Baby Names

Traditional names - give me your thoughts

Timeless, cute, old sounding, bland?  What do you think of these?

- Mary

- Elizabeth

- Caroline

- Geraldine (Geri)

- Charlotte

- Abigail

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

Re: Traditional names - give me your thoughts

• I like Caroline and and Charlotte the best of those.  Geraldine is nms so much.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like all of them except Geraldine. 

• Loading the player...
  • i love elizabeth and mary

give m traditional names anyday!

• I'm not a huge fan of most "traditional" names but on your list I like Caroline, Charlotte, and Abigail.
  • traditional names are A+++++

new/trendy names with all the superfluous Ys and extra vowels are so gross to me. nothing but love for what i affectionately call "old lady" names. just remember, today's trendy names are tomorrow's stripper pseudonyms. haha

also, my name is elizabeth, sooooo. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • - Mary Love, really loving the idea of two part Mary names right now.

- Elizabeth Love, fav NN is Betty

- Caroline okay, too Southern for me

- Geraldine (Geri) Love, I like Dina as a potential NN

- Charlotte Pretty, but popular

- Abigail okay

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Love them all, but Geraldine! Geraldine is awful. Sorry!
    Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone
    "Don't marry a man unless you would be PROUD to have a son exactly like him." ~ Unknown
  • - Mary- Fine name, but a little blah for me

- Elizabeth- very nice, classic name

- Caroline- love this one!

- Geraldine (Geri)- Really dislike both the formal name and the nn

- Charlotte- love Charlotte, but feel it is a bit to popular

- Abigail- very nice

Caroline and Charlotte are my favorite but I think they are all really solid names with the exception of Geraldine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBearfootz:

- Mary--bland

- Elizabeth--I like it, but it's so common.

- Caroline--love.

- Geraldine (Geri)--hate.

- Charlotte--love.

- Abigail--like alot.

http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
  • Really like both Caroline and Charlotte, but Abigail and Elizabeth are good too. Mary is on the boring side for me but I kinda like the idea of double Mary names (Mary Elizabeth, Mary Catherine etc). For me, Geraldine is more 'old lady' than 'traditional'. I'm not really a fan. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I love Caroline and Charlotte
    Anniversary

• - Mary- pretty

- Elizabeth- LOVE

- Caroline- LOVE

- Geraldine (Geri)- ok

- Charlotte- very pretty

- Abigail- LOVE

We are deciding between Caroline and Elizabeth. Abigail is my IL's dog's name or it would be at the top of my list. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Love them all, with the exception of Geri for a girl. Hate it, along with Jerry for a boy.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageBearfootz:

- Mary - Love, and don't hear often at all

- Elizabeth - Tired of it...we have several at the preschool where I work. It's just very blah for me

- Caroline - Love

- Geraldine (Geri) - No. Sounds like a cranky old lady.

- Charlotte - Love, but getting popular

- Abigail - Cute, but very very popular right now.

• Mary- old and bland

Elizabeth- timeless but bland

Caroline- an old name but refreshing

Geraldine- No way. There are too many 60-70 yr olds in my community with this name. It makes me think of trying to do the feminine version of Gerald.

Charlotte- I've never really liked this name. It sounds pretentious to me.

Abigail- too overdone where I'm from.

Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • I love Caroline, Charlotte, and  Abigail. I like Elizabeth. Mary and Geraldine are nms.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • imagemonlyn9:
    I like all of them except Geraldine. 

This.

• Caroline is my fave. All are ok; common. I'm not a fan of Geraldine-sounds old lady.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like them all except Geraldine. I don't like that it has the name Gerald in it, it's just not pretty or feminine to me at all.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • imageBearfootz:

- Mary - my fave. Lots of the other 'timeless' names are trending now, but not Mary. I don't think it's bland either. It's lovely. It's also the epitome of a strong woman's name.

- Elizabeth - very beautiful, just more common

- Caroline - same as Elizabeth

- Geraldine (Geri) - ok. Dated, IMO.

- Charlotte - very trendy, though beautiful.

- Abigail - love, but it's very, very trendy where I live.

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • I love them all except Geraldine and Caroline. Those two just aren't my style. I would have hated Geraldine as a child but I think Geri is cute.
  • I find them all lovely, with the exception of Geraldine. I'm sorry but I can't shake the bitter old lady stereotype. 

I also love Mary paired with another one syllable first name:

Mary Grace

Mary Claire

Mary Kate 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • I threw Geraldine into the list b/c it's a family name - but didn't mention that as I wanted the real reaction.  Sometimes people are more polite if they think they are insulting someone's grandma.  But I wanted the real reaction because a kid's not going to walk around with a sign saying 'I was named after my great grandma'.  So while it's grown on me because of the family meaning, think it's safe to say that most are in agreement with my DH that' it's just too old of a name and doesn't work well today.

Not even pg yet so plenty of time. 

When you say you like Mary paired - would the two names be the first name and still have a seperate middle name or no?

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• - Mary- I love Mary, either alone or as a double name- Mary Jane, Mary Kate, etc

- Elizabeth- Love this name as well-- prob in my top 2 or 3 for possible future daughter.  Excellent NN potential

- Caroline- Beautiful, but I have seen this name mentioned on the board often and I think it is creeping up in popularity.

- Geraldine (Geri)- not crazy about Geraldine, but live Gigi as a NN

- Charlotte- pretty, but hear it often

- Abigail- same as Charlotte

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Love Mary.

Eizabeth, Caroline, Charlotte, and Abigail are all a little overdone for me.

Geraldine is NMS but alright. Geri is awful. 

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Mary- a little blah

Elizabeth- meh

Caroline- love!

Geraldine- nms

Charlotte- love!

Abigail- nms 

• I love them all except Geraldine.  That name just isn't pretty to my ear.

Of the rest, I would give Caroline the slight edge.  The rest are adorable.  I know a little girl Mary and I find it very refreshing.  Charlotte and Abigail are super popular right now so they are starting to feel a bit tired.  Elizabeth is beautiful but I prefer it in the middle.

Overall, you can't go wrong!

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Mary is the only one that is bland to me. I don't care for Geraldine, it sounds too masculine to me. The rest, though, are great.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Love Mary, Elizabeth, and Caroline.  Not a fan of Geraldine or Abigail.  Charlotte is quite overdone to me at this point.
  • imageBearfootz:

When you say you like Mary paired - would the two names be the first name and still have a seperate middle name or no?

I think I would skip a 3rd name (or middle name.) I am just not loving the flow of any of the 3 name combos I come up with.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Charlotte is beautiful and timeless! I do not know when people go by Char though. The name is so beautiful don't chop it off!
    Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"