1st Trimester

PSA: Migraine Sufferers

****Please do not take this advice without first consulting with your doctor!!!**** (I mean, you can, but I wouldn't advise it!  Smile )

I talked with my doctor yesterday about the migraine I suffered the week I found out I was pregnant and asked what I could do/take in the future.  Obviously rx meds are off the table as they are vasoconstrictors, but he did say he is very comfortable with my taking Excedrin Migraine!  Thank heaven because this is the only thing that works for me!!  The downside - he said (and I've noticed) that Excedrin Migraine is harder to find as he heard that they are no longer making it!  WHAT?!  So my lunch today is dedicated to trying to find a store that potentially still sells it and stocking up!  Otherwise, he said I could take what is in it - 1 asprin, 1 tylenol and some caffeine.  He does not want me taking this often, of course, but when the migraine isn't relenting, he feels perfectly confident in allowing me to take it.

I wanted to get this out to all of the migraine sufferers out there, but I cannot stress enough that you should DEFINTELY speak to your doctor first!!  They may not feel as confident in this as mine does.  I trust my OB completely, but you should definitely consult with yours!

Good luck ladies!!

Re: PSA: Migraine Sufferers

• Couple things.  Rx meds are not "off the table."  There are meds that doctors will prescribe during pregnancy (I personally took Fioricet).  I don't disagree with your doctor that an Excedrin every once in a while won't hurt much but because of the aspirin there is potential for issues so you're right, no one should take it without researching and consulting their doctor.  Excedrin is currently off the market - it was recalled because of broken pills in bottles and also unlabeled (and potentially not even Excedrin) pills in bottles.  There are generic versions though.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageelmoali:
    Couple things.  Rx meds are not "off the table."  There are meds that doctors will prescribe during pregnancy (I personally took Fioricet).  I don't disagree with your doctor that an Excedrin every once in a while won't hurt much but because of the aspirin there is potential for issues so you're right, no one should take it without researching and consulting their doctor.  Excedrin is currently off the market - it was recalled because of broken pills in bottles and also unlabeled (and potentially not even Excedrin) pills in bottles.  There are generic versions though.

I wasn't aware there were Rx options.  He told me not to take any of them, so that's why I added that.  Thanks for updating it for anyone who would want to look in to it!!

I was about to start looking in to why Excedrin isn't available.  (I have two full bottles at home that I haven't touched because I didn't realize I could use them).  Thank you for that update as well!

• Loading the player...
  • imageHeartstrings13:

imageelmoali:
    Couple things.  Rx meds are not "off the table."  There are meds that doctors will prescribe during pregnancy (I personally took Fioricet).  I don't disagree with your doctor that an Excedrin every once in a while won't hurt much but because of the aspirin there is potential for issues so you're right, no one should take it without researching and consulting their doctor.  Excedrin is currently off the market - it was recalled because of broken pills in bottles and also unlabeled (and potentially not even Excedrin) pills in bottles.  There are generic versions though.

I wasn't aware there were Rx options.  He told me not to take any of them, so that's why I added that.  Thanks for updating it for anyone who would want to look in to it!!

I was about to start looking in to why Excedrin isn't available.  (I have two full bottles at home that I haven't touched because I didn't realize I could use them).  Thank you for that update as well!

No problem :)  The Rx isn't something most people will jump to but Tylenol was like a sugar pill for me and I was literally napping on the floor of my boss' office trying to get rid of headaches and going to bed the minute I got home.  1 Rx pill would set me right vs many, many Tylenol so the pros outweighed any cons.

I *personally* still use the Excedrin I have because there are no broken pills and I've looked and mine are clearly labeled as they should be.  But that's a judgement call :)

• I also take the Fioricet, which is really just Tylenol, caffeine, and a low-dose barbiturate (sleeping aid).  I really find that I get about the same effect if I take 2 Tylenol and chase them with a Coke.  It's definitely not the same pain relief effect as the meds I took before pregnancy, but it's better than just taking Tylenol.  I agree - Tylenol alone is basically just a sugar pill for me.  I just didn't find that the added ingredient of the barbiturate in the Fioricet was really making much difference, so I figured if I didn't need that part of it, why take it?  

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageteachingirl28:
    I also take the Fioricet, which is really just Tylenol, caffeine, and a low-dose barbiturate (sleeping aid).  I really find that I get about the same effect if I take 2 Tylenol and chase them with a Coke.  It's definitely not the same pain relief effect as the meds I took before pregnancy, but it's better than just taking Tylenol.  I agree - Tylenol alone is basically just a sugar pill for me.  I just didn't find that the added ingredient of the barbiturate in the Fioricet was really making much difference, so I figured if I didn't need that part of it, why take it?  

It's interesting how differently meds work for different people because for me, the added ingredient is key.  So much so that my regular doctor still prescribes it for me because it works SO much better for me than other stuff.  I still (not pregnant right now) try Excedrin first but if I can tell it's not touching the pain, I take one Fioricet and I'm usually good to go.  I had one doctor tell me I couldn't have the Rx because it's addictive.  Then I pointed out I had taken 12 in like, 12 months.  Yeah, major addiction going on there :-p

• Man, you guys are lucky that ANYTHING works for your migraines. I have taken everything possible and nothing even dents it. The only thing that has ever worked for me was Seroquel as a prevenative measure and it's not commonly used for migraines AND I can't take it while I'm pregnant. Some people do but my doctors dont want me too. So, I just have to ride these migraines out. Tough gig...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • A "dose" (2 pills) of Excedrin Migraine is just 500mg Tylenol, 500mg Asprin & 130mg of caffeine.  You can just take Tylenol, Asprin & drink a coke for the same effect.  Just FYI the label says not to take it during third tri (because of the Asprin).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • PSA: Excedrin "Migraine" is The Exact Same Thing as regular excedrin.  Read the packaging / ingredients -- it's just marketing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad exceed rime migraine works for some. Mine have been so severe this time I've been given shots of Demerol while hospitalized. I also have a prescription for Fiorcet which had been working well. When that wouldn't put a dent on the headache I was referred to a neurologist.

*excedrine IPad will not let me fix that.

• imagejessicaseaberg:

PSA: Excedrin "Migraine" is The Exact Same Thing as regular excedrin.  Read the packaging / ingredients -- it's just marketing.

I forgot about that but yeah, you're totally right :)  I think both kinds are part of the recall though. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"