November 2012 Moms
Options

Gained 2 lbs too much in a month

My doctor said I gained 2 pound more in the last month than I should have. She wans't concerned and said that I might just level out in the next month or two. I was still pissed. I asked her what my last wight was and she had it off by 2 lbs, I know becuae my scale is adjusted to there scale and I am on top of it. Just pissed and thought I would rant. Anyone else over 200lbs with this problem?

Re: Gained 2 lbs too much in a month

• Options
    Why are you venting??  Because you gained 2lbs over what you "should" have for the month??  I could pee out 2lbs.  Time to relax.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagelavet22:
    Why are you venting??  Because you gained 2lbs over what you "should" have for the month??  I could pee out 2lbs.  Time to relax.

This. Your body will gain what it needs to. If your doctor is not concerned then you should not be. It sounds from your post that you are weighing yourself often at home and comparing to the Dr's scale - that can be a very slippery slope pregnant or not. I mean this is in the nicest way possible: PUT THE SCALE AWAY. Eat healthy, and exercise, get weighed at the Dr.'s (don't ask what it is) and go on living your life.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelavet22:

I pooped two pounds this afternoon.

Gaining weight is a natural part of being pregnant.  Stay on top of your healthy eating and exercise and let your body do what it needs to.  Bloating happens, quick gains and then leveling happens, too.  Nothing to get worked up about.  

• Options
    I would not get myself stressed out about 2 pounds.  Now that you know that you went over the "recommended" amount, you can just be more aware this month of what you are eating and how much exercise you are getting.  I wouldn't put a lot of pressure on yourself though, you are obviously paying attention to your weight, so it's not like you have no idea where you stand weight-wise.  I would cut yourself a break.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #1 since 3/11

BFP #1 5/4/11 EDD 1/12/12 natural m/c 5/17/11

BFP #2 8/9/11 EDD 4/18/12 ectopic pregnancy (methotrexate) 8/24/11 ruptured tube and removal 8/29/11

BFP #3 3/9/12 EDD 11/19/12 Logan born 11/18/12

BFP #4 10/21/14 EDD 6/30/15

~*~*Everyone Welcome*~*~
  • Options
    V|V TSP V|V
  • Options

imageMommyLuvsMe1210:

LOL!  I am totally saving this and using it as my response on these boards. 

TTC #1 since 3/11

BFP #1 5/4/11 EDD 1/12/12 natural m/c 5/17/11

BFP #2 8/9/11 EDD 4/18/12 ectopic pregnancy (methotrexate) 8/24/11 ruptured tube and removal 8/29/11

BFP #3 3/9/12 EDD 11/19/12 Logan born 11/18/12

BFP #4 10/21/14 EDD 6/30/15

~*~*Everyone Welcome*~*~
  • Options

I'm guessing that you're pissed because you feel like you were chatised for gaining too much weight. It's not really what the dr says sometimes, it's how they say it.

And some doctors are just fat-phobic and annoyingly push the subject all the time. If you feel your OB is this way, you need to consider whether you want to switch or not. It's not too late to switch, but it soon will be.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    First of all, unless you were nakey at least a pound of that was what you were wearing. I can totally pee out a half to a pound and a half as well. Problem solved, you're right on track. Seriously, 2lbs. is nothing to worry about. Weewaaaaax.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

+1 for Team Relax. 2lbs is VERY variable. I honestly can't believe this post.

I'm sorry,  but I can't even give you a more thought out response, because a concern over 2 measly pounds is ridiculous.

Unlessssss you were ten lbs over last month and two lbs over this month.... did you forget to tell us that part? 

• Options

Another guess because I'm really bored tonight... as the OP states she is over 200lb, I'm guessing that the OB wants her to only gain 15lb total throughout the pregnancy. Which makes 2lb a much bigger deal.

And the reason I guess this is because my first OB was an asshat too.

The former jen5/03.

• Options
    I know Im not over 200 pds but figured I would give you some words of encouragement...Im in the middle of my third pregnancy and have always gone above the recommended weight gain schedule that they set for every pregnant woman. What some drs fail to realize is that every woman AND pregnancy is completely different and will gain differently as well...My Aunt only gained 20 pds during her first pregnancy, granted she is tiny, but during her last pregnancy she gained 55 (I believe)...those are just recommendations so its easier for you to lose weight post baby. This pregnancy, my dr has spoken with me several times on what to eat and what not to eat...what she doesnt understand is that being a person with IBS, GERD, IC and Fibromyalgia, my diet is already strictly planned out. There are many foods that my digestive tract cannot handle and I stay away from those foods (red meats, lettuce and other fruit and veggies...) Some people are just plain different. I wouldnt worry about the two pds that your dr is making a big squawk about, hell, Im not worried about the extra fifteen pounds that I have supposedly overgained. Chin up, making a baby is tough work alone without thinking or stressing about the small things.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

With my 1st pregnancy I gained 30 lbs total, but in just one of those months I gained 9 lbs.  That was embarrassing and the doctor wasn't real kind about it.  I don't think in that month I ate like a horse or anything, I just had some sort of growth spurt or something.  I was concerned at the time, but it leveled out and still gained the appropriate amount. 

I just try to focus on month by month.  You and your baby may have had a little growth spurt, try not to dwell on the 2 extra pounds, just focus on how good you'll do this month.

• Options
    imageJena503:

Another guess because I'm really bored tonight... as the OP states she is over 200lb, I'm guessing that the OB wants her to only gain 15lb total throughout the pregnancy. Which makes 2lb a much bigger deal.

And the reason I guess this is because my first OB was an asshat too.

Well so am I. But seriously, 2 out of 15 is NOT A BIG DEAL. Really. Considering that that's how much baby weighs at this point....

Andplusalso,  I'm "not supposed to" gain more than 15 pounds either. But weight is relative. You can work it off regardless of where you started in the first place. I actually HAD been doing P90X with Papa Bear before getting pregnant.I found other options as to make sure the only weight I'm gaining IS all baby related.

You can go on a walk around the block a couple times in the afternoon, find a local YMCA and do some water aerobics, find other pregnant women in your neighborhood and do some outdoor prenatal yoga together. It isn't a big deal. I hate that people (women especially) put so much of their self-worth into their body weight. I feel like so long as you aren't feeding on McDonald's everyday, and sitting on your ass dong nothing, that you're FINE.

V|V TSP V|V
  • Options
    Get over yourself....seriously. 2 effing lbs....fml image
    V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageQuintonsMummah:
    Get over yourself....seriously. 2 effing lbs....fml image

Seriously, I love this.  So Much!!!  It sums up what I was thinking when I read the post... 

• Options

My doctor said the same thing to me but I think she pointed it out to make sure I wasn't making bad nutrition choices. I started out weighing 145 and she said 25 should be my max weight gain. I think she is just looking out for me and don't take it so hard. Some months can even out the others. My appetite has totally changed this past month and I get full so fast. I'm sure in the end your doctor is only warning you because two extra lbs each month are a lot harder to lose. Don't stress about it.  

• Options
    I have gained a ton of weight. At this time I have no idea how much but I am positive that I already have gained 20 lbs so far based on my initial weight gain in the first few months.  I don't weigh myself at home and the doctors do not offer to tell me my weight gain.  I am not worried so much.  I figure that my body is doing what it needs to do in order to take care of this baby.  I eat a nutritious diet and exercise when my body will allow it.  Once the baby is out and found to be healthy, I will focus more on my weight at that point.
  • Options
    This exact thing happened to me too and don't worry, I totally understand why you were pissed.  My doctor was very nice about it and said she wasn't worried either, but she wanted me to be aware that I had gained more that month so that I could make sure I was eating right.  I was so upset though because I felt like I had been eating well and doing all the things I was supposed to be doing.  Then I went home and weighed myself the next day and I was 2 pounds lighter.  I was SO tempted to call the doctor up to tell her that it was just a fluke the day before.  I wanted to get my credit for being good with my weight.  lol Anyways, I know everyone is telling you just to relax and not worry and not weigh yourself, but I totally get feeling like you need to prove yourself to the doctor and yourself.  I started weighing myself everyday and writing it down.  There are definite fluctuations and some days are two pounds more and some are 2 pounds less and some are pretty steady.  It does make me feel better though to be able to see the averages and know that I am pretty much on track.  I also figure I can take it with me to the next dr apointment and even if I am having an off day again there I can show my doc that I am still doing pretty well.  Also, one thing that has really helped me is to cut back anything with sugar in it (especially things that seem healthy like fruit and yogurt)  Good luck and hang in there!  I feel for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"