Dads & Dads-to-be

did you or are you finding out the sex of the baby

Just curious to see what everyone is doing....my wife wants to find out cause she hates surprises and she is a big time planner for everything. I on the other hand didn't find out with my other three and don't wanna find out with our baby.  I feel that if we were supposed to know the sex of the baby there would be a window letting us see.  Call me old fashion but this is one thing that I would have a lot of trouble changing my mind about.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: did you or are you finding out the sex of the baby

• We found out gender as soon as we could.  The main reason was for planning purposes.  We also just really wanted to know if we were having a boy or a girl.  We are both kind of control freaks, so knowing has done a lot in terms of how we are planning the room, a name, and just in how we talk to him already.  We are constantly talking to him, and it is nice to be able to use his name and all the little terms associated with having a boy.

It really is a personal preference, and no way is better than the other when it comes to this.

• coybigcoybig member
    Same reason for us to find out. It allowed us to prepare a bit more, and also meant that we could personalize things a bit more. Because it was our first, it was much easier to decide that way... so having 3 prior I can definitely see not needing/wanting to find out ahead of time.
    there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • Loading the player...
  • I kind of wanted to wait until the delivery because I think it might have been cool, but my wife hates surprises and that meant we would know as soon as the OB offered. BUT I'm having a son and that is crazy awesome, so I'm cool with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For our first I thought about not knowing but my wife cant wait for surprises, so she said that I could still not know about the gender and she would just keep it to herself.  Now we all know that would not work, and I figured since she was going to be carrying and delivering our child, she would bear the ultimate decision in that.  So we found out for our first.

For our second, there wasn't even a discussion, we needed to know because since we had a boy, my wife wanted to know for sure if we were having a boy or girl, as well as I did too.  Once they said it was another boy, my wife turns to me and says, "well i guess you were right that we were having another boy. so it looks like we will be trying for that girl again!" 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We wanted to know to give us time to think about names. For us it was fun to start thinking of him as a little boy rather than just a baby. But I really think you can go either way on this.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • We found out for #1 and we plan on finding out for #2 as well.

We did it primarily so we knew ahead of time, we both are planners and I liked that when I talked to my wife's belly, I could address him by name.  It helped in buying a few clothing items, but we have names for 2 boys and 2 girls already in hand and we had/have the nursery already painted in a gender neutral color scheme... green for grass, blue for sky... lends itself for a number of ways to decorate.

• Ok well this isn't helping my case any :(. Oh well such is life  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We found out the sex of our baby as soon as possible.  We thought it would help the planning, but mostly we just wanted to know.
  • We found out early because the technician zoomed in on the legs and you could totally tell it was a boy!

• imageAdamant627:

Ok well this isn't helping my case any :(. Oh well such is life  

You still need to do what you guys feel comfortable with and agree on.  For our next one, who knows....we may want to be surprised and wait.

I think personality type plays a lot more into it than anything else.  My wife and I are planners and organizers, so we are driven by that reality.  Not knowing really was never an option.

• imageladyjenna13:
    imageAdamant627:

Ok well this isn't helping my case any :(. Oh well such is life  

You still need to do what you guys feel comfortable with and agree on.  For our next one, who knows....we may want to be surprised and wait.

I think personality type plays a lot more into it than anything else.  My wife and I are planners and organizers, so we are driven by that reality.  Not knowing really was never an option.

We won't be able to tell you how to talk your wife into not wanting to know the sex of the baby...tell her how you feel, see if she will give in, and if not....relax knowing your having a terrific boy/girl coming and keep supporting your wife. The realization is....if she wants to know, not much is going to stop her. You just get to decide if you are on board about finding out or want to try to be left in the dark for a few months (which will be tough). 

• DONT FIND OUT!!!!!! I can't explain to you the joy of that moment in the hospital room hearing that our baby was a boy. And while I got to enjoy 9 months of bonding with our baby, my husband got his little victory in announcing to the world that he had a son! It was amazing and I encourage you to try to wait. You will never regret it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think you'll be happy whether you find out or not.
  • imageshineineaiken:
    DONT FIND OUT!!!!!! I can't explain to you the joy of that moment in the hospital room hearing that our baby was a boy. And while I got to enjoy 9 months of bonding with our baby, my husband got his little victory in announcing to the world that he had a son! It was amazing and I encourage you to try to wait. You will never regret it!

I am certain I will feel unmeasurable joy when or boy is born even though I have known his gender this whole time.  I will never regret knowing ahead of time.

To each his own, but the joy will still be off the charts regardless.

• Knowing he was a he & giving him a name has made me feel a lot closer to him. People refer to him by his name and have been for several weeks instead of just "the baby".

Anniversary
  • imagebrandyleighxx:
    Knowing he was a he & giving him a name has made me feel a lot closer to him. People refer to him by his name and have been for several weeks instead of just "the baby".

I could not agree more.  We walk by his room it is Jacob's room.  When he kicks or punches mommy when he is feeling frisky, Jacob is kicking.

Calling our son by his name has really allowed us to be close to him together, which is nice for all three of us I think.

• it's always been a dream for me to not find out. the surprise seems so much fun! my FI is finding out and going to try and keep it a secret from me. we will see how well that goes ;)
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

Created with Gifboom

• We haven't found out the gender yet. I'm 14 weeks, however we both do want to know ASAP! I agree with your wife, on wanting to know. It can be very stressful not knowing because all she is thinking about is giving birth and then decorating and getting boy or girl clothes. She just want everything in its place before hand so she can come home from the hospital and just have everything set.

Good Luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"