you just scale it down? I would.

ETA: Here is just one of the blogs out there about xfitting pregnant: https://www.todaysparent.com/blogs/bouncing-back.

Sorrry OP to hijack.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It's not the toning it down. it's the fact that there is no air-conditioning and it's 98 degrees out with 100% humidity.

Over exertion and the heat is the main reason my dr told me to stop.

Believe me, I didn't want too

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Have you read this yet? https://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2011/04/episode-141-what-is-a-good-pregnancy-exercise-routine/

I found it while searching for which ab exercises are okay during pg. The link to the transcript is the most interesting part b

I don't power lift, but I do lift as heavy as I can at the gym. I do mostly machines with some free weights. I plan to continue my split and just modify as my belly gets in the way. I would like to not lose strength over the next 9 months.  

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I think this might be the link with the transcript. 

https://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2012/02/ab-exercises-for-pregancy/

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I don't know much about that program specifically but with all my pregnant clients my rule has always been this: check your ego at the door and listen to your body. If you feel too hot, stop. If you feel uncomfortable, stop. If you can't keep tight through a lift, it's too heavy. As long as you are honest, airing on the side of cautious, with yourself, there is no reason you should lose much strength. 

My only problem, so far, with strength loss is that I have no appetite. I'm eating as much as I can but it's not as much as I'm used to. I've lost a few pounds in the last week and a half and I'm pretty sure it wasn't all body fat. That combined with the fact that I am SO thirsty all the time and stop when I run out of water is certainly putting a kink in my strength progress. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"