2nd Trimester

Weight loss and difficult to eat, any suggestions?

I'm 17 weeks pregnant so far, and in the past 2 weeks i've lost 4 lbs. A total of 13 lbs since i've gotten pregnant. I had morning sickness in the beginning and then food poisoning. But after all of that happening I'm still losing weight and I'm having trouble eating. What i've become fond of is otter pops, which is basically ice. But with food One day I'll like a certain food and another i can't stand the smell and/or taste. I'm trying to venture out to see what foods I like but I'm a tad bit worried that i won't be able to find anything that will help me put on weight thats nutritous. Are there any suggestions on foods to try, or even a way to help me eat more food?

Re: Weight loss and difficult to eat, any suggestions?

• Have you seen your doctor recently? If you have, did he/she seem concerned about your weight loss? If you haven't seen your doctor for a while, and your next appointment is a ways away yet, you may want to call up your clinic's nurse line and ask a few questions. If they feel there is a reason for concern, they'll bring you in and check you out to make sure everything is okay.

Generally, some weight loss in the earlier part of pregnancy is common and nothing to be concerned about. Only if they see that there's a problem with the baby's growth do that ever get worried about it.

I'm almost to my 3rd trimester, and I'm still losing weight. I was a chubbier lady to start with, and that's a part of it. But my baby is growing just like he should, so my doctor isn't at all concerned about my weight loss during pregnancy.

Just keep trying to eat healthy. Stay away from fast food, sugary treats, and junk food as much as you can. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First, definitely talk to your doctor. If you're losing weight they need to know.
    I've been struggling with more morning sickness myself (I'm 17 weeks and 5 days)
    and I've talked to my doctor and I'm always told to have small meals. This never helps. I know that there are medications you can take, talk to your doctor and see if you can take one.
    I've found for me that if I'm out and about and active, I'm usually okay. It's the lazy days at home where I'm really sick.
    I also had a friend who bought me these Preggie Pops from our local babies r us
    I sucked on one early today when I was feeling super sick and idk if it was the distraction or whats in them but while I didnt feel GREAT afterwards, I felt fine. So maybe something like that?

EDIT: excessive amounts of water or only drinking water (I'm always thirsty) adds to my sickness. Try Orange Juice, it's thicker and has lots of vitamin C which is also good for you :)

• Loading the player...
  • Peanut butter is great if you can.   But I would def talk to your dr.     when I'm craving food a glass of water typically helps me.  
    pregnancy due date BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ive lost about 13lbs as well. I'm trying to eat lots of fruit, salads, and on bad days where im unable to eat a lot I have a glass of carnation instant breakfast to give me some nutrients.  

and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't nearly lost as much as you, but lost some early on and have had a lot of trouble putting it back on. My doctor suggested making a milkshake with Ensure (just blend ice cream and Ensure basically). He said most of his patients who continue to have eating/food issues can often stomach bland liquids like milkshakes, so you're getting calories and the protein from Ensure. He told me anytime I am feeling better to try to sneak in vegetables and other nutrient-rich foods, but the most important thing is getting the calories and protein in.
  • imagerachnmcd:
    I haven't nearly lost as much as you, but lost some early on and have had a lot of trouble putting it back on. My doctor suggested making a milkshake with Ensure (just blend ice cream and Ensure basically). He said most of his patients who continue to have eating/food issues can often stomach bland liquids like milkshakes, so you're getting calories and the protein from Ensure. He told me anytime I am feeling better to try to sneak in vegetables and other nutrient-rich foods, but the most important thing is getting the calories and protein in.

I have failed to gail a lb. yet, currently 21 weeks.  My doc recomeded maybe seeing a nutritioist (This may not be necessary for you, but I may have a medical reason that I am not gaining) He also mentioned ensure. Its an easy to get calories in. Maybe try drinking some substantial smoothies, milkshakes, ensure, carnation?
    Also, if you are digging popscicles( I love otter pops) maybe try some Edy's fruit bars. They make like every fruit flavor, berry, grape, coconut, mango..and they have some calories.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I second the Ensure idea.  Lots of good nutrients, easy to take down and unfortunately if necessary easy to puke back up. :(   Also, make sure your doc/midwife knows you're still losing. 

Last pregnancy I was sick ALL.THE.TIME.  This one I have good days and bad days (the bad days all I do is puke) and finally last night I sent DH out to get some ensure because the baby needs some real nourishment.  I'm not as worried about me losing weight, but I lost a lot last time and although my doc reassured me that I was fine when I gave birth to a 5 lb baby (expecting a 10 lb one) I was a bit traumatized and have not stopped blaming myself for that.  This one I'm doing everything in my power to not have another 5 lb baby-including an ensure a day.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"