2nd Trimester
Options

vaccine for pertussis? Wanting opinions!

Any mommy to be going get to vaccine for pertussis?. Also are you asking the ones who will be around the baby alot to get it as well?

I really want all yalls opinions! Thanks ahead of time.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers] BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker image

Re: vaccine for pertussis? Wanting opinions!

• Options
    Whooping cough or pertussis is a huge epidemic right now. Currently their are 18 states seriously effected. This can kill babies and young children since they aren't fully immunized for like 2 years or something against it. I am getting it, DH is getting it, I have asked all friends and family to get it as well. There is too much of a risk for people not to just get it. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yes and yes! I informed my mom that nobody will be allowed to see me if they have not had the vaccine! Please, for your baby, get it and encourage others to do so.

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am wanting to get it! I was just wondering what other mothers think of it. I know the risk of not getting it I wsa just wondering if I am the only one that is taking this very seriously or if i was over reacting at all.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers] BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker image
  • Options
    I already got it, and DH is going to get it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our hospital required me and husband to get it prior to discharge. We had my parents get it as well. This time around, we Rae going to have anyone visiting us get it. No vaccine, no visit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker "Nobody said it would be easy, they just said it would be worth it."
  • Options
    HildawHildaw member
    I will be getting it after delivery but before I am discharged from the hospital. My husband will be getting it before delivery, probably sometime relatively soon. My parents got it when my niece was born 1.5 years ago, and I will be bringing it up with the inlaws.
  • Options
    DH and I were vaccinated after DS was born.  I haven't forced people to get it, however, I WILL NOT allow anyone around LO who has not been vaccinated against the flu.  Especially since LO will be born smack in the middle of flu season.  In fact, we are avoiding our big family Christmas party because LO will probably be only 2-3 weeks at the time and I don't want to risk it.
    image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You aren't overreacting. My hospital offers all moms the vaccine before they take their newborn home and asks all family members to sign up for a vaccine as well. If you don't take the vaccine, you have to sign paperwork informing you of the risks and what could happen to your child. That was how they handled it 2 years ago when I had my DD (before pertussis was all over the news). 

• Options
    Are any of you getting it while pregnant? I'm a little nervous about getting any vaccines while expecting and wanted to see how common it was.
  • Options
    BLuvsEBLuvsE member
    I think DH and I both already have it. We'll check and if not we, and anyone else who will be caring for LO will be getting it. I will not be getting any vaccines while pregnant.
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • Options
    I plan to get it asap after delivery.  I hope my hospital will allow me to get it right there.  DH had got his after DD was born 2 years ago.  I know my is out of date, and I actually talked to my doc tonight about it and you can't get the vaccine while preggo.  So we will be waiting.  I also plan to strongly reccomend it to family and friends who will be around our kiddos. 
  • Options
    I got it yesterday at my midwives office. They recommend pregnant women get it after 20 weeks.
  • Options

imageqteepie42899:
    I plan to get it asap after delivery.  I hope my hospital will allow me to get it right there.  DH had got his after DD was born 2 years ago.  I know my is out of date, and I actually talked to my doc tonight about it and you can't get the vaccine while preggo.  So we will be waiting.  I also plan to strongly reccomend it to family and friends who will be around our kiddos. 

From the CDC:

Pregnant women who have not been previously vaccinated with Tdap should get one dose of Tdap preferably during the third trimester or late second trimester ? or immediately postpartum before leaving the hospital or birthing center with a newborn. By getting Tdap during pregnancy, maternal pertussis antibodies transfer to the newborn, likely providing protection against pertussis in early life, before the baby starts getting DTaP vaccines. Tdap will also protect the mother at time of delivery, making her less likely to transmit pertussis to her infant.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options

I am also going to make sure everyone who sees baby is up on their shots. A woman I used to work with lost her baby to it. While I haven't talked to this woman since I quit that job its still so sad! So everyone is getting one. I supposed I should start spreading that news so people can prepare!

I am a bit confused, I asked a nurse about it and she said I had just gotten my Tetanus shot in November so I was good. That is the shot people are supposed to get and if I got it in November I am good? Or is there something else we should be getting?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

First, I cannot receive the pertussis vaccine, so no I won't be getting vaccinated. I've had titers done & am immune.

Second, the vaccine doesn't necessarily prevent transmission of pertussis - it is pretty effective at keeping you from actually displaying symptoms, but it won't guarantee that you won't pass it on to baby as a carrier.

Third, most of the outbreaks are due to the growing number of unvaccinated children. There was a large outbreak in Washington state (near Seattle, I believe) that was based in the unvaccinated population - meaning kids that have NEVER had a pertussis vaccine. 

• Options
    eb1113eb1113 member

When I was pg with DD two years ago, they started heavily playing the commercials.  I asked one of my Drs about it and she told me that I will get it after DD is born.  She also highly recommended that at least DH get the vaccine.  I'm not sure if I'll make everyone around get it, I haven't decided that yet. DH is going to get it soon. 

However, with the baby due in January, I am going to be much more careful with who is around and their health!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I will be getting it and so will hubby.  I've talked to mom and she already has it so, now I just have to talk to the others.
  • Options
    I got it right after DD was born as did DH (2 years ago, they did not recommend it for pregnant woman or I would have done it while pregnant).  We also asked our parents and siblings to get it which they all did.  It's too important not to! 
  • Options
    I've heard that expectant moms should get vaccinated after 20 weeks because it helps the baby after that point. I need to ask my doctor about it, but I'm definitely interested.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options

imagekarkissy09:
    Are any of you getting it while pregnant? I'm a little nervous about getting any vaccines while expecting and wanted to see how common it was.

I was wondering the same thing... Is it safe and are there any risk factors in getting while pregnant?

• Options
    imagepistolpackinmomma:

imageqteepie42899:

From the CDC:

Pregnant women who have not been previously vaccinated with Tdap should get one dose of Tdap preferably during the third trimester or late second trimester ? or immediately postpartum before leaving the hospital or birthing center with a newborn. By getting Tdap during pregnancy, maternal pertussis antibodies transfer to the newborn, likely providing protection against pertussis in early life, before the baby starts getting DTaP vaccines. Tdap will also protect the mother at time of delivery, making her less likely to transmit pertussis to her infant.

I am not questioning other peoples opinion on this....just saying what my OB told me at my appt just last night.  He will NOT allow me to get it until after delivery. 

• Options
    My pediatrician recommends that the MTB gets vaccinated during pregnancy, after 20 weeks so that some of the immunity passes to the infant.  I was going to hold off until delivery but with the outbreaks getting worse and worse, I'm going to get it next Monday.  My SIL and brother had the vaccination when their kids were born and my mom is looking into whether she's up to date or not.  
    ~ Single Mother by Choice ~ IUI with donor sperm - BFP on 2nd attempt! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes and yes----a 7 week old in my state just passed away from this 2 weeks ago.  No need to take any chances.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"