Two Under 2

Experience with having to see multiple dr's in a practice

With my first, I only saw one dr each visit - it felt personal and she knew us.  I did meet with the 2 other dr's at my request as my dr was also pregnant and due a few wks after me.  I switched dr's as we moved and I wanted a local hospital....my old dr is near my job so it came down to 45+min plus into a city with traffic in the winter...I am so frustrated with the new dr.  I see a diffrent dr every time and they all tell me come back in 2 wks, when the prior visit with a diffrent dr said 4.  My husband hasnt made one appointment b/c they end up being during the day in spite of me tryign to schedule in advance to get a morning visit....and he'd basically have to take the day off of work.  My last pregnancy i was weeppy all the time for no reason, this time I am not like that but I just got upset on the phone trying to make an appointment - how embaressing!  I just feel like i keep getting diffrent information..wondering is this the common experience with larger practices?????

Re: Experience with having to see multiple dr's in a practice

• Completely normal.  My practice encourages you to see all the Dr's at some point during your pregnancy because whichever Dr is on call will deliver you.  But in the end you can schedule w/ whom ever you want. 

I've been w/ the same practice through both pregnancies and the majority of the office, including Dr's, know me and visits are very personable.  Just give it time.

• I should probably also ask...is it normal for there to be an ultra sound technician in the office?  I meet with them first and then the dr. so next time I have a 9:30 appt with them and a 10 with the dr...all my visists have been 2-3 hrs. on days I work from home and work doesn't know yet....now I'm just venting....
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not normal, but is certainly a plus IMO.  My office has one and will make DR and US appts together for convenience sake. 
  • It is very common to see multiple Dr's.  Whichever Dr is on call will deliver your baby, so its best to get to know and be comfortable with all of them.  However it can make a big difference how many Dr's are in the practice.  I switched from a practice that had like 11 Drs, which meant I would have only seen each Dr like once and not really known any of them, to a practice with 4 Drs who were all awesome and I got very comfortable with all of them.

You should only have to go to the Dr every 4 weeks until you are about 30weeks along.  If they are telling you to come more often, I would be asking them why.  And as far as scheduling convenient appointment times, it all depends on how busy the practice is.  My Dr's office is wonderful at accomodating my schedule with evening appointments.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My practice is set up this way as well. I think there are 6 doctors and 3 or 4 midwives. I enjoyed being able to see so many doctors. They are also my GYN office as well. We also have a dediccated u/s tech. I had a high risk PG with my first, so occassionally I had u/s with no appointment. We always tried to schedule the u/s and appointments together, though.
    BFP #2 5/31/12 CP 5w2d 6/4/12 BFP #3 7/9/12 EDD 3/8/13 Another Girl!! Lilypie Pregnancy tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"