Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

going to church with LO who has separation anxiety.

We're religious people but haven't been to church in a long time. Mostly because Sunday is my DH's only day off and he "wants to sleep in" (understandable) and because we have a difference in "tastes" of church.. I'm more of a contemporary up beat,modern style and he's old school "fall asleep" style.there is nothing wrong with his way or my way but we cant decide on what church to go to. The rest of his family goes to a really nice church from what I hear and its "his kind of church" so because I want DD to grow up in a religious environment like DH and I did. I can deal with going to "his kind of church."  after all the style of church isn't what its about. Now that DD has some serious separation issues going on I'm not all that thrilled to leave her in the nursery. I have arranged for My SIL (16yrs) to work in the Nursery for a few Sundays so that DD wont be just dropped off and not have anyone familiar around. But other than that I dont really know how else to make this a smoother drop off.. I'm half tempted to go a couple Sundays and just spend the whole time in the nursery with her so she can get familiar with the  help. I also this that she may be so distracted with the other babies that she will totally forget about Mommy.

Any suggestions? 

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: going to church with LO who has separation anxiety.

• Options
    That sounds like a good plan to me.  I work in the nursery at our church, and I know when I first started dropping of DD, I came a little early and played with her for a few minutes with the workers as well, so she knew they were safe.  Also bring some of her favorite toys that may distract her.  In the end, she will probably cry at first, but she'll be alright.  Worst case, they page you to come help calm her down.  It may be hard at first, but if you tell the workers, they can give her a little extra attention.  Good luck!
  • Options

Having your 16 yr old SIL work in the nursery and you spending some volunteer time in the nursery sounds like a great plan to me.

I keep both DD and DS with me at all time during church. It's a pretty big church but there is no nursery.  We are catholic and go every Sunday.  I have not had a problem so far.  DD is a breeze.  DS can sometimes get a little loud (not crying but sometimes babbling - he is still not verbal) or sometimes just being all over the place.  DH or myself will walk him to the back of the church so that he does not disturb anyone else. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a sahm so my son isn't around strangers or other babies and I was worried about taking him to the church nursery but he has been great. I pin Sophie to his outfit with a pacifier clip and don't make a big deal when I drop him off. I also request that they let me know if he's been crying for 5 minutes. Good luck! I know I enjoy church more that I'm not worried about him distracting other people in the service.
  • Options
    Sometimes it works when moms stay and play with their LOs a little bit.  Then one of the nursery workers slowly eases her way in and starts playing with LO too.  If you get him well distracted, you can sneak out unnoticed (at least for a little while).

Anniversary

• Options
    mcleremclere member

I'm going throught the same thing now. Our church has a nursey and she's been in it three times. Well the 2nd time one of the ladies daughters was in there she's around 10-12 yrs old was holding my lo rocking her in the chair. I came to check in on her during a break and asked that she not be held rocking while she is trying to sleep and to please put her in the swing for me. Well the little girl dropped her! YES dropped my child who was sleeping on the floor as she was trying to bend over enough to put her into the swing. I LOST IT! I know it was an accident but they should have not let a kid hold my baby. I literally had a melt down and grabbed her and held her close for a while. My hubby in the meantime was wondering what was taking me so long to come back to the service. I did place her in the swing myself after I knew she was ok but I could not pay attention to the service what so ever. Needless to say we skipped the following Sunday. Then this passed Sunday we thought we'd try again. I made sure to let the lady working not to allow any kids hold her. I explained what happened before. I put her in the jumperoo they had and did tell the lady she's close for a nap she may only last a short while and may get fussy. Well I came back about 35-40 minnutes later to check on her and she was STILL in the jumperoo FUSSING! I asked "She hasn't been in that the entire time has she"? The lady told me "oh no!" but I didn't believe her. Again I put her in the swing to see if she'd nap. She's rubbing her eyes I KNOW she was way over do for a nap at this point. I come back about 10 minutes later and the lady was talking and playing with her after I told her she really needed to try and get a nap and had a freakin blanket over her while she was in the swing. I did not feel comfortable with her having a large thick blanket on her. I just DO NOT feel comfortable with anyone watching her. I'm just going to start bringing her back to the serivice with me. I can always step out if she were to get fussy.

So SO long winded.

Follow Me on Pinterest Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just moved and are looking into churches and i've been wondering about this same thing. My daughter is only around the same people all the time. She is mobile( not quite crawling but gets there) and other babies who walk and such scare the crap out of her lol. So I'm a nervous wreck to put her in a nursery- yet alone one i've never been in. So we decided the next few weeks we'd take turns going back with her and see how we feel. ( thankfully the church is wonderful for families and have reserved seating for those who choose to keep their kids with them that are near the doors. ) 

it honestly never processed to me to say, if she is fussing for more than 5 minutes then page me.. that's a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"