2nd Trimester

depression....

Has anyone been diagnosed with depression during pregnancy? I've been VERY down and extremely snappy and moody with this pregnancy. I'm hoping it was just a first trimester thing and come to a hault before long. I don't like it one bit. I was never this way during my first pregnancy with DS. Anyways, at my appointment today my doctor said we'll give it until about week 16 *fingers crossed* and then decide what we want to do...anti depressant? UGHHHH!!! Help.

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary

Re: depression....

• I have anxiety that I've been dealing with on my own over the last 4 years or so.  I haven't done anything about it because I didn't want to go to a counselor and have them tell me that I need meds, because I didn't want to go on anything then have to come off it for pregnancy, etc.  But, it has gotten much worse during this pregnancy, and there is a decent chance I will at least be going to a counselor sometime soon, to try to use some techniques to avoid meds.  If that doesn't work, then I will consider meds if I think I need them. 

Maybe you could start with counseling and breathing techniques or meditation to see if that relieves some of the anxiety/depression, rather than go straight to medication?

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was able to get through my first pregnancy with no medication, but I was a high risk for PPD after suffering from Bi Polar disorder for many years prior. I haven't had issues this time so far, but there are day's that are harder than others. All I can say is that you have to do what is right for you. There is no shame in taking something to calm yourself or to make youself feel better. I agree w/ PP don't let yourself suffer, that isn't fair to you. This is an exciting time in your life. You deserve to be happy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:

I have anxiety that I've been dealing with on my own over the last 4 years or so.  I haven't done anything about it because I didn't want to go to a counselor and have them tell me that I need meds, because I didn't want to go on anything then have to come off it for pregnancy, etc.

I just wanted to reassure you that not all counselors will push drugs - I told mine at the very beginning that I was reluctant to go down that route and she has been so respectful of that. Now, on the flip side, I have grown to trust her so much that if she did suggest drugs, I would likely take them as I know she gotten to know me and my situation so well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• imageSunglow28:
    imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:

I have anxiety that I've been dealing with on my own over the last 4 years or so.  I haven't done anything about it because I didn't want to go to a counselor and have them tell me that I need meds, because I didn't want to go on anything then have to come off it for pregnancy, etc.

I just wanted to reassure you that not all counselors will push drugs - I told mine at the very beginning that I was reluctant to go down that route and she has been so respectful of that. Now, on the flip side, I have grown to trust her so much that if she did suggest drugs, I would likely take them as I know she gotten to know me and my situation so well.

Thank you, I am having a hard time admitting IRL that it's time for me to suck it up and go talk to someone.  I have stuff going back years and years that it's easier for me to try to forget/ignore than to bring back to the forefront of my mind.  I'm gradually working my way up to it, but it's taking a really long time to get comfortable with the idea.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i suffer from depression. it came around 8 almost 9 years ago when 3 people that i was really close with all died with in 4 months of each other. 

I started on meds. I hated them i jumped from med to med trying to find one that worked. it was awful. the thing i hated about med's is that they made me feel zombieish. I couldn't be sad but i couldn't be happy either i was just going through life like blah. After attempting suicide i was told to see a therapist and after 3 different ones i found one whom i love. She is amazing and i can talk to her about anything. it helps me with my depression to have someone to talk to and get stuff off my chest. She even asked me about meds and i told her i didnt like them and she supports my decision to not be medicated. 

Pintrest:::Twitter
    Praying that this baby stays with me. BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I totally understand where you're coming from--my husband is a police officer who works in a horrible city and that just seems to add to my anxiety lately.  I also, started working from home, which has been nice and a huge blessing in so many ways, except for the interaction with other adults.  Things that have helped me, reading uplifting happy and healthy stories aboout other families, some even chicken soup for the soul things.  Also, started doing a pregnancy yoga once a week and I've been trying to walk with my husband or a girlfriend each day.  The excise has been a huge help bc it in a way wears me out to where I actually sleep better and more soundly b/c I am so tired.  :)   The yoga is GREAT for breathing and slowing down.  My hospital where we are delivering does a class.  Anyway, best of luck and don't feel bad for seeking help.  That's why they are there, and not all of them will give you drugs. 
  • I'm with you.  I"m still dealing with PPD from #2 and taking medication.  I"m studying right now the best thing for breastfeeding or formula to have the best outcome for mommy and baby.  My favorite website that has been the most comfort to me is 

https://postpartumprogress.com/ 

Its been awesome for me to know I'm not alone and healthy happy mom is as important as healthy baby.  Good Luck working it out.   

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"