February 2012 Moms

Tell me this isn't heartbreaking.

Quick back story - I work with a woman whose 21 year old daugher and her husband (let's call them Barbie and Ken) have two under two (well, the older boy JUST turned 2).  Barbie and Ken are both unemployed (by choic), live with the woman I work with in a shoddy rental and are pretty much the face of what is wrong with this country.

Ken's parents have never seen either of their grandsons.  They are coming to visit for a week, and then taking the older boy with them to another state for a month, because "They deserve time with him."  I keep telling the woman I work that that's one of the cruelest things I've ever heard.  Thoughts??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tell me this isn't heartbreaking.

• Seriously!?!?  I would think that the two year old could be seriously traumatized by being removed from his home and living with essentially strangers for a month.  That seems very wrong to me.  And how are the parents okay with this?  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• cs1225cs1225 member

imagekristin172429:
    Seriously!?!?  I would think that the two year old could be seriously traumatized by being removed from his home and living with essentially strangers for a month.  That seems very wrong to me.  And how are the parents okay with this?  

This. I would never leave my kids for a month with people they know well, let alone strangers! I would miss them too much. 

• Loading the player...
  • That's what I keep saying!  The grandma isn't really playing with a full deck either - she smokes a pack of cigs a day, but goes to the food bank b/c she financially qualifies based on her income.

I think, honestly, the parents just see it as getting a break.  Neither have an education and spent their unemployment money on video games, computers and massages.  They used to feed the 2 year old puree'd canned peas - not frozen peas - canned peas.  How do you not realize what garbage is in that?? It just breaks my heart for the kids. 

• It is terrible.

I don't think the grandparents are fully to blame though. They are stupid for thinking this is a good idea but they can't take the child without the parents allowing it. I wouldn't be surprised if they took the kid and then filed some sort of restraining order/emergency custody order for the parents being unfit.

But then again, how come Ken's parents have never seen the kids? Does Ken try to keep them away? Do they live far away? Do they disagree on how Ken and Barbie are living/raising their kids?

• imageCotterpinDoozer:

That's what I keep saying!  The grandma isn't really playing with a full deck either - she smokes a pack of cigs a day, but goes to the food bank b/c she financially qualifies based on her income.

I think, honestly, the parents just see it as getting a break.  Neither have an education and spent their unemployment money on video games, computers and massages.  They used to feed the 2 year old puree'd canned peas - not frozen peas - canned peas.  How do you not realize what garbage is in that?? It just breaks my heart for the kids. 

meh.  Our grocery store canned peas have nothing in them but green peas and water.  The major labels usually only have some added salt.  Not that salt is the best thing for baby, but it isn't an OMG faux pas, in my opinion.  At least they know to give their kiddo some vegetables.

But as for everything else, that situation sounds HORRIBLE for the kiddos.  Are you sure the older one wouldn't be better off getting some hopefully developmentally-appropriate time with mature adults, instead of living in a crowded house with parents that don't give a crap?  Maybe the grandparents will be a welcome breath of fresh air in that toddler's life?

• Terrible, just terrible. Can you imagine being 2 and living with people you don't know for a whole month. I would think it would be scary just to go to McDonalds with them...let alone another state for a month! So sad!

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • That's awful, I can't believe these parents are willing to let their child be taken away from them for that length of time. I imagine this will traumatize the child and have a lasting effect.  It's very selfish on everyone's part.

As for the peas, I can only assume you are referring to the BPA in canned foods?  I for one will not be feeding Natalie anything canned for as long as I can help it because of this.  I know there's harmful ingredients in most everything out there these days.  I'm trying my best to avoid what I can. 

• First of all, their lazy a$$es need to get jobs and stop mooching off this poor woman!  I won't get on my soap box here!  LOL

Second, there's no way in he!! that I'd let my kid go off for a month with anyone, let alone some he's just met!  They're nuts.  If they don't work, I'll assume that they're home with the kids all the time, so the kiddo doesn't get much socializing with strangers?  This poor kid will be traumatized for sure.  Oh, my heart is breaking for this little boy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"