Preemies
Options

can you recommend a scale?

I don't know why I didn't think to post on this board before, I think because DD spent no time in the NICU I discount the fact that she is in fact a late term preemie.  We are having many of the typical breastfeeding problems that babies born early have, weak suck, sleepiness, plus I have low supply to boot, woo.  

at the BF support group I'm attending she got 22cc/ml from me 2 weeks ago, but only 6cc/ml last Thursday.  Not what I wanted to hear.  I would really like to be able to do some weighed feedings here at home so we can get a clearer picture of how much she is getting so we can supplement accordingly.  Right now we give her a bottle of 1.5oz formula/pumped milk after every feeding.  We'd love to cut back on the formula over time but the doctor wants her to be getting at least 1oz from me at each feeding.  That still feels like a lofty goal, although she has met her birth weight which is great.  

anyway!  scale recs, anyone?  I want one that measures down to the gram so that we can know more precisely how much she is getting. The scale I ordered initially only reads out in units of 10, so I don't know if she's getting 20ccs or 29ccs.   

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d

Re: can you recommend a scale?

• Options
    kck329kck329 member
    Check out local BFing groups and LCs. Many have scales you can rent for a short period instead of buying one. Your pedi may even be able to write you a script for the rental so your insurance will cover it.
  • Options

Pugz, I didn't know you had a preemie!  I'm glad your LO didn't have NICU time! 

Have you thought of renting a hospital grade scale for a month or two?  That is going to give you the best measure.  Your doctor can write you a script for one and your insurance will likely cover it.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hey Katie :)  Yup Gretchen was born just before 36 weeks, but I had a small premature rupture at 33 weeks.  I got the steroid shots then and was on bedrest for 3 weeks before my water broke for real.  I think the shots are the reason she had no NICU time.  She is small but strong :)  just SO SLEEPY so feeding her is a major challenge.  

I just texted my LC about renting a scale, I hadn't even thought of that.  I really want a better idea of how much milk she is getting from me so that I can make a more educated decision about what to do going forward.  So tired of pumping for only drops of breastmilk. 

• Options
    My DD is failure to thrive and we are in it for the long-haul as far as charting her growth. I got this scale from amazon and it has been great so far https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009MFUZE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
  • Options

imagedcmetrobride:
    My DD is failure to thrive and we are in it for the long-haul as far as charting her growth. I got this scale from amazon and it has been great so far https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009MFUZE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

we ordered that one but had to return it as it doesn't measure to grams, just kgs.  She gets so little from me we need a scale that is extremely precise :(   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"