VBAC

Gestational Diabetes and VBAC

The reason I had a c-section with my first was  they were estimating her to be large.  She was born 9lbs 9oz.  I passed my one hour glucose test at 26 weeks my first pregnancy.  This time around I failed my one hour when they tested me early in this pregnancy and passed the 3 hour.  At 28 weeks I failed the one hour again and they are not repeating the 3 hour and going to treat me for GD.  I have been going back and forth on a vbac vs repeat C-section.  All the doctors in the practice had said if this baby was measuring smaller then they would be fine with a vbac.  I am just wondering since I am being treated for GD does that make most doctors frown upon a vbac.  My thought process, was if the baby is measuring normal and my blood sugar levels are normal then why would that change anything?  Any input?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Gestational Diabetes and VBAC

• I don't know much about GD but I would think that as long as it's well controlled it shouldn't be any different.  I don't know if growth ultrasounds are required if you have GD but they can be very inaccurate in late pregnancy.  If your docs are requiring that baby be measuring a certain way, it seems likely that they will use that as a way to convince you that you need another c/s.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Kie310Kie310 member

I had GD with my first. Right now I don't have it, having passed the 3 hour in first tri. I will take it again at 26 weeks.... but my doctor has not brought up a RCS once to me since I told him I wanted to go for a VBAC.

I was diet controlled with my first & he was born 7lb 6oz at 37 weeks 6 days because of pre-e. So I have no reason to think my baby will be large next time.

Honestly many women give birth vaginally to babies at or over 9lb!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If GD is well controlled with diet alone, there should be no reason that you need to go early or have a c/s.

If your GD is not easily controlled and you need meds or insulin, then there are additional issues because the placenta starts to deteriorate early.

The reason a GD baby is a bad candidate for vaginal birth is not just because they are large, but because of how they are large - they tend to be bigger in the shoulders which makes things harder (shoulder dystocia). But again, that's only with blood sugars that are not well controlled.

I did have diet controlled GD last time and I did have a successful vbac..., but I also had a nice fight about it with my OB's backup while in labor.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I have GD and I'm planning on a VBAC. My doctor said as long as the GD is controlled by food alone, it won't change our birth plan at all. If I have to go to meds then it may make her a little anxious, but that is the only way.

I'm measuring right on time, my weight gain is fine, my blood sugar is fine...so I'm not expecting a problem. My doctor is fine with me going to 42 weeks, regardless of VBAC or GD. I <3 her.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my experience: I had GD with my first he was LGA at 9lbs 4oz, I had a c-section because he was in distress. With my second I passed the 1 hour at 8 weeks, failed the 1 hour at 28 weeks but passed the 3 hour after that, I was not diagnosised with GD. They did an ultrasound around 32ish weeks with DD to make sure she was not going to be too big since I planned on doing a VBAC. She was 7lbs 14oz at birth and I had a great VBAC.

This time around I have already failed the 1 hour and passed a 3 hour but I will have to do it again at 28 weeks. I still plan on doing a VBAC even if I do have GD. I really think as long as they say your baby is measuring ok (And if the reason you needed a c-section was because your pelvis was to small for the baby) then I would at least try.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"