Multiples
Options

Well, I wasn't crazy....

After the NT scan today, I'm being referred to an OBGYN Oncologist Surgeon. My cysts are huge, my ovaries measure 15cm and 20cm each (verses 11cm and 12cm last pregnancy), with cysts nearly as big as the babies. Hence why I am "showing" far more than I should be, at this point. 

They mentioned both OHSS and ovarian cancer. They advised that the probability that I'll have to have surgery in the next month to reduce the cysts is very high.

On the bright side, babies are healthy, and we're at the very bottom of the risk pool for trisomies.  

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

Re: Well, I wasn't crazy....

• Options
    I always take comfort in the wonders and powers of modern medicine. Best wishes!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageMrsLee04:
    I'm glad to hear your babies are well, but sorry to hear you're dealing with these issues.  I hope it's just OHSS.  Because I did IVF I had huge cysts on my ovaries well into the 2nd trimester.  You can see on my u/s pics that, like you said, they were as big as the babies, my MIL even asked if my cysts were more babies!  LOL  I hope you get good news soon.

Well, the scary part is that I had this exact same problem with DD # 2 in 2006 (only my ovaries then were only 11cm and 12cm), which points toward OHSS since they would expect more cyst growth with more HCG, which I'd have with the twins.... the problem is that I've NEVER had any fertility treatments... no Clomid..  no FSH of any kind.. I felt like I was being accused of lying with my last pregnancy, because all of the nurses and techs and doctors at the ER when one of my cysts burst kept asking over and over if I had done fertility treatments, and kept saying they never see this in any non-fertility treatment case. This time, the entire medical staff has full access to all of my medical records and knows I haven't done any of those treatments, and my Peri is just baffled because, apparently, this is so rare to see without treatments that it's almost unheard of. 

So, here's hoping for being that one in a million women who happens to have some other cause for OHSS, and not one of the 22K women who gets ovarian cancer each year...  

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yikes!  Hope it's just OHSS and they get you sorted out quickly.  Sorry you're dealing with this, but glad the babies are doing well.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Glad the babies checked out well!

My thoughts will be with you, hopefully it's easily treatable and nothing major. 

• Options
    That's crazy.  I hope you're feeling okay....GL and keep us posted Rynleigh....
  • Options
    Good luck to you

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• Options

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I didn't have cysts, but did develop mild OHSS during IVF. I am 18 weeks and my ovaries are still more than twice their normal size. My B said they may not go back down until after I deliver. It does make for some additional discomfort.

I hope you get a quick resolve and it's nothing serious.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options

I had very large cysts on both ovaries in 2009. One was tennis ball sized. I was scheduled for surgery, and when my doc got in there he found that both had ruptured prior to the surgery, and I was a mess thanks to the cysts, stage IV endo and large uterine fibroids. They cleared everything out and I underwent IVF immediately to try to salvage what was left of my ovaries, and we were lucky that it worked.

My OB bandied about the term "ovarian cancer" prior to my surgery, but my RE assured me that ovarian cysts don't always mean cancer, although it's likely that your C-125 levels may be high (which can be a cancer marker).

Anyway, just wanted to offer words of encouragement that large ovarian cysts aren't always cancer, and I wish you the best of luck for a continued healthy pregnancy. 

• Options
    Very scary :(  Praying that it's OHSS (I don't even know what that is but sounds like it's probably less scary than cancer) and that everything goes smoothly.  Best wishes to you!
  • Options
    I hope it is just OHSS.  That is just crazy!  Glad your babies are doing great though!  Keep us updated.
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"