Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

My child is a monster after daycare

LO goes to daycare 4 days a week.  She's gotten to be SOOOOO difficult on daycare nights. The 3 days she doesn't go, she's so much more pleasant.  I know its because she's super tired, but she just won't go down earlier than she does now.  Ideas? Suggestions?  I know they try to get her a second nap at daycare, but she just doesn't sleep well with all the excitement.

Help.  I'm tired at the end of a work day and I just wish I could enjoy my child.

She had me in tears tonight.  Feeling really frustrated right now.  I've said it since day one, I'm totally not cut out for motherhood - but trying my hardest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My child is a monster after daycare

• How long has she been attending this daycare?
    5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • For almost 10 months.  She's always happy to be dropped off and happy when we show up to pick her up.  So I don't think its that she is unhappy - I think she's just overstimulated & overtired.  Now that she's a toddler, she's in a larger room with more toys, activities, etc (which is totally age-appropriate) but it wears her out.  When she's at home we have quite a bit of mellow time and she naps about 2 hours.  At daycare, she only naps around 1 hr.
  • Loading the player...
  • My daycare makes LO wait until 12 for a nap, and there's only 1 nap.  She still needs two naps, and the first should be at 10.  When I get her, it's too soon for a second nap, but too long to go to bedtime.  She's just a grump. 

Your LO should be able to do 1 nap (based on her age).  Does she have a lovey thing you can bring to daycare?  We are working on that now, trying to get LO to attach to a lovey (instead of needing to twirl my hair) to get to sleep.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The PP's have given good advice.  I just want to say, I'm sorry!  Hang in there. 

• It seems like the daycare would have mellow time/rest time built into the schedule.  I know 2 nap times a day for a toddler room isn't going to happen, but I would think there would be some quieter time (teacher reading to the kids while they rest?) that would be beneficial. Do they do anything like that?
  • I'm sorry. I bet you are doing a better job than you think. DS takes two one hour naps at home (9am and 1pm). At daycare, he naps for two hours around 12 or 1pm. However, I can tell he is really really tired when he gets home. He does seem to be all over the place but is usually not a terror when overtired and I give him a snack right away. I found that helped for my own sake. I like PP suggestion of water/snack/walk. Hang in there!
    5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • imageCTGirl30:

Might be that the transition from daycare (super stimulating) to home (calmer) might be tough for her. Especially if she's very tired at the end of a long day.

I've found myself frustrated to the point of tears, too, when I'm struggling on rough nights with DD...what helps us both is this - as soon as we walk in the door at home, I immediately give her a sippy of water & a snack. She's often really thirsty and hungry (despite eating lunch and both an AM and PM snack at school) and it helps to address any physical needs first. Then I put her in the stroller and we take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood. Helps to just wind down a bit - then we come inside and she's more relaxed to sit down and eat dinner.

We all have moments where we question ourselves - so I get it. But the key to focus on is the "trying my hardest" part. That's all anyone can ask. Hang in there.

Thank you this is a great suggestion! And thanks for the kind words.  Some days I feel like I might be the only one struggling so hard.  I have more patience than I ever knew I had - but even then, it has its limits!

• Thanks everyone for the input.  I mentioned it to the administrator at daycare today - and she said they'll give her a larger snack in the pm, especially on the days she's there till 6:15.  She also thought some of it might be that she is hitting a big milestone (just started to talk!) so that might be.  I know with other milestones we struggled through some bad times as well.

Thanks again.  Nice to be able to come here and not feel so alone with the frustrations.  I don't know how I'm gonna make it through the toddler years - but I know I have to!!

• I was going to suggest the snack thing too. We went through this bigtime right at the one year mark, and I discovered that she was in a crazy growth spurt and was coming home starving! I started walking in the door and putting her right in her highchair, and feeding her until she stopped eating. Some days she'd eat for a couple of hours! Then she grew an inch overnight :)
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"