Military Families

Thinking of enlisting...

Hey ladies...I would appreciate any advice you can give.

DH is waiting back on some test results for a job, and if that doesn't work out then he will be looking at joining the military. Right now he isn't quite sure what branch... part of it depends on who will take him (obviously). I think it will probably be the marines or the army. I was just wondering if any of you had insight into the process (eg- how long it takes, steps, etc) before and during boot camp. It's a little overwhelming starting the process-- we have an 8 month old. But with the current economy, we are running out of options and I don't want to say it's a last resort because we have a deep respect for the troops (FIL was in the marines)... I just don't necessarily think we saw ourselves going in this direction before.TIA!

Re: Thinking of enlisting...

• I don't have much info for you regarding the Army or Marines. We are Air Force and I just wanted to tell you that I highly support your decision. Obviously, I am totally pro-military and you are exactly right, with this economy, it is great stability.  

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFarmBoysWife:

imagemama&baby:

Hey ladies...I would appreciate any advice you can give.

DH is waiting back on some test results for a job, and if that doesn't work out then he will be looking at joining the military. Right now he isn't quite sure what branch... part of it depends on who will take him (obviously). I think it will probably be the marines or the army. I was just wondering if any of you had insight into the process (eg- how long it takes, steps, etc) before and during boot camp. It's a little overwhelming starting the process-- we have an 8 month old. But with the current economy, we are running out of options and I don't want to say it's a last resort because we have a deep respect for the troops (FIL was in the marines)... I just don't necessarily think we saw ourselves going in this direction before.TIA!

Heh, I was asking girls on my BMB who are military the same thing- I guess this could be my introduction to the board since I've been lurking since we made the decision. DH had wanted to do it as a kid and always had a reason not to, not DH has quit his job because of work politics and was pursuing military before he quit. His preference is air force, of course he is leaving his options open. For us its not really a "last option" but DH no longer wants to pursue the career he is in, and its something he's always wanted to do.. so we're like what the hell!

I'm in the same stage as you, so I cant say anything for the timing.  

We also never thought of us going in this direction, we actually bought a house right before DS was born (bought, moved, and had DS in December).

So I've been more focusing on how this is going to affect us- my son and I. I guess this is a good time to fact-check my understanding with these ladies.. Obviously for training and basic we wont move to him, but my understanding is that the military (if you are FT) pays a housing allowance because DH is required to provide housing for his dependents. For me, I work 50 hours a week with a 1 hour commute, so I'm going to be basically be a single mom through that point- I'm ok with that because I have a large family in the area that is willing and able to help as my hours exceed traditional day care hours. 
    When he is stationed then we can either do our own move, or they will move us. One thing my BMB ladies stressed on me is trusting DH as he wont be able to tell me things, and sometimes will be out of contact. I know with my brother when he did basic he couldnt contact us for a good long while, then we got his address and could send letters. With my son being so young, my plan is to write a short daily letter of my and my sons' going on's and take a picture, sending it all once a week at minimum so that MH can still feel involved in the process. When my brother joined the army he left in late April/early May, before I graduated High School and came back in late September after I left for college- and that was just for Logistics. Fields in which they need more training it could be longer.

They also warned me that moving so much there could be feelings of isolation as you make and "lose" friends. And that it is hard on kids because of the moving so much- they emphasized consistency through out everything. They warned me that DH is owned by the military (understandable) and that basically we (DS and I) are treated like Baggage, from lurking around and knowing my brothers experience- some units are family friendly, some don't care. 

I'm more nervous about DH going away and doing this than I was for giving birth to my son. Its a whole new lifestyle, moving to places I've never been (the extent of my travels is where I went to college in GA and lived with DH and here, my hometown) and moving isnt so scary as much as wondering how will it affect my son and my husband. 

You can PM me if you want to start a mini-support group since we're both in the same stage. I'm sure we have a lot of the same concerns and worries.

And again- Hello! and if I have anything wrong or misunderstood something in all my research I'm sure you ladies will let me know- and I would appreciate the correction :D 

I think your idea of a support group is neat! It's kind of that transition phase, which I don't necessarily believe is appropriate to post on the military families board since we aren't one yet. I am sure there are many hardships, etc they face without having to hear me whining about figuring out what we will be doing (not saying ANYONE has hinted at this). Thanks for the support ladies... I will keep in touch when we figure out what the heck we are doing

• Loading the player...
  • There is no real time line that anyone can give you.  Enlisting depends on so many factors.  I would suggest talking to a recruiter first.  I say talk with your DH and discuss any concerns you may have.  Also, you have to be honest with yourself.  Will you be able to be away from your DH for 9-18 months with limited contact?  Will you be able to deal with the unknown of where you are going?  

DH is in the Army, and we are going for retirement, which is a minimum of 20 years.  When your DH enlists, he will have a 3-4 year obligation period.  Then, you can decide what to do from there.  What is his background?  It could make a difference into his MOS and whether it will be easier for him to enlist or not.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My DH and I are both Army, and I have to say I think the Army does a great job taking care of its soldiers AND their families. I would discourage Marines because they deploy more frequently than any other banch it seems like, also, the marines can reclass (assign you hubby a new job) as infantry whenever they feel like it. It's all about the needs of "the corps." They are more a lifestyle than a career. Hard to explain... Also MC doesn't let you choose your job before you enter. Army, Air Force, and Navy do. Make sure he picks something that will translate into the civilian world. here's a good website that gives you the civilian equivilent of any military job.

https://www.cool.army.mil/overview.htm

Don't let recruiters make him feel bad about shopping around different branches either, just be honest about it. Good luck to your hubby in this decision!

Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • My husband is USAF and him enlisting was the best thing. The insurance is awesome and e job stability is very nice too. Joining the military is joining one of the biggest families around. I love my military family and what ever base or post you end up at, you should find a lot of support. 

If he does I recommend getting involved with the family support squadron or the family readiness group. It's a wonderful group of volunteers who do what they do because they LOVE helping out their military family.

And OP, every single time you post I want to comment on how incredibly adorable that full head of hair is! Love your siggy. My son is 10 months and still quite the cue ball. 

Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
  • My H is Army and he said if he had the chance to do it again he would go Air Force. He said that the standard of living is much better.
  • Just to chime in with a thought.... my hubby is Navy, and for them deployments typically seem to last 6-9 months instead of a year or so (at least from friends I've known) like the Army or Marines. Not that it doesn't still suck, but I know that compared to other branches, we're lucky!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH is Marines. They seem to get a really bad rap. Their "typical" deployment schedule is 7 months deployed, 14 months home. Their deployments typically are not a year. But sometimes they do get augmented to an Army unit or something else and are gone for a year.  DH has been in for 16 years and has deployed a total of 18 months.

It depends on your MOS, but I know A LOT of guys who have been in for over 5 years and only have deployed 1 time.

Good luck!

• Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here and reply to my posting--

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your advice. We are definitely taking everything into consideration at this point. Unfortunately, I do believe the AF is out because DH is 28. We will be nearing the end of the enlistment period for many of the branches, and I think for AF we are past that point. Obviously we are going to have to make our decision quickly; perhaps moreso than we originally thought. But thanks again and I have relayed all your info to DH to help him out!

• imageRdautenhahn:

And OP, every single time you post I want to comment on how incredibly adorable that full head of hair is! Love your siggy. My son is 10 months and still quite the cue ball. 

Thanks! Your LO is quite adorable as well! Everyone keeps telling me he needs a haircut but I haven't been able to bear it yet! If we can hold out til the fall we will be fine, cuz it will be as warm as a hat for him!

• DH is a Marine.  I am prior-Air Force, now Navy Officer.  We love the military.  It is so worth it.  I highly recommend looking into all the branches.  They all have different things to offer. 

I've loved my time in both the AF and the Navy.  And I love everything about the Marines too.  DH and I will both retire from the military. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Replied to this post and then realized it was old...oops! :)

• The process has changed since the hubs and I enlisted but...consider the Coast Guard. A lot of people don't think of it when they join because we're so different than the other branches (and some don't realize it's a branch of the military at all). It's accepting the lowest % of applicants right now but it's a damn good gig. 
  • My hubby is Navy and we love this life. We may be in a crappy location now, but we live on base, and don't pay a dime. Well, it gets taken from BAH, but we don't pay one utility bill or rent. My kids have excellent benefits as do I, and I know with my hubby's job, he's not going to come home one day and say he got fired. For some people, they don't enjoy their jobs, but he is a Search and Rescue Corpsman and loves every minute of it. In addition he is doing his nursing school pre-req's, so he can go officer, and he is not paying a dime. The military is. Something to think about.

• Right now, joining the military is only going to be a temporary solution. Its not the job stability that it used to be. There are roll backs, control rosters, rank cutoffs, all kinds of things that are making it harder and harder to remain in the military. In my career field, they are forcing cross training or separation for most E-5's, and any new E-6's. If you are in your first enlistment like I am, you either get into a critically manned job or you don't re-enlist. The government is cutting back, hopefully we get a new president soon and more money starts getting dedicated to the troops instead of getting taken away like it is with our current administration. The government got rid of somewhere like 40,000 military jobs. If Dh does join, take advantage of everything and use it as a stepping stone, not a sole solution. Use the school money, make sure he gets a job that can apply in the civilian sector, and have another plan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"