Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

XP- WWYD- found dog NBR

So I seem to only have time to check the bump once a month now, but I know when I have a burning question, you ladies will have good advice, so TIA!

Two weeks ago my DH found a Boston Terrier darting in and out of traffic on the busiest road in town. The dog didn't have a collar on so he brought it home, and after supper he went door to door looking for its home.

He found the owner, who didn't even say thank you, or seem concerned that the dog had been missing or found. All she said was that she had fixed the fence where it and one of her other dogs had gotten out (who knows if she got her other dog back, and DH said he saw about 5 dogs). DH came home fuming and saying if he found the dog again, he's going to keep it or give it to his coworker who has a Boston already.

Yesterday I got a message from an acquaintance who lives a mile from me. She has the dog at her house and asked us to come get it since DH knows where it lives. It still doesn't have a collar on. Even if it is a good escape artist, it should have a collar on. Now I am the one fuming. Even if this lady doesn't know how to train her dog not to leave the yard (which isn't that hard, I have trained 2 Bostons), she could at least give it a collar and fix her fence. Or look for it when it's missing. She didn't even put signs up. What would you do?

I honestly don't know what the right thing to do is here. I told my DH that he shouldn't steal someone's dog, but on the other hand it is going to get killed if he doesn't.

imageimage
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP- WWYD- found dog NBR

• I'd keep it or give it to someone who would treat it well. I think it would be unethical for me to turn it back to a home where it will most likely get out again and possibly get hit by a car or hurt otherwise. That's just me though.
  • I don't know what I would do BUT my mom stole someone's dog once and gave it to a friend.  Her neighbors had a little mutt dog that they kept in their backyard 24/7 and didn't take good care of.  My mom felt bad for it because it was a really sweet dog.  One day she noticed that it was without water so she just took the dog out of the backyard and delivered it to her friend's house where it lived a very happy life.  She said her neighbors never even asked about it or looked for it or anything.

Could you call up your local shelter and ask them about the laws?  The fact that the dog isn't wearing a collar makes me suspicious that it isn't registered which is illegal.

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • OK, so I just got the dog from the girl who found her this time. It is wearing a collar now, and has a tag for one of those services that registers the microchip and you call them when you find the dog instead of the owner, but the owner didn't register the dog! WTF.

She is soooooo sweet. I want to just keep her. The girl that found her told me she had a couple of people that wanted to adopt it already, and I have had several people ask me where to get a dog like mine who I know would love to keep it too. 

imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Please don't send the dog back to these negligent owners. People that truly love and value their pets make sure theyre properly tagged and/or chipped and are happy and grateful to get them back after theyve gotten lost. Honestly it doesn't sound like this dog will be missed and her life now doesn't sound all that great. I'd keep her or give her to a good home, she'll live a much happier life.
    <3 <a href="http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie Second Birthday tickers "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."-Albert Einstein
  • I would be inclined to keep the dog too. However, we had a period of time, where my dog could escape under our fence (even after we fixed it multiple times). But my dog always has a collar on, and I usually drop what I am doing and go look for her. If someone did find her I was apologetic and thankful to get her back. I love my dog like she is my kid, but she is a frickin escape artist. She has not ran away in months thank goodness. Are you absolutely sure they treat the dog poorly? Are you sure she is not an escape artist? I would have been so sad if my dog ran away and someone kept her. Like literally devastated!
  • imagekwitt22:
    I would be inclined to keep the dog too. However, we had a period of time, where my dog could escape under our fence (even after we fixed it multiple times). But my dog always has a collar on, and I usually drop what I am doing and go look for her. If someone did find her I was apologetic and thankful to get her back. I love my dog like she is my kid, but she is a frickin escape artist. She has not ran away in months thank goodness. Are you absolutely sure they treat the dog poorly? Are you sure she is not an escape artist? I would have been so sad if my dog ran away and someone kept her. Like literally devastated!

I kind of agree with this.  We had an escape artist too.  We even went as far as putting chicken wire burried under our fence and stapled to the back of it so she couldn't dig out and she managed to dig out the chicken wire!  If there was any way to escape, she found it.  Half the time, she was also collarless because our bigger Golden would chew her collar off!  We got to the point where we couldn't let her out to pee without us because she would dig out in the 3-5 minutes she was out there alone. We tried everything, including a lot of exercise and training.  She was just a very high maintence animal.  It was absolutely ridiculous.  We would go look for her, but if we didn't find her, we would let it be for an hour or so because she always came home on her own.  I was always terrifed she would get hit by a car or something.  It was very stressful.  Since we've had a baby and the dog hated children, we did rehome her to a very nice family, who hopefully has an iron and cement fence!  It might be that the owner is actually trying to contain the dog and the dog is just uncontainable. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If you can I'd wait a week. See if they make flyers, post in the paper or on Craigslist. If you don't see any effort on their part I'd find it a better home.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You can't keep the dog.  It is STEALING!  I know how much it breaks your heart and it would break mine too.  But the owner of the dog could call the cops.  It has happened to a dog lover friend of mine.  I would take the dog to a shelter.  That is what they are for.  Then the owner has to pay to get the dog back and if they don't claim the dog it will be adopted out to a loving family. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"