Breastfeeding
Options

Selfish question about going dairy free

Let me start by saying that I obviously love my LO very much. With that being said, the past 4 months have been really hard on me. She's been a challenging baby and I basically just feel like I'm doing everything wrong. After some research and reading a lot on here, I'm thinking she might be sensitive to dairy. My question is, would it be at all beneficial to cut obvious sources of dairy and then go from there? Or should I suck it up and do a straight up MSPI diet? As pathetic as it is, food is something that really makes me feel better lately and the thought of giving so much of it up and the sheer research of it all makes me feel anxiety ridden and overwhelmed. And I don't even know if it will help. I will absolutely do whatever is best for her, I am just wondering if cutting obvious sources would ever be enough or if it's just prolonging the inevitable.

Also, if you are on the diet and accidentally have something, does it then take 2 more weeks to clear out?

The reasons I'm looking into this is for general fussiness and potential eczema on her cheeks. Pedi suggested cutting back on dairy and coffee/tea and starting Zantac. 

Thanks for any insight. I give all of you MSPI moms a ton of credit.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Selfish question about going dairy free

• Options
    First off, stop beating yourself up! I have read many of your posts (April mon too) and I know that you are doing everything you can to keep your LO happy and healthy. It is so hard to think that your sweet baby is hurting or unhappy because of something you are doing- believe me I struggle with that everyday. I decided to follow the MSPI diet (although I do have soybean oil and soy lecithin) and it took 5-6 weeks to really see a difference. I got very sad, frustrated, desperate, etc many times but I'm glad that I stuck with it because Chloe is a much happier baby now! As far as minor slip ups, I am too scared to eat out much so I think my mess ups are at a minimum, but from what I have read it takes much less time to clear one time incidents than the initial clearing. I honestly think you should give it a try. Maybe even along with the med and later try and phase it 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sorry, phone error!

Anyway, I think you can follow the MSPI diet and still have yummy indulgent treats. I eat Oreos or sorbet everyday, sometimes both! Good luck, lots of moms on here can completely understand your frustration :( 

imageBabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I cut out major dairy, no glasses of milk, no ice cream , etc, It helped a ton. Give that a shot first
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it!
  • Options

imagesarabrn:
    First off, stop beating yourself up! I have read many of your posts (April mon too) and I know that you are doing everything you can to keep your LO happy and healthy. It is so hard to think that your sweet baby is hurting or unhappy because of something you are doing- believe me I struggle with that everyday. I decided to follow the MSPI diet (although I do have soybean oil and soy lecithin) and it took 5-6 weeks to really see a difference. I got very sad, frustrated, desperate, etc many times but I'm glad that I stuck with it because Chloe is a much happier baby now! As far as minor slip ups, I am too scared to eat out much so I think my mess ups are at a minimum, but from what I have read it takes much less time to clear one time incidents than the initial clearing. I honestly think you should give it a try. Maybe even along with the med and later try and phase it 

All of this.  My slip ups are more forgetfulness than anything else.  It usually takes about 12-24 hours for it to work through his system, and what I get is more gas and fussiness.  Good luck!!! 

• Options
    Going to a MSPI diet is a huge drag, but so worth it. I found my cranky baby turned into such a happy baby. You can tell t hat hefeels better, he sleeps and naps better...etc. Give it a try, you will find treats that you can have, but when the baby feels better you might not miss the food pick me up. Good luck! 
  • Options
    I cut out all dairy then added back baked in dairy without a problem. I will occasionally have cheese on a sandwich. Blue cheese made him miserable for a day. I will not even try creamer, milk, cream cheese, ice cream, sour cream.....the obvious culprits. I HATED it at first but have found it has helped me lose weight. I'm glad I didn't give up. I do miss pizza though!
  • Options

I started with just major dairy then on day 3 I realized I just wanted her better whatever it took so I went full MSPI.  It took about 2.5-3 weeks to see a difference but it was so rewarding to see her get better.  Now that she is I'm slowly going to reintroduce things to find her real level.  So far this week oil & lecithin don't seem to be bothering her.  

For me it was better to just get it done than to dink around for months.

Also I wanted to add that it cost me about $50 replacing basic foods (milk, bread, oil, fake butter, cereal, mayo, salad dressing, ect) and I lost 3lbs per week the first two weeks b/c I just couldn't figure out what I could eat.  The first few grocery trips were really slow & intimidating too but it's getting better every time.

image   image

• Options
    you could try just cutting out major dairy first to see if that helps & work from there. i did full mspi for 7 months including hidden & it is extremely hard in the beginning. once you figure out the other options- rice milk, coconut milk, yogurt, creamer, ice cream. enjoy life.com cookies & snacks, larabars, it is easier. i just stopped yesterday at a week shy of 8 months. i just couldn't do it anymore- was down almost 10 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. i am proud that i did it but don't beat yourself up if you can't. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"