Stay at Home Moms

need measurmnets for 12-24 month clothes for sewing

I am making a homemade skirt for a friends daughter as a first birthday gift. The little girl wears 12-24 month clothes. It will be an elastic waist so it will be stretchy and forgiving. Do you think 18" waist with a 11" length seems about right? Or maybe 16" waist since it will stretch. I want it to fit her awhile...

Anyone have a LO in this size clothes or remember your LO being this size? Does that seem right? I usually sew for my own kid and just measure him so I never needed to convert the size to clothes measurements before. 

TIA

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: need measurmnets for 12-24 month clothes for sewing

• imageNandaB:
    I think 18 is a good idea. its better for it to be too big now, rather than only fitting her for a week.

That is what I was thinking.

It is hard to compare her to my sons size because they are a year different and so he is way bigger then her it seems.  But his whole first year he was 0%-3% on the scale (SO SMALL) and then at about 13 or 14 months he had a crazy growth spurt and got huge over night. LOL. So that is why I always have trouble gauging that age range. Plus I always thing DS had a growth spurt about that time so I'm always wanting to size up, not sure if it is a normal growth spurt age but he REALLY grew during those months.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• imageNandaB:
    12-24 is a really wide range. as an example- my son is in 18 months for most brands, 12 mo is too small and 24 mo still fall off of him. i can measure his 18 mo pants for you if you want. How does she compare to your son, as an example?

Could you? That would be awesome! My sons old clothes are all put away.... 

• Loading the player...
  • I just took measurements of DD for you.  She is currently the size of a 12 month old (19 lbs and 31") and has a 17 inch waist. Her inseam is 12".

She's not on the chart for 21 month olds though, so it's possible that her waist is small even for a 12 month old.  Hope that helped some anyway though.

• imageNandaB:

I just measured a pair of bigger 18 mo shorts. He is big for his age (97% for height, 85% for weight) and these shorts need to be rolled up at the waist. they are 9" across- so 18" around at the waist. they are 9" long, but they go to his shins, so I think 11" would be too long unless you are making the baby a full length skirt.

hope that was helpful. :-) 

Wouldn't the diameter (waist measurement) actually be 28", not 18?  9" is the diameter, so the waist should be 9 x pi.

ETA: Never mind. That would be almost a man sized waist, so that has to be wrong.
  • Thank you everyone!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"