Breastfeeding

Breast Feeding and Breast pumps

I plan on breastfeeding but don't want to always HAVE to be the one feeding Baby.  My SO also wants his turn to get to feed the baby.  So we're looking at pumps and equipment, but its a bit of a chore narrowing things down.  My friends with kids formula fed from the start so asking there isn't going to work.

What are the things I need to look for? Which bottles go with which pumps? Are there any qualities on certain brands that you have found wonderful or terrible? 

Re: Breast Feeding and Breast pumps

• The type of pump needed depends a lot on your lifestyle, will you be a SAHM, will you pump from work, etc.  Medela has a really good reputation but there are also other great brands.

I think most pumps come with a few bottles, some are interchangeable or you can buy adaptors for them to work with specific bottles.  You'll want to wait and see what bottles your baby takes before you stock up on any one type.

Many people store milk in bags for freezing and rotate through their stash.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • From someone who exclusively pumped... The pumps come with bottles that you pump into and then you can put them into whichever bottle you choose, but Dr. Brown's bottles fit on the Medela Pump In Style Advanced as do some of the other non-wide necked bottles. I loved my PISA and used is exclusively for 5 months. You will have to figure out once your baby gets here what size flanges you need (they range, basically, your nipple shouldn't hit the sides of the flange when you pump. There are pictures to show you this online. I have also heard good things about the Ameda pump (I think it is the one you can buy at Target). There is an EP-ing (exclusive pumping) facebook group, that accepts people even if you only pump once in a while and has great info that you can join if you are having issues once you start with the pump.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it depends on how much you will be pumping.  I went back to work at 8 weeks and pump at least 3 times a day while at work and add a pump session at night before bed.  Since I pump this much I invested in a Medela Pump In Style Advanced and love it so far!  It came with 4 bottles.  I only pump into those bottles but use Avent bottles to feed DS.  I like the wide opening to pour the milk into to reduce spills when transferring.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"