Pre-School and Daycare
Options

DS had a febrile seizure yesterday, anyone w/experience?

DS woke up yesterday said he didn't feel well and he had fever of 101.Dh and I had to go to work so I called sitter and she came over.At about 3:30 sitter called me in a panic that DS was not moving.I told her to call 911 and I got in my car and rushed to home. AbsoluteScariest moment ever because I had no idea if he was even breathing. About 5 min laterI called her and paramedics were there and they said he had a seizure. Thank godHe was talking. I met ambulance at the hospital and once he got there they finally wereAble to bring his fever down. Ran some tests and basically it's just a virus.ER dr told me these seizures are very common and they outgrow them by 5.Last night we had DS sleep in our bed and I don't think I slept as I was constantly checking onHim.So of course now I'm totally paranoid it's going to happen again.If your LO had this, have they had reoccurrence?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DS had a febrile seizure yesterday, anyone w/experience?

• Options
    Oh wow - how scary!! I don't have any experience so I'm just sending "get well" wishes your way and hoping someone will answer the question.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A co-worker's daughter had them. I think she has had a few seizures but then out grew them and is totally fine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow! How scary. A little boy (prob around 2), had one while in my Mom's care. We are going back 18 years or so. His was caused by spiking a high fever. From what I remember, it was a one time occurrence. Here are some facts about them-

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/febrile_seizures/detail_febrile_seizures.htm 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    My son had one when he was 1 and it was SUPER scary! We had a similar experience too. I took his temp, it was 100.3 so I put him to bed and ran to the store while my husband stayed home with him. About 20 min later I was paged over the intercom (I didn't have a cell, I do now because of this) my husband told me our son was sick and needed to go to the hospital, to hurry home. I guess in the 15 min since I left, his temp jumped to 103.7 causing him to seize. He called 911 and they were able to wake him up by dunking him in luke warm bath water. The paramedics said he was ok but to head to the hospital to run some tests just in case. The hospital cleared him and we transferred to our regular dr for more info. He was later diagnosed with roseola (a super common virus that causes a high fever followed by a rash) and fever spikes are common with this particular virus. They said the risk was highest while he still had it so we followed a strict tylenol routine to keep his temp down and he was back to normal in just a few days. I didn't sleep either as I was haunted by the what if fears (what if he seizes in his sleep, etc). He never did it again and they told me the same thing that they are no longer a risk after 5, only 1.5 years left! He is now 3.5 and has been very healthy, no seizures, fainting, etc. Just as a precaution we start him on Tylenol for anything over 100 degrees but that is more to ease our anxiety. I hope this helps in some way, I've been there and it is not fun to live with that fear. 
  • Options

my neighbor's little boy just turned 5.  He's had two or three seizures, which wound him up at a pediatric neurologist. (just because they kept randomly occurring over the past few years.)  nothing was found, but he had to do lots of testing, including a few different times when he had to be kept up all night.  then they gave him precautionary medicine that was very expensive for about the last year.  he is now 5, was re-evaluated, still everything looks normal and he is off the medicine.  of course his parents are super paranoid and always careful, but he's otherwise always been fine.  it was always freak occurrences when he seized (it's so was so scary for us to see an ambulance at their house across the street!)... and what you explained is what they were told too - it just happens sometimes with kids.  who knows if all that medical intervention was even necessary in his case - but obviously nobody wants to take a chance.

i'm SO sorry you went through this.  how unbelievably scary.  I'm so glad he is ok.

(and to the other poster - my DD had roseola at 8 mos and it was so scary.  her fever got to nearly 104 and i was in a lukewarm bathtub holding her, giving her motrin and nursing her for fluids... it was horrible.  we were on the phone with the pedi constantly, and narrowly avoided an ER visit. i guess it could've been worse if she'd had a seizure, but that's a miserable illness. and you dont even know what it is till the spots show up a few days later...ugh)

• Options
    Yes, my LO has had two. One at about 10 months and one a month ago. Good thing is that they are pretty harmless, bad thing is they are scary as hell.  I had a couple when I was a baby and a few family members have, runs in our family so I knew it could happen. I am quick on the Motrin now with any kind of fever, but nothing else we can really do. I was with him both times and am now at least prepared for it to happen. You should know what to do if it happens again...lay LO down on the floor on their side, make sure nothing is in their mouth and let it happen. It is common for them to vomit during the seizure.  Both times my son had ear infections and fever spiked too quickly for his body to handle.  I feel for you, they are harder on parents than kids, hang in there! 
  • Options

My son has had 2.  His first was at 10 months old, when his fever spiked.  He was being babysat by my brother and SIL and they immediately called 911.  

His second was from a reaction (fever spike) from the flu shot at 12 months.

We keep tylenol and advil on hand and are vigilant about giving it to him to keep his fevers down.  We even keep tylenol in storage at his daycare and they have strict instructions to give it to him if he develops a fever at daycare.

we've been told that it's possibly hereditary, and kids that have them have a higher rate of having another.

It's scary as hell.  But, keeping on top of fevers from now on should keep them at bay. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

my son has had 3, including 1 at daycare during yoga where they called the paramedics. that was the worst, and he was seizing for almost 10 minutes and was JUST regaining consciousness when i got there over 30 minutes later.

i had them when i was a kid, so i was sort of expecting him to get them, but it's so scary. it's been over a year since he had that last one (5/11), so i'm very hopeful we're done with them. i'm also hoping DD doesn't get them, but they're said to be genetic. also, a common misconception is that they're related to the degree of fever. they're actually related to the rate of rise, and when the paramedics took DS's temp during his last one, it was not even up to 100 yet.

they're not really a big deal for the kids, other than being scary (we don't even call the doctor for them, since we already know what we're dealing with). no permanent damage is done, but i know how freaked out you must be. it's just as likely than not that he will have another one, but at least this time you'd know what's wrong. and yes, he will most likely outgrow them. good luck, hope he feels better soon!

• Options
    akayfakayf member

DS1 has had them several times.   The first time was when he was 2.5....July 2010   He had 3 in the span of a few  hours.    First one was at the house we were staying at(we were visiting family from out of state).   The 2nd one was almost an hour later at the little country clinic/ER in town.    We had to be transported to the hospital over an hour away.    He had the 3rd one about an hour after we got to the hospital as they were moving him to the peds unit for observation.

There is a history of them in my family plus we already knew he had an ear infection and had been on meds for 2 days.   They wound up doing an EEG just to be on the safe side since we had to fly home once he got better.  

He had another one in Dec 2010.   He was sick the night before...up all night throwing up.   We went the hosptial and were under observation in the peds ER for a few hours.

He had another one in June 2011.   His temp was only 99.9 so they admitted him over night.   He spiked a fever a couple hours later.    The neurologist still considered it a febrile seizure.  

Then he had another one in Oct 2011.   No fever again until a few hours later.  

He has been sick 2 times with a fever since his last episode and hasn't had a seizure.   He doesn't have to see the neuro until after his 5th birthday and if he remains seizure free, she will discharge him from her service.  

We do have meds to give him in case he has a seizure that lasts longer than 5 minutes.   We've never had to use it.   

• Options
    imagekateland3:

also, a common misconception is that they're related to the degree of fever. they're actually related to the rate of rise, and when the paramedics took DS's temp during his last one, it was not even up to 100 yet.

It so reassuring to read this.  My daughter had what the doctor believes was a febrile seizure at daycare two days ago.  She had a fever, but it was only 100.8 when I took her temperature about an hour after the seizure.  I am so worried that the seizure was caused by something else.  Our doctor recommended a follow up EEG in a few weeks to rule out any other causes, so I'll be nervous until then.  I'm happy that I stumbled upon this thread, it's reassuring to hear other people's experience with this.   

• Options

I am really glad that your son is okay.

I know that for you it will take awhile to feel calm/relaxed.

My son had a febrile seizure when he was 2 and a half, about a month before I had DD. I never knew he had a fever. He was fine all day and was playing a game on the couch with my mom. He suddenly looked up and when I asked him what he was looking at I saw his eyes were rolled back and there was saliva coming from his mouth. I grabbed him and felt him shaking and noticed he had peed in his pants. 

The scariest part was how long it took for him to "come to". He was awake but not there. 

We called 911, took a ride in the ambulance, and the doctors were all very casual about everything. I had never heard of a febrile seizure and was freaking out. It was the worst moment ever and I still get anxious just to write about it.

DS has never had another seizure, but his cousin did just this past fall (they say they run in families). We are quick to give DS Tylenol if he feels warm. 

So sorry this happened to your LO. Hugs to you Mama!

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Last note... I agree with pp... these are SO  much harder on us as parents! My son never remembered the ambulance which surprised me. He was 2.5 and into trucks but still to this day has no clue that one was at our house and he rode in it. Glad that he want affected by this, and sad that he was so out of it.

Hugs to ALL you Mamas!

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"