Baby Showers

Shower or no?

Ladies, I am pregnant with my third son. I am having a hard time decide whether or not I should have another baby shower. My first son is now four and when his father and I split he took everything I had for my son. My second son is now two and when we moved out of state, we gave my husbands friend everything for their little boy, not expecting to get pregnant again. Well now here comes baby boy three and I have nothing. I believe I have a box of 0-3 month clothing and some receiving blankets. 

I just feel weird about having another baby shower. I come from a family where you have one per sex and keep everything for hammy downs so I'm not sure what I should do.. Please give me some advice!  Thanks! :) 

Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shower or no?

• KarmBKarmB member
    No shower. Decline any shower. Do not register.

• imageKarmB:

This exactly

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Loading the player...
  • imageholly1416:

imageKarmB:

This exactly

Agreed, except if you want to register for the coupon, I see no problem with that, just don't tell anyone about the registry. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't do another shower.No matter what they say, I just don't think it would be fun for your friends anymore, after having done it for your last 2 kids.
  • Its "hand me down."
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "Hammy downs?"  FFS.

No, you need to buy sh!t for your own kid.  It's not your friends' and relatives' responsibility to outfit him.

And were you planning on throwing this for yourself?  That's just begging for charity. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • no shower. it is not your friends prob that you have nothing.  Buy your own stuff.  It is not like your first 2 kids are way older then this baby.  I am sure some friends will buy you something on their own but  should not be asked to by being invited to another shower.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Ummm...yes, you should feel weird about having another shower since your  youngest is only 2.  Who in the heck would you invite if your family thinks that showers are only given if there are different gender babies.  Since your's are all boys they most likely won't offer you a shower and probably wouldn't come if invited to one. 

Not a smart idea to give all your stuff away if yout DS was only 2 (or less).  Things happen (like unexpected pregnancies).  It is time to start buying what you need for the new addition...check out Moms to Moms sales, resale shops, garage sales, GoodWill, Salvation Army and hit up your friends for hand me downs

If someone offers to throw you a shower make it very small.  People will get you mostly diapers and clothes.  They are not going to get you items like bounce seats, high chairs, carseat, baby swings, etc. because they are too costly. 

Not sure if you are thinking of hosting your own shower but if so - that is the height of tackiness.  Don't do it!!

• eav2ceav2c member

Oh sh!t. Thanks for the laugh..."hammy downs." 

Shower--fluck no. Not acceptable by any stretch. Go ahead and register though for the completion coupon, IMO. You could even make it private.

But seriously--"hammy downs."

Dying. 

• imagecwm11985:
    Its "hand me down."

Thank you for handling that for the rest of us. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt that "hand me downs" autocorrected to "Hammy downs"  (which is awesome). 

However, no shower.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imagerhubarb123:

Ummm...yes, you should feel weird about having another shower since your  youngest is only 2.  Who in the heck would you invite if your family thinks that showers are only given if there are different gender babies.  Since your's are all boys they most likely won't offer you a shower and probably wouldn't come if invited to one. 

Not a smart idea to give all your stuff away if yout DS was only 2 (or less).  Things happen (like unexpected pregnancies).  It is time to start buying what you need for the new addition...check out Moms to Moms sales, resale shops, garage sales, GoodWill, Salvation Army and hit up your friends for hand me downs

If someone offers to throw you a shower make it very small.  People will get you mostly diapers and clothes.  They are not going to get you items like bounce seats, high chairs, carseat, baby swings, etc. because they are too costly. 

Not sure if you are thinking of hosting your own shower but if so - that is the height of tackiness.  Don't do it!!

All of this.  Except I would probably decline a shower if offered.  

Also, hammy downs?  Hilarious.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow! I didn't think it mattered how I spelt it. I wasn't asking for people to just hand me things. Jeez you guys make me out like I'm a bad person... lol. 

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on having one anyways.  

• imageBallSox:

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt that "hand me downs" autocorrected to "Hammy downs"  (which is awesome). 

However, no shower.  

Unfortunately, no auto correct.  WOW.

• imageddailey0689:

Wow! I didn't think it mattered how I spelt it. I wasn't asking for people to just hand me things. Jeez you guys make me out like I'm a bad person... lol. 

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on having one anyways.  

It only matters if you like to spell things correctly.  If that doesn't concern you, then no, it doesn't matter.

• Wow I am very shocked at the nasty attitudes of the mothers on this board. I am pregnant with my 4th child, my youngest being 3 and I am having another shower. Im not doing it so I can get gifts I am doing it so that my family and friends can celebrate the new life that is coming in to this world. I am not throwing it for myself BUT if someone wasn't throwing one for me I would throw it. I am not registering for major things but I will most likely register for the smaller things that I need. Oh and I am not poor. When a friend has a birthday dont you get them a card of a gift??? Why wouldnt you buy your friends baby a gift in celebration???  I have friends that have more than one child and they just had or plan on having more babies and I am going to all of their showers not because they want gifts but because they are my friends and I love them.

I guess all of the women that responded have family and friends that dont care about their new children and 1st babies are the only ones that deserve celebration. This really makes me sad that people would talk to another mother the way these women have talked to you ddailey0689. I have been on 3 message boards with my other kids and I NEVER have seen such rude people in my life. I will not be staying around here. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

• imageAjaAcnr:

Wow I am very shocked at the nasty attitudes of the mothers on this board. I am pregnant with my 4th child, my youngest being 3 and I am having another shower. Im not doing it so I can get gifts I am doing it so that my family and friends can celebrate the new life that is coming in to this world. I am not throwing it for myself BUT if someone wasn't throwing one for me I would throw it. I am not registering for major things but I will most likely register for the smaller things that I need. Oh and I am not poor. When a friend has a birthday dont you get them a card of a gift??? Why wouldnt you buy your friends baby a gift in celebration???  I have friends that have more than one child and they just had or plan on having more babies and I am going to all of their showers not because they want gifts but because they are my friends and I love them.

I guess all of the women that responded have family and friends that dont care about their new children and 1st babies are the only ones that deserve celebration. This really makes me sad that people would talk to another mother the way these women have talked to you ddailey0689. I have been on 3 message boards with my other kids and I NEVER have seen such rude people in my life. I will not be staying around here. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Hahaha.  Yeah, this is NOT the place for you.  You'd be much better off at babygaga.com or some such.  You know, Puppies and Rainbows Lane.

People who throw their own showers and register for their FOURTH kid should REALLY be ashamed of themselves. 

• I see no problem having a diaper shower, since you know for sure you need those and they can get expensive.  I'm also pregnant with my third, a girl this time, so I will have a shower for her, but if I was having another boy, I know my mom would be throwing me a diaper shower.  And you never know, since you have moved and have new neighbors, you might have one or two willing to throw a basic necessities shower.
  • It's amazing that two people with one post only think having a shower for baby 3+ is a great idea.  This is a complete coincidence.

Also, do you think these boots were hammy downs?

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's not about puppies and rainbows it's about respect for another human being. There was no reason for people to be so nasty to this woman. People post questions on here for opinions not to be attacked and made fun of and she still tried to take your comments nicely. There is nothing wrong with family and friends celebrating a new life. 
  • imagecamilleluke:
    I see no problem having a diaper shower, since you know for sure you need those and they can get expensive.  I'm also pregnant with my third, a girl this time, so I will have a shower for her, but if I was having another boy, I know my mom would be throwing me a diaper shower.  And you never know, since you have moved and have new neighbors, you might have one or two willing to throw a basic necessities shower.

yes, because that's the way to make new friends.

Hi, I know I just met you but can you throw me a party?!

• Sorry, I refuse to pretend that throwing yourself a shower, let alone one for #2, #3, #4, etc, is a good idea. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imagephq2011:
    imageholly1416:

imageKarmB:

This exactly

Agreed, except if you want to register for the coupon, I see no problem with that, just don't tell anyone about the registry. 

This. You can make a registery and keep it private to get the coupons.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imageAjaAcnr:

Wow I am very shocked at the nasty attitudes of the mothers on this board. I am pregnant with my 4th child, my youngest being 3 and I am having another shower. Im not doing it so I can get gifts I am doing it so that my family and friends can celebrate the new life that is coming in to this world. I am not throwing it for myself BUT if someone wasn't throwing one for me I would throw it. I am not registering for major things but I will most likely register for the smaller things that I need. Oh and I am not poor. When a friend has a birthday dont you get them a card of a gift??? Why wouldnt you buy your friends baby a gift in celebration???  I have friends that have more than one child and they just had or plan on having more babies and I am going to all of their showers not because they want gifts but because they are my friends and I love them.

Do you register for your birthday? Ask people to bring you "50 Shades of Grey" instead of a card?  

• imageAjaAcnr:

I know it may be shocking to you, but I have purchased gifts for babies without having been invited to a shower. You can and all of the friends and family who love your new child(ren) can too.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • For the love of all things holy, please ladies.... if you learn nothing from this board, please take this one item of advice with you.

BABY SHOWERS ARE NOT FOR BABIES. THEY ARE FOR FIRST TIME MOTHERS - TO SHOWER HER WITH GIFTS AND WELCOME HER TO MOTHER HOOD.

You can only welcome someone to motherhood once. After that, she is already a mother.

You can and should celebrate all babies, but not with a shower. Do you know why?

BECAUSE THE BABY SHOUDL BE AT THE CELEBRATION!

Thank you, that is all.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Thank you :) I appreciate it. I kind of felt attacked. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"