Pregnant after IF
Options

Do you believe IUI's work?

Here is our background:

Got pregnant in '08 with our DS immediately and had a great pregnancy/delivery. When trying for #2 we were unable to get pregnant again. Had HSG done and my RE found that dye "pocketed" on one side of my uterus. He said this must be scar tissue and that I am "blocked" on one side. We did timed intercourse, Comid, Clomid +IUI and still nothing. RE suggested moving on to IVF and we became pregnant with twins. Sadly, we lost them at 18 weeks due to pre term labor. :( Went back to RE when I felt ready and had a FET that failed. Tried a fresh IVF cycle and it failed as well. 

DH and I decided to take a break from everything and try on on our own. First month no luck but my cycle was off from the medications anyway. I went for a second opinion on my case yesterday and the new RE thinks my HSG results look fine and that the pocketing of the dye is only b/c I was laying down!!??!?! She thinks I can absolutely get preg on my own! 

She is suggesting IUI's (at least 2 attempts) to increase our odds. I feel like I have been through hell and back and I'm wondering what the general feeling is on IUI's. I personally don't know anyone who got pregnant from one. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on their own cases. I'm on the fence on whether or not to try the IUI's or just see what happens for awhile.

Re: Do you believe IUI's work?

• Options
    It worked for us- three times.  However, that doesn't sound right about the HSG.  My tubes were both clear and no dye 'pocketed' on one side.  I, too, was lying down when the HSG was performed and have never heard of it being done when the patient was in any other position than lying down.
  • Options

IUI #2 worked for us with Ethan

We are on IUI #6 TTC #2 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IUI #2 worked for us. I think it was more about getting the meds right than anything. We actually only did IUI to "test out" the med dosages before moving to IVF. We never thought it would work, but my insurance covered those two attempts, so it made sense to try.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

IUI worked for me - that's how I got pregnant. I have ovulation issues though since I have PCOS.

I think your RE is trying to help you increase your odds. Because they are timed perfectly so that the sperm is there when you ovulate AND because there is such a high concentration of sperm w/IUI, the odds will be better if you try it.

However, if you are over fertility treatments and just exhausted by going through all of it I can understand why you'd want a break. It doesn't sound like the doctor has a good handle on your diagnosis or exactly what the problem is?

I had a HSG test too - the dye took awhile to flow through my tubes so the doctor said it's possible I had some minor blockages that the dye cleared out. But I haven't heard of it "pooling" like you explained? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Options

did you have a c-section with your 1st?

did they ever discuss doing a lap?

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I am so sorry for your m/c and your failed cycles.  It is heartbreaking!  As for the IUI's, they did work for us once we went on to injections.  It all depends on your diagnosis.  My RE thinks that mine was egg quality and that is why injects worked.  If you have blocked tubes, than IUI will not work for you.  Although, if the new RE is right than IUI can definitely work but you might need something more than clomid. 

Good luck in what ever you decide to do!

• Options

I got pregnant from IUI #2 which ended in a c/p and from IUI #5.  I don't ovulate on my own and I have very low progesterone so injects helped me produce enough follies to increase my chances.

Good luck to you!

DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am sorry to hear about your miscarriages and IF issues. From my perspective:

I was dx with PCOS and had anovulation as a result. We had no MFI issues to speak of. When I had my HSG last November, my radiologist noticed that it took the dye a long time to pool into my right ovary. It eventually did reach the ovary but took much longer than my left side. I was very paranoid over it, and then once they found a dermoid cyst on my right ovary, I was convinced that that was the cause of some kind of partial blockage.

However, I went to two top RE hospitals in Boston and both doctors informed me that one ovary taking slightly longer to pool (if that's what happened to you) is very normal. It concerns the patient that there is a blockage when in fact there is not. Now I'm not saying that's the case for you, however it was for me so I figured I'd write my response. In terms of the IUI, I only did 1 (that failed, and everything looked picture perfect). I would never say they "don't work" after all, look at all the positive experiences on this post! I do believe however that without any MFI, IUI doesn't increase your chances by a whole lot. My BFP cycle ended up being Clomid + trigger and TI...good luck and best wishes to you!!!

TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
  • Options

IUI #4 was successful for us.  We did the same 50 mg of Clomid each time.  If # 4 wasn't successful we were going to meet with the doctor to talk about moving on to IVF.  

Were you able to watch your HSG?  Did you see the fluid pool?  I watched mine and was able to see it flow right out of my tubes.  With the opinions being so different from your doctors, maybe you should do another. 

image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Options
    IUI #1 worked for us.  We did them back to back (meaning two days in a row as opposed to just one IUI).  It worked the first time.
  • Options

Wow, it sounds like you have been through quite a bit. I think the success of IUI totally depends on your diagnosis. 

Our main dx is MFI, and we were told from the beginning that IVF was our best option.  We did 7 anyway because insurance covered them. I think I knew the whole time though that they wouldn't work. 

I know plenty of people who have had success even among the worst odds though. Best of luck to you! 

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • Options
    Yes, my DD came to us through IUI.  I had had a good HSG, DH's SA came back good, and we were dx with unexplained IF.  I went on Clomid and then Femara but TI just didn't do it for us.  I then went on Femara with Ovidrel and had the IUI and it worked!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

An IUI (+ follistim) is what has me pregnant now.  I got pregnant twice on my own, but had a c/p and a m/c.  Then we tried 2 unmedicated IUI's, got pregnant on the 2nd one, but had a c/p.  Then tried 2 IVF's (both were fresh) - got pregnant on the 2nd one and had a c/p.  Tried two more unmedicated IUI's - got pregnant on the 2nd one, had another c/p. 

Used acupuncture for over a year (through all the IUI's and IVF's), but finally tried omega fish oil and co-q 10 for both DH and I (he has MFI and I have DOR) and then we did 2 medicated IUI's.  You guessed it - the 2nd one worked and I am now 30w3d pregnant with twins. 

So yes an IUI can work!!  I am also confused by that dr explanation of the dye pooling - everyone has the test laying down and not everyone has that happen.  If the dye stayed in, that would lead me to believe there was a blockage.  But, who knows - anything is possible I guess. 

• Options

I got pregnant on my 3rd IUI with injectibles (Gonal F + trigger).  The time we were successful we did timed intercourse as well as back to back IUI's.

Good Luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"