March 2013 Moms

Crazy day: U/S & told our kids

I'm PgAL & high risk (separate from the PgAL). Today I measure at 6w3d - but I had my second U/S. Good and bad news. There's a baby growing in there and the heartbeat was perfect (I cried when I heard it. It's been nearly 10 years since I've had a pregnancy that's included an actual heartbeat). The bad news is that the blood thinners I have to have (I have daily injections of Lovenox) have caused 4 cysts to grow really fast. They don't look cancerous, but if they continue to grow, they'll be dangerous for both me and the baby.

My doctor says she'd schedule a surgery this week if I weren't pregnant. 

Since I am, she says she's willing to hold off until I hit my second trimester - so the baby will stand a chance of surviving. 

I'm crushed. 5 losses in a year & we finally got a heartbeat... but it might not last. My kids have obviously figured out that I'm sick. In addition to M/S, the cysts have made it nearly impossible for me to be out of bed for more than a couple of hours at a time. DH & I had promised them that after today's "tests" (the U/S) we would tell them what was going on. That's exactly what we did. We explained that even though I'm pregnant, we may not get a baby. My kids are old enough (9 and 11) to appreciate the significance of that, but they're both just so happy that they might get another sibling. They're bouncing around the house talking about names and nurseries... and I'm trying to stay very still in bed. 

I'm torn. Adding to the stress: DH is out tonight. He's telling his Mom right now. She will not be happy. I hope he comes home with a big Sprite from Sonic (with extra limes) and carves out some time to just stay in bed with me. I need comfort. It's been such a long day. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Crazy day: U/S & told our kids

• Oh my goodness, that is quite the news to hear.  I'm sorry that things are so complicated.  I pray that your baby grows healthy and strong and that your cysts back off until you can safely have surgery.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks, Jennifer.

I'm really hoping so, too. The doctor warned me that if I have sudden excruciating pain (she says I'd know what it was - that it would be similar to the blood clots I had in 2009; the ones that damn near killed me) I have to go to the ER immediately & they'll probably just do the surgery. I'm praying that won't happen. I want this baby so much. 

It's hard to think that when we first started our family, we both wanted kids - but we had no idea how hard it could be. I'm adopted because my parents lost their battle with infertility, yet somehow I never thought I'd have to go through this. My mother is being incredibly supportive. My respect for her just grows and grows with each passing day. I don't know how she handled so much loss. 

I just keep telling myself: As of right now, that baby is perfect and has a perfect heartbeat. That's exactly what I've been asking for and it's exactly what I've been blessed with. I just have to keep the faith and stay calm. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sending you some vibes!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am so happy you got to see a beating heart but I am sorry about the cysts! I will be praying that they don't grow and when you do have surgery that your lil one will be kept safe. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thoughts and prayers for you!! I hope you are blessed with H&H 9!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Thoughts and prayers for you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"