Multiples

26 weeks and dialating?

Okay MoM?s I need some advice.. I went for my 26 week check and she said I am dilated to 1cm. I did not see my normal MFM who was on vacation, but one of her new collages she was not that worried about it. While I think my MFM would have been. She put me on part time work and part time bed rest and then we are going to reassess the situation next week. I cut down to 4 hours a day and will be at home just baking my babies the rest of the time. I have been having a few contractions and just a whole lot of back pain! I am concerned but she said we have a good chance of making it to at least 28 weeks.. Any thoughts or stories or advice?

June 2004 BFP Aug 2005 Steven James Born TTC#2 Since July 2009 TI and Clomid BFP M/C Sept 2010 (Only with me for 10 weeks in my heart forever) IUI # 4 BFP!! Due 11/5/12 Praying for my sticky babies!! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 26 weeks and dialating?

• I would get a second opinion immediately.  PTL is nothing to mess with!  You could easily be dilated to 1cm for the next 12w but I would be worried.  If she has any doubt that you'll make it beyond 28w(let alone TO 28w!) then I would think full bed rest would be urged.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Yikes!  They aren't concerned about dialation and PTL at 26 weeks?  What was your cervical length?  Have you had steroid shots?  I would want a 2nd opinion immediately and be admitted for monitoring.  I have 28 weekers and we got really lucky but it was really rough.  Not to alarm you either but back pain can be an early sign of labor too.

• Loading the player...
  • Sounds a little laid back to me.  And I don't think "making it to 28 weeks" is particularly reassuring.  I'd ask to go back sooner than next week.  No real life advice, sorry.  But my fingers are crossed that it's really nothing to be worried about and everyone stays put for a LOT longer!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At 27 weeks I went in to ptl and dilated to 3cm. I was put on strict bed rest. Here I am at 34 weeks and still pregnant but if you are experiencing ptl you defiantly need to be on more than partial rest and get some steroid shots in.

I'd say if the back pain and contractions keep going much longer I would go into L&D. Just to make sure nothing is progressing.

• At 25w, I was dilated to 2cm and 70% effaced. I made it to 38+6 (spontaneous labor). Don't give up hope! I'll keep you in my thoughts. ETA: Even if all you have is a gut feeling that something doesn't seem right, go to L&D. My OB and the OBs on call at my hospital all agreed that with a multiple gestation, they'd rather have me come in for monitoring to err on the side of caution than wait longer than necessary to get treatment. 
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Oh my goodness! I would be running for a second opinion. While you can definitely be dialated and stay pregnant for many more weeks it can go the other way just as quickly. I would say strict bedrest is necessary at least with possible hospital monitoring and steroids. PTL is not something to mess with. The back pain you are experiencing concerns me too.
    TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
  • "maybe 28 weeks?"  Yea I would get a second opinion.  I agree with everyone else I would be a bit more concerned than her new colleague.  My MFM would flip her wig if she saw me dilated to 1cm.  As a PP said.. how long is your cervix? If you even think you feel anything off I would go straight to L&D. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OMG I would go to triage, just to get checked and monitored and have them know what is really going on. And get a second opinion. I thought I was having a few, like 1-3 contractions per hour based on what I felt. Turns out I was having 10-30 per hour and just couldn't feel them. I think it is always better to be safe than sorry, it won't hurt if everyone agrees. But chances are another doctor would have a dramatically different plan of care in your case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • My cervix dilating to 1 cm and contracting got me put in the hospital on bedrest and mag at 32w. 

Get checked out more thoroughly in OB triage. 

We  obviously don't have all the info, but that seems odd, and better safe than sorry. Especially at 26w. 

Keep us  posted!

• imagecookie_queen:
    Oh my goodness! I would be running for a second opinion. While you can definitely be dialated and stay pregnant for many more weeks it can go the other way just as quickly. I would say strict bedrest is necessary at least with possible hospital monitoring and steroids. PTL is not something to mess with. The back pain you are experiencing concerns me too.

This. I can't believe they didn't put you on full bed rest and some kind of tocolytic medication. 

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would ask the doctor office if they can get a hold of your regular mfm while she is on vacation.

At my 27 wk appt my mfm found my cervix to have shortened to 1.8 and I was having contractions I couldn't feel and was 1cm. Admitted to hosp for ptl and then released to bed rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"