February 2013 Moms

Blood work but no NT scan?

Wondering if anyone is getting 12 week blood work but not the actual scan. DH really doesn't want to do he tests so I'm thinking of this as a compromise. Anyone else doing this or did it previously? Thx!! 

Re: Blood work but no NT scan?

• The NT scan is just an ultrasound, it's completely non-invasive - they just measure a bone in the baby's neck and check their heart/brain development. 

The blood tests can give you a good idea if you only have one baby (with more than one, the numbers in the blood counts can be way off) - but the ultrasound ups your accuracy regardless. 

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Is your doctor or the facility doing the test willing to do only one? My understanding of the blood work portion is that it measures HCG and PAPP-A. They would be able to tell you if the levels were in a normal range or not but I don't know if they would be able to give you a reliable probability based on just that.  If I was going to do just one, I would do the scan over the blood work - you get a good look at baby while they are taking measurements of everything.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I believe if you opt to skip the scan then you can do the Quad Screen blood work at 15 weeks.  This is what I am looking to do since my insurance wouldn't cover the full Sequential Screening.
  • It's somewhat unclear what the doctor does. Looks like just an 18 or so week anatomy scan. They handed me a bunch of paperwork of optional tests. It seems like all the tests are done through a different facility, too. I know my insurance covers the blood work, but only one u/s. I'm just trying to figure out what to do. Thanks for the advice!
  • We're getting the 2nd trimester blood work, not the 12 week nt or blood work.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am also doing the quad screening at 15 weeks but haven't seen many people mention it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePixelpants:
    I believe if you opt to skip the scan then you can do the Quad Screen blood work at 15 weeks.  This is what I am looking to do since my insurance wouldn't cover the full Sequential Screening.

This. We chose to do first trimester screening bloodwork (results next week) and the quad screen. I don't even remember talking about an NT scan with my doctor, but maybe we did. 

• We did the opposite...had the nuchal scan but opted out of the blood test. I tend to have high HCG and low PAPP-A, so I always end up with a higher than normal chance of chromosomal issues based on the screening test.

I do remember my OB talking about the second trimester blood test when I was pg with my first son. That sounds like a better option than a 12 week test.

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Are you sure they didn't do the new Harmony blood test? It is much more accurate than the old blood test and ultrasound and if you take it you do not need the first trimester screening.
    IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My doctor offered me both and I just went for the blood work instead. She said that alone is very acurate. I didn't feel the NT scan was something I needed. I didn't have it with any of my other kids either...always just the bloodwork for me.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• It's my understanding that the 1st Tri blood test is more accurate than the Quad screen.  Essentially, they use both the results from the blood test and NT Scan (ultrasound to measure the nuchal translucency on the baby's neck), enter it into a formula that will assess your risks for defects.  

The screening is completely non-invasive . . . we are doing both.  Often, the care provider will take the blood before the NT scan is done so you can have the results right away. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAmieV3:
    I am also doing the quad screening at 15 weeks but haven't seen many people mention it!

We are doing the quad screening also. Depending on the results from that, we will decide if we are going to do the Harmony bt.  I was able to talk my DH into the Harmony over an amnio.  They actually offered the Harmony to us the day they did the blood test for the NT scan but DH wanted to wait on the results.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"