Two Under 2
Options

Im not crazy.... Right?!?

So, DH and I love any kind of traveling. We typically cruise once a year if not more. We havent done much of anything since DS was born in September. We will be having our second DS at the end of August.  We are strongly considering a cruise with the boys in March 2013. DS1 will be 1y5m and DS2 will be 6m.

Has anyone done this, or similar? What are your thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Im not crazy.... Right?!?

• Options
    I would have never in a million years wanted to do that at those ages. We had a family vacation planned when my kids were roughly 1.5/6 months, we had to cancel since DH switched jobs and didn't have vacation time and I have to say I was secretly thrilled. Traveling with two babies sounds like no fun, especially with two babies in a boat. If one (or both) of them got motion sickness from the boat it would be miserable. The rooms are so small and one of them would have to be in some sort of pack n play. When I think of the typical cruise activities, none of them sound enjoyable with an infant/young toddler in tow. When they're 3 and 2, maybe it would be fun, but I wouldn't do it before then personally.
  • Options
    I think it would be SO much work that it wouldn't be relaxing.  I'd wait until they were a bit older, even a year would make a difference.  Could you and DH go alone and leave the kids with someone?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lkf041lkf041 member
    Traveling with babies = not fun.  I'd wait and revisit the idea once you actually have 2 kids.  Things change and you might regret booking that now.
    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I have never been on a cruise but this does not sound like a good idea to me.  We took our DD on a family vacation to the beach last summer and will be taking both kids next week.  Last year we had a lot of fun, but it was obviously more challenging with a baby.  She did not sleep very much the whole week.  She was so excited the whole time that she would barely nap at all unless I laid in bed with her.  And nighttime sleep was also challenging with all of us in one bedroom b/c we all kept waking each other up.  I am even more nervous about how it will go this year with 4 of us in one room. 

We go on vacation with my IL's and DH's siblings' families.  This is nice b/c there are people to help us and we usually get one night of babysitting for us to have a datenight.  I think this makes it much more manageable than travelling alone with the kids.

If I were you I would definitely wait to plan a trip.  There are usually good last minute deals on cruises anyways, so if you think you are up to the challenge once you know what its actually like to have 2u2, then you could still decide to go.  But I would also consider leaving the kids with their grandparents and go alone with your DH.  We are thinking of doing this next spring, once I am done BFing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

Thank you all for your responses! Its a great point you all made to at least wait and see how things go once DS2 is here. We have tried a couple of nights with DS1 staying with grandparents, and honestly for us... more stressfull than the short trips we have taken with him, by far. Once we have 2, maybe that would be a different story?

I will certainly post the outcome of the trip if we decide to take the plunge Cool

• Options

Its not so much of a trust issue (for the most part), as just feeling more comfortable when DS is with us. DH and I both feel the same way. We love visits with family, although at the end of the day we both prefer to keep DS with us. Like I said, this may change once we have 2u1. But for now we just love doing everything as a whole family.

• Options
    imagesstover1117:

Its not so much of a trust issue (for the most part), as just feeling more comfortable when DS is with us. DH and I both feel the same way. We love visits with family, although at the end of the day we both prefer to keep DS with us. Like I said, this may change once we have 2u1. But for now we just love doing everything as a whole family.

Yeah, it will likely change when you have 2 kids, especially one of them being a toddler. Infants are a whole lot easier to travel with vs a toddler where you have to do all your activities geared towards them, you constantly have to have your eyes on them to make sure they don't run off, etc. Throw two kids in the mix and it's downright exhausting.

• Options
    We did an 11 day stay in beach house 12 hours away---that was awesome for us at that age. We loved it!
  • Options

I wouldnt do a cruise, but a beach vacation yes I would. We did it when the kids were 1 and 2.5 and it was hard but that was bc of my parents and sisters, BILs and cousins all in the same house. If you have 2 seperate rooms for your own family it makes a TON of difference. we have traveled a ton and its easier with seperate sleeping areas. I will say Disney is not worth it at a young age, we did it when they were 21 m and 3 m and 2 and 8 months and it was HARD. we got in for free though so no money lost. A beach house would be your best bet. 

And I agree about other people taking the kids, I have 3 and while I would love a night away, I couldnt do longer at this point--they are too little.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKC_13:
    imagesstover1117:

Yeah, it will likely change when you have 2 kids, especially one of them being a toddler. Infants are a whole lot easier to travel with vs a toddler where you have to do all your activities geared towards them, you constantly have to have your eyes on them to make sure they don't run off, etc. Throw two kids in the mix and it's downright exhausting.

We had two under two, passed the under two part now-but our kids just now spent time with their grandparents overnight. I work and the only time I get with them is 3 hours a day and the weekend, so I keep my kids around me all the time. We spend time with inlaws and parents, we are like the op, we just like doing everything together as a family.  

OP-we travel frequently with our kids, we have since our first was 6 weeks old, we do a plane trip and a 7 hour trip every 6 weeks or so---it didn't change when DD was born. Enjoy your trip if you go! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"