Natural Birth
Options

Does this really happen?

I am early in my PG (7.5 weeks) but have always thought I would want a natural birth. My MIL is scaring the sh#* out of me and insisting on a c-section.. She said she had to have 6 reconstructive surgeries to recover and almost died.. She also told me that everyone who has a natural birth will ALWAYS be incontinent. I havn't researched this yet as much as I would like, and I will research it more. I was just hoping for some reasurance from you ladies :) TIA

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Does this really happen?

• Options

You need to shut this woman down. Now. Just tell her you can't have this conversation. I do not need details about my mother-in-law's vagina.

No, her experience isn't normal. Yes, it could have happened. It probably happened with some pretty extreme circumstances. That again, I don't actually want to know about my mother in law's vagina.

No, every woman that has a natural birth is not incontinent. 

• Options
    C-sections are a lot harder to recover from then natural/vaginal birth. Yes things happen but women having babies naturally for thousands of years. Stick with your gut and tell her you don't appreciate the negative comments. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had an unmedicated vaginal birth am not incontinent. I was pretty...uh....leaky during pregnancy but I hear that's normal. It went away pretty much right after the birth.

This is the time in your life where you need some serious support. I don't know about hypnobirthing but I did Hypnobabies and they teach you early on to establish your "bubble of peace" that gives you the courage to stop listening to stories like this. For some weird reason women always want to share their worst horror stories with pregnant women. I will never understand it. Try your best to block out all of that negativity. It will not help you.

FWIW, I will do an unmedicated vaginal birth again with my next one (God willing). I had quite a bit of tearing and although that sounds bad but it wasn't. It just took me a little bit longer to feel in tip top shape. I hear recovering from a C Section is much worse.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've had three and I don't have incontinence issues and sex feels better than ever.  You need to buy this woman a book about birth.   It sounds like her very extreme anecdotal experience is causing her to think irrationally. 

• Options
    WHAT?! I'm sorry, but that's an insane amount of misinformation. Pretty much every part of it is inaccurate. Read "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer, and "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and "Birth Matters" by Ina May Gaskin. Also, you can use the CDC, WHO, and many other government organizations for research. That's what I did with my DH, who wanted a highly technical birth (which scares the crap out of me). There's a ton of information out there, so do the world a favor and shut her down before she scares some poor woman into endangering herself and her child for no reason.
  • Options
    What a joke!  As a PP said, please shut her down next time she starts to go off.  I cannot stand when people make blanket statements based on their one experience!  I know a lot of people who have had vaginal deliveries and not a single one had to have a reconstructive surgery.  And no, you will will not surely be incontinent.  Yes, it is possible and I do not know the stats but I would be willing to bet that it is pretty low probability.  Now sneezing and coughing and not being able to hold it ALL in every time...that is another story.  I recommend reading Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth to reassure yourself that you can do natural childbirth.
  • Options
    I just had my 3rd vaginal, un-medicated birth and no incontinence for me, also mininmal tearing and rapid recovery :-)  It is HARD to push a baby  out, the hardest work you will ever do, but it is SOOOO rewarding, when you deliver a baby naturally you get the biggest and best rush you will ever experience.  My first words out of my mouth after this birth were "I want another baby"
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Run far far away from this woman!! Yikes.  I would simply tell her that a CS is only an option in an emergency and that you're uncomfortable sharing anything more than that. I had to call my Mil and tell her to stop asking questions bc it was making me uncomfortable. It was easier over the phone than in person for me. 

Ps- I have had zero incontinence issues.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options

She's right.  Major surgery is a way better idea than a natural birth Indifferent

Seriously, though, the fear of peeing a little when you sneeze (which I still do on occasion - big deal) isn't worth the risk of surgery.  I wouldn't change anything (except maybe doing more kegels) and hope to never experience a c-section.  GL dealing with her.  She sounds fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Oh please, she's insane.

I had natural childbirth (well, pitocin induced but other than that...), no pain meds, no c-section, no epidural, no episiotomy. 

I required 1 (1!) stitch. 

I am not incontinent, I had almost no pain from healing,  DH states that now that I'm healed up there is no uhm... tightness difference. ahem.

If that were true about all women who have natural birth being incontinent always, then every woman was incontinent always up until.. what, the early 1900's? Does that make any sort of sense to you?

She may or may not have had a terrible experience herself. Natural childbirth LIKE EVERY OTHER CHILDBIRTH including c-sections, comes with risks. The risks are very, vanishingly slight. 

Do not listen to her.

• Options

The incidence of complications is statistically higher with c-sections.  *Temporary* (note--resolves without intervention) incontinence is the only complication that is higher for vaginal delivery (again, *temporary* that resolves with mom doing Kegels or whatnot, not requiring surgery).  And it's still not even close to every woman.

It sounds like your MIL had a horrible experience, but every birth situation is going to have a few horrible experiences.  And do you think (or at least hope) that maternity care has improved in the last 30 years?   Don't even pay attention to horror stories that aren't recent--many of the practices that they talk about are outdated.

Tell her that you're not comfortable talking about her hoo-ha and move on to discussing the weather or the Olympics or something :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes, your MIL is incorrect and probably a little bit crazy. And her experience was incredibly uncommon.

I've had 3 natural (ie. unmedicated) vaginal births now and have zero incontinence issues. Sex is also better than it was before. My births were all great experiences with quick healing, and my LOs ranged from 7lb 15 oz to 9lb 7oz. 

And you can tell her that pelvic floor weakness and mild incontinence (during pregnancy and healing), which certainly do occur, are not uncommon for unmedicated births, medicated vaginal births, AND c-sections. It's not always the birthing that causes problems so much as it is the 9 months of growing weight and pressure on the pelvic floor, which we all experience regardless of how we birth. 

Do lots of research for the birth YOU want, feel confident in your decisions, and tell her the conversation is not up for discussion (and after dealing with my own in-law issues re:natural birth, I can assure you that discussion/arguments about it are never worth it). 

Good luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pregnancy itself actually has a lot more to do with weakening pelvic muscles than giving birth. Kegels are your friend no matter how you deliver.
  • Options

Depending on how old your MIL is, it's highly likely she was put into a twilight sleep for her delivery, which would have necessitated a lot of medication and probably the use of forceps or vaccum, which would have necessitated an episiotomy. It sucks that she had such a horrible experience, but seriously...she needs to hush. Definitely read the books that pp's mentioned. I wouldn't discuss this with her anymore, because she is more than likely not going to support your decision. Take birth classes so that you are really prepared.

As for myself, no issues with incontinence. My sister who had an emergency c-section? She hopes to VBAC far away from a hospital next time.

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I am not incontinent and I haven't had any lingering issues from my natural birth.  I didn't even need stitches, to say nothing of reconstructive surgery.  Yes, sometimes vaginal births go badly, but so can c/s.  In fact a woman is three times more likely to die from childbirth if she has a c/s than a vaginal delivery.  You MIL is projecting her own experience onto you and she's being irrational.  You may need to tell her you aren't going to discuss it with her anymore.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think I even snissed when I was pregnant, and I have had zero incontinence issues. Your MIL is a twat. I agree with previous posters, and honestly, I would be more worried about side effects after a c-section than vaginal birth. Your body was made to be able to give birth.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

tell her to SHUT It.. its not the DINOSAUR AGE.. and VAG birth is wayy  easier to recover from.. besides if you dont need a C Section go Vag Birth in my perspective safer,, of course unless medically necessary.. my MIL says elective(esthetically reasoned) CSections are for sissies.. lol shes hillarious

Best of Luck

• Options
    Wow...I can't even believe she is telling you that. My sister had 2 natural childbirths and I just experienced my first. Neither of us suffers from incontinence. I did tear a bit so had to have stitches but that was it. While I was pregnant I would leak a little when I sneezed but I don't have that problem anymore. Practice your Kegel exercises and you should be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I do have a little stress incontinence...usually pee a little when I go extra hard for a ball at soccer or if running long distances.

It does suck a little...been dealing with it for two years after the birth of my first. It's not terrible, and no worse after my second. I don't feel I need reconstructive surgery at this time, but I do have to wear a little pad when I exercise now. Such is life. It's not anything to be afraid of...and will likely happen to all of us when we get old anyways. :P 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Your MIL may have had a bad experience, but she's full of it!! Do NOT listen to her advice. Do your own research, and politely tell her that you would appreciate not hearing about her experience anymore because it adds stress that you do not want right now. If she can't understand that, it's time to do some avoidance.

ETA: Is your MIL the picture of fitness, in your opinion? I have physical therapy background, and I can tell you that women with very poor pelvic floor tone (that's what those kegel exercises help with..) can have incontinence whether or not they have ever given birth, and even have their uterus come inside-out through their vagina. Oh yes. It's all possible. But I can tell you, if this happened to everyone, you'd know about it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    She's full of $hit. Although some women do have negative experiences with natural birth, women have bad experiences with c-sections, too- and natural birth does NOT lead to incontinence the vast majority of the time. I had a natural birth and not a single moment of incontinence. No tearing either.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of her mouth. I hate when people go out of their ways to scare women about the "dangers" of NB....

You can have a NB without needing surgery. You (obviously) cannot have a c-section without going through surgery. She makes no sense. 

And by natural, you're meaning vaginally or med-free? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"