Parenting after 35
Options

Who put their toddler on a leash?

You know how there are things you said you would omgosh NEVER do as a parent? Well, now that Tristan is getting bigger and walking everywhere I'm looking at leashes. We live in a big city with big crowds and now that he can walk everywhere, well, you know. Stubborn.

Don't flame me, I'm sensitive. 

Re: Who put their toddler on a leash?

• Options
    I did.  My son is really fast if he runs away from me.  And I needed a way to control him and make sure that he stays near me when I am walking somewhere with him, and I do not have the stroller.  Our inlaws got us a Monkey leash from Walmart, and most people thinks it looks really cute.  
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options

My first reaction to anyone who put their child on a leash is "why bother bring the kid out if you cant control them" but now that I learning that these kids do whatever they want despite your best efforts to steer them otherwise I say to each their own. If you want to put your child on a leash then do so and dont worry about what people like me say... we will all have our day lol!!

But I would try to find another word to call it besides "leash" - that makes me thing of animals and I know your sweetness is not a puppy ;-)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    mwdmwd member

We're going to our state fair on Monday, and you bet the Monkey leash is going with us.  DD is very stubborn about listening, and will just keep walking.  It's the only way I'd bring her, with all of the crowds.  This way she gets to walk instead of riding in the  stroller ALL day.  It's funny, I bought for DS, and we never had to use it.   DD is just a very different child.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have two, you can have the blue one!! The other is like the monkey, just a frickin sparkly unicorm. They don't work for us, either the girls use it to play "dog", or when S actually uses it, she just lays on the floor. I just harness her in the stroller if we're out and she can't/shouldn't be walking or running around. She will hold hands just fine though.

• Options
    imagegimmietimmies:

We have two, you can have the blue one!! The other is like the monkey, just a frickin sparkly unicorm. They don't work for us, either the girls use it to play "dog", or when S actually uses it, she just lays on the floor. I just harness her in the stroller if we're out and she can't/shouldn't be walking or running around. She will hold hands just fine though.

Seriously? That would be fantastic! I've been looking at a lion that duos as a backpack right now. Do y'all think that having a cute, stuffie one helps? Maybe not in your case (LOL to the playing "dog")...but if you're willing to send me the blue one at least I can try this whole leashing thing out first. Let me know if you want shipping or whatever :) (PS can't beLIEVE they won't wear a sparkly unicorn - hello!)

Here's the one I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bug-53876-Buddy-Harness/dp/B001AXF5EC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344112743&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+harness

Thoughts? He doesn't like stuffed animals to play with so I don't think he'll care about playing with it. So if the blue works out, maybe we'll go for the roar.

It's really crowded here. He's never been in a stroller - I EBW because it's way easier, but the time is coming (or here) that he's going to want to sit on the bus on his own or, just a lot of things. 

• Options
    I'd rather see a toddler on a leash than running into the street or getting lost in a crowd.  Do what you need to keep your LO safe and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I did.

My daughter is on the autism spectrum and used to be a high flight risk.  Personally, I felt allowing her a semblance of independence while maintaining her safety far outweighed the occasional side-eye and comments.  

• Options
    I totally did!  I will say it worked great for DD, less so for DS (who would sit and pitch a fit about it).  Here's the thing:  I didn't care what people thought.  I was keeping my kid safe.  Period.  People who judged could eff themselves.  At least I had a healthy, safe kid at the end of the outing.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

You all (+ the preemie moms) sold me on the lion. Until he can walk in a straight line and heel at curbs I think I need all the help I can get. This is Philly.

Thanks, ladies :)

Oh, and FTR, I probably wouldn't call it a leash - I'll just tell him it's time to put his lion on. Not that it matters, but PP seemed concerned about terminology.  

• Options
    imageurbanflowerpot:
    imagegimmietimmies:

Seriously? That would be fantastic! I've been looking at a lion that duos as a backpack right now. Do y'all think that having a cute, stuffie one helps? Maybe not in your case (LOL to the playing "dog")...but if you're willing to send me the blue one at least I can try this whole leashing thing out first. Let me know if you want shipping or whatever :) (PS can't beLIEVE they won't wear a sparkly unicorn - hello!)

Here's the one I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bug-53876-Buddy-Harness/dp/B001AXF5EC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344112743&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+harness

Thoughts? He doesn't like stuffed animals to play with so I don't think he'll care about playing with it. So if the blue works out, maybe we'll go for the roar.

It's really crowded here. He's never been in a stroller - I EBW because it's way easier, but the time is coming (or here) that he's going to want to sit on the bus on his own or, just a lot of things. 

I used to BW a lot, but dd4 is too heavy, also hard with them going in ten directions. It did work weel with L though, I was an odd duck (compared to what was normal 16 years ago), I BW, EBFed, CDed, co-slept, and was a young mom. People thought I was nuts. LOL, that lion is the "same" as the sparkly unicorn.

Yeah, I'd totally mail you out the blue one. Looks similar to the pic below, soft though on the waist belt, it's a Kiddopotamus that we've had since ds (you can't tell, it's spotless), not recalled or broken.

Toddler Harness

• Options

And.....this is the sparkly unicorn thing. They added the sparkles. I've tried to get them to get rid, but it keeps turning up:

• Options

I really should, but am just too lazy to go search one out.  Charles makes it a game to run away from me and not look back.   Drives me nuts.   With some kids, it's just what you need to do.

FWIW, my friend has a monkey or dog backpack they call Hal... short for halter.  She wears it everywhere.   Now, in my opinion, they kind of go overboard in using it... even in situations when it's not crowded or anything.   It does have a detactable leash strap, which is nice when it's not necessary and she can just wear the backpack.   I think they got it at Target.

• Options

I was one of those moms would couldn't understand the harness until I had an incident where my "perfect son" almost ran into a NYC street.  We walked home every day and he was so good at listening.  Then one day a pigeon (not even a nice bird) was in the street and he wanted to see it.  I looked down at my stroller for a split second to adjust something and that was all it took.  He was so far ahead of me that there was no way to catch him.  I dropped everything and ran as fast as I could (and my pocketbook was still there when I got back!).  A woman ahead of me turned and grabbed him just as he was stepping off the sidewalk.  I am a vigilant mom.  I watch my kids - it didn't matter.  It only took a split second one time to scare me half to death.  I was converted to the harness and he wore it all the time. 

We started with the blue one but we got a teddy bear one.  I couldn't get the blue one to fit properly and I felt like I was pulling on his chest.  The teddy bear (or monkey one) slides on like a backpack and it feels safer to me and more comfortable for my kids (now just my daughter wears it).  My daughter demands to wear it even when I don't think she needs it - she is so proud of it - she says "my bear, mine, mine" when people make a comment about it.  It gives me peace of mind and her the freedom she wants as a toddler.

If people make a rude comment about it, ignore them and think of our story.  Most reactions are positive when they see it and many people ask where we got it (buy buy baby).  My kids are safe and that's all I care about.

In these pics (in a kid museum), my daughter wanted to wear it so we took the leash part off and she has just the backpack

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    Monkey backpack = awesome
  • Options

Saturday State Fair+18 month old twins who hate the stroller= a pair of monkey harnesses and maybe a third one for my 3 year old who likes to wander.

No flames here. 

• Options
    imageJillAly:

I was one of those moms would couldn't understand the harness until I had an incident where my "perfect son" almost ran into a NYC street.  We walked home every day and he was so good at listening.  Then one day a pigeon (not even a nice bird) was in the street and he wanted to see it.  I looked down at my stroller for a split second to adjust something and that was all it took.  He was so far ahead of me that there was no way to catch him.  I dropped everything and ran as fast as I could (and my pocketbook was still there when I got back!).  A woman ahead of me turned and grabbed him just as he was stepping off the sidewalk.  I am a vigilant mom.  I watch my kids - it didn't matter.  It only took a split second one time to scare me half to death.  I was converted to the harness and he wore it all the time. 

We started with the blue one but we got a teddy bear one.  I couldn't get the blue one to fit properly and I felt like I was pulling on his chest.  The teddy bear (or monkey one) slides on like a backpack and it feels safer to me and more comfortable for my kids (now just my daughter wears it).  My daughter demands to wear it even when I don't think she needs it - she is so proud of it - she says "my bear, mine, mine" when people make a comment about it.  It gives me peace of mind and her the freedom she wants as a toddler.

If people make a rude comment about it, ignore them and think of our story.  Most reactions are positive when they see it and many people ask where we got it (buy buy baby).  My kids are safe and that's all I care about.

In these pics (in a kid museum), my daughter wanted to wear it so we took the leash part off and she has just the backpack

That is terrifying - and my biggest fear especially living in a big, crazy city. I'm so glad she was OK and she rocks that backpack!

• Options
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imageurbanflowerpot:
    imagegimmietimmies:

I used to BW a lot, but dd4 is too heavy, also hard with them going in ten directions. It did work weel with L though, I was an odd duck (compared to what was normal 16 years ago), I BW, EBFed, CDed, co-slept, and was a young mom. People thought I was nuts. LOL, that lion is the "same" as the sparkly unicorn.

Yeah, I'd totally mail you out the blue one. Looks similar to the pic below, soft though on the waist belt, it's a Kiddopotamus that we've had since ds (you can't tell, it's spotless), not recalled or broken.

Toddler Harness

I ordered the lion the same day I made this post! So thank you very much for the offer - I wish to all heck I could take the unicorn off your hands. I'll wear it (KIDDING!maybe). I used to rant about parents who put their kids on leashes so I just needed a few people telling me I wasn't nuts and that opinions can change when you have your own children.  

I'll definitely post a picture of him sporting it when it comes. We're going to the aquarium in a couple weeks so I think that'll be its big debut! 

• Options

There's a great episode of modern family that deals with this issue, their in disneyland and their little girl is on a leash and one of the fathers is totally indignant about it. Then after 4 hours of chasing her around, keeping her from following winnie the pooh into his locker, he puts it back on.

So go for it if it makes you feel safer, and saves you some sanity.

imageimageimage
    weddingcountdown.com Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it depends on the child. I used to be so against it until my niece was born. My daughter was latched to my side and would only walk off if my parents were there. My niece would just take off running. Suddenly, it seemed less like a leash and more like a way to keep my child from disappearing. There are some bad people out there. They scare me more than a car.
  • Options
    I was never against the idea of a leash and bought one, a monkey backpack.  However, because I had it and was prepared, I never had to use it.  My DS was always good about staying with me and making sure he knew where I was.  Even at age 5, he makes sure he knows where I am at all times.  It's his (anxious) personality.
  • Options

imageFyreFlyeRush:
    I think it depends on the child. I used to be so against it until my niece was born. My daughter was latched to my side and would only walk off if my parents were there. My niece would just take off running. Suddenly, it seemed less like a leash and more like a way to keep my child from disappearing. There are some bad people out there. They scare me more than a car.

There's that, too...so easy to grab in crowds.

Anyway, thanks everyone! I totally got it and I'll post a picture! :) 

• Options

I didn't but I probably should have.  Both my kids were runners.  I lost each of them a few times for more than a few minutes between walking and turning 3.

I wouldn't judge.  If you feel a tether will make everyone safer and you less stressed, go for it.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"