Military Families

Baby Boot Camp

How many of you ladies have done it?? Would you recommend it??? And, how far along were you when you did do it???

Thanks!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby Boot Camp

• I have not done this yet, but I plan to soon.  I'm a little over 26 weeks right now and I want to take it soon.  I'm taking a birthing class about 4 weeks before our due date.  Our OB suggested to wait until closer to the due date so the information sticks better.
  • First off, congrats! :)

From my questioning friends on facebook as well, it sounds like it's well worth your time :)

Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well!! 

• Loading the player...
  • I did it when I was around 30 weeks with DS. There were somethings that we're helpful, but overall, it was a waste of time. The videos they showed were from the 80s. We spent more time discussing birth control options and discipline when they are older than anything else. It wasn't anything like I thought it would be. The women who conducted the class gave their own opinions on what yu should do rather than by research. One, for example, told the class we should spank our children starting at 18 months as a primary form of discipline. The other said to wait until they were 2. I'm sure they aren't all like that, but it's not something I recommended to my friends, lol.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLissa832:
    I did it when I was around 30 weeks with DS. There were somethings that we're helpful, but overall, it was a waste of time. The videos they showed were from the 80s. We spent more time discussing birth control options and discipline when they are older than anything else. It wasn't anything like I thought it would be. The women who conducted the class gave their own opinions on what yu should do rather than by research. One, for example, told the class we should spank our children starting at 18 months as a primary form of discipline. The other said to wait until they were 2. I'm sure they aren't all like that, but it's not something I recommended to my friends, lol.

I see you're in VA... where did you take it?? If we decide to, it'll be at Portsmouth... 

• I consider classes like that something that can't hurt. Worst thing that could happen is being a waste of your time. You can take or leave the advice but there mightbe a few nuggets worth your time. 

If you're delivering at Portsmouth, I highly recommend you get a home visit done after the baby arrives. Especially if you are planning to BF. a friend of mine does them and she's a great asset to mothers who might need someone to ask questions of after the birth.  

• imageArmyQM:

I consider classes like that something that can't hurt. Worst thing that could happen is being a waste of your time. You can take or leave the advice but there mightbe a few nuggets worth your time. 

If you're delivering at Portsmouth, I highly recommend you get a home visit done after the baby arrives. Especially if you are planning to BF. a friend of mine does them and she's a great asset to mothers who might need someone to ask questions of after the birth.  

I'm not actually delivering there... I have tricare standard, so I'll be delivering at Sentara Leigh, but I'll have to look and see if they do something like that. Thanks!! 

• imagejessilynnwilliams:
    imageArmyQM:

I consider classes like that something that can't hurt. Worst thing that could happen is being a waste of your time. You can take or leave the advice but there mightbe a few nuggets worth your time. 

I'm not actually delivering there... I have tricare standard, so I'll be delivering at Sentara Leigh, but I'll have to look and see if they do something like that. Thanks!! 

Ah, ok. I didn't deliver at Portsmouth either. I chose The Midwifery Center at DePaul. I only know Portsmouth does them because a friend I met through LLL does them and she is very helpful/knowledgeable. 
  • So cant hurt to have the information! We did, baby basics, Breastfeeding, and birthing classes. We started them in time to be finished with them by 37 weeks. So for me it was 8 weeks of classes, and I started at 29 weeks...

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Great! Thanks Ladies :) We signed up for the baby bootcamp in September, and I'll be 35 weeks. It's a one day (all day) class which is awesome :)
  • We are doing it at Portsmouth in September also.  I figure it can't hurt to go and see what they have to say.  I will be around 33 weeks.  I want to be done with all the classes by the time I am 35 weeks.
    Trying To Conceive since November 2009
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    IUI#1-4 all BFN
    IVF#1 January (4R, 4M, 1F) BFP
    Colt was born on 10/27 at 11:50pm. 6lbs and 19 1/4"
    Surpise! Baby #2 is on it's way.  EDD 9.18.14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehunterjumper102:
    We are doing it at Portsmouth in September also.  I figure it can't hurt to go and see what they have to say.  I will be around 33 weeks.  I want to be done with all the classes by the time I am 35 weeks.

Are you doing the bootcamp on the 13th??? :) 

imageLissa832:
    I did it when I was around 30 weeks with DS. There were somethings that we're helpful, but overall, it was a waste of time. The videos they showed were from the 80s. We spent more time discussing birth control options and discipline when they are older than anything else. It wasn't anything like I thought it would be. The women who conducted the class gave their own opinions on what yu should do rather than by research. One, for example, told the class we should spank our children starting at 18 months as a primary form of discipline. The other said to wait until they were 2. I'm sure they aren't all like that, but it's not something I recommended to my friends, lol.

I see you're in VA... where did you take it?? If we decide to, it'll be at Portsmouth... 

This was 6.5 years ago at Cherry Point, NC. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLissa832:
    imagejessilynnwilliams:

imageLissa832:

This was 6.5 years ago at Cherry Point, NC. 

I'm crossing my fingers it'll be a little better! :) That's awful that your class was like that though! 

imagehunterjumper102:
    We are doing it at Portsmouth in September also.  I figure it can't hurt to go and see what they have to say.  I will be around 33 weeks.  I want to be done with all the classes by the time I am 35 weeks.

Yes thats the one! 

Trying To Conceive since November 2009
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    IUI#1-4 all BFN
    IVF#1 January (4R, 4M, 1F) BFP
    Colt was born on 10/27 at 11:50pm. 6lbs and 19 1/4"
    Surpise! Baby #2 is on it's way.  EDD 9.18.14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehunterjumper102:
    imagejessilynnwilliams:

imagehunterjumper102:

Yes thats the one! 

I'll be seeing you there then :)  

• Hi!! We just moved from Florida to Indiana while I was 36 weeks pregnant. We did a 12 hour long baby boot camp at the hospital we will be delivering at. It was AMAZING. My husband agrees but I think he liked it because he got a huge and free lunch haha I feel so much more prepared. It also included a hospital tour. It was really great. I was originally considered that I would be the farthest along, but with the ladies I met.. It seemed they were about there too. We all agreed it would be nice to have it fresh in our minds. I definitely suggest it at any point during pregnancy. It was really nice.
  • imagehammy2399:
    Hi!! We just moved from Florida to Indiana while I was 36 weeks pregnant. We did a 12 hour long baby boot camp at the hospital we will be delivering at. It was AMAZING. My husband agrees but I think he liked it because he got a huge and free lunch haha I feel so much more prepared. It also included a hospital tour. It was really great. I was originally considered that I would be the farthest along, but with the ladies I met.. It seemed they were about there too. We all agreed it would be nice to have it fresh in our minds. I definitely suggest it at any point during pregnancy. It was really nice.

Great! Thanks so much!! :D 

• imagemummyofsix:

It was over 10 years ago now (OMG) but I did it with my oldest, yes. However, I had never even *touched* a baby, let alone changed a diaper or bathed one. So while others were rolling their eyes, I was little Miss Studious taking notes and deep breathing with panic. 

I think I liked it. I do remember it was a fun day, they made it enjoyable. My XH did not take the class because he is the oldest of 12 and didnt need the help. However, years later when DH and I were expecting (his first and second, my second and third) he went to the classes and loved them. I think it gave him some good confidence.  

Awesome! Thanks! I've been babysitting since I was 12 and worked as a nanny for a while, so bathing and changing won't be new to me... but it sure will to my hubby!! Sounds like this will be a good thing for us!! 

• I'm gonna assume that Baby Boot Camp is the same thing as the labor prep class?  If so, I did take it, and to be honest, I can't remember how far along I was at the time, but I want to say probably between 32-35 weeks.  I felt that it was beneficial.  Yes, there were a lot of old 80s movies lol, but it was nice to go and try out the different labor positions and ask questions.  I took my husband with me, which I highly suggest, because he remembered a lot of things I ended up forgetting.  I would suggest taking it a little closer to your due date though; my hospital only offered it once a month, so that's why I took mine so early.  My doctor would have preferred it if I could have taken it later lol.

• imageJMU_Bride09:
    I'm gonna assume that Baby Boot Camp is the same thing as the labor prep class?  If so, I did take it, and to be honest, I can't remember how far along I was at the time, but I want to say probably between 32-35 weeks.  I felt that it was beneficial.  Yes, there were a lot of old 80s movies lol, but it was nice to go and try out the different labor positions and ask questions.  I took my husband with me, which I highly suggest, because he remembered a lot of things I ended up forgetting.  I would suggest taking it a little closer to your due date though; my hospital only offered it once a month, so that's why I took mine so early.  My doctor would have preferred it if I could have taken it later lol.

Great! Thanks :) I'll be just over 35 weeks when we take it, so that's actually sounding like a good thing! I was worried we waited too long! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"